1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1Corinthians 13:13 Does only love abide forever?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by fortytworc, Apr 4, 2012.

1. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

This may not be a real big deal, but I have assumed for some time that only Love would last forever per 1Corinthians13:13
    "And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." I just noticed that though Love is "the greatest" of the three, they all will be forever. the word abide is: - Original: μένω
    - Transliteration: Meno
    - Phonetic: men'-o
    - Definition:
    1. to remain, abide
    a. in reference to place
    1. to sojourn, tarry
    2. not to depart 1a
    b. to continue to be present 1a
    c. to be held, kept, continually
    d. in reference to time
    1. to continue to be, not to perish, to last, endure 1b
    e. of persons, to survive, live
    f. in reference to state or condition
    1. to remain as one, not to become another or different
    2. to wait for, await one
    - Origin: a root word
    - TDNT entry: 13:34,6
    - Part(s) of speech: Verb
    The definition using words such as: not to depart; to continue to be, not to perish
    pop out to me and say that I was mistaken.
    I wonder if fishing will last forever since there will be MENO? lol

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Traditional Christianity teaches that God's hate abides forever.

3. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

Pokin' around in the dark here. Would some say : 'His Anger, Justice, Holiness?'

What are you talking about?

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Logically, God can't love the people he sent to Hell, can he? Isn't Hell forever?

5. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

at some point death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. I have a few questions myself about hell. I don't deny that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob can do whatever He wants to do, but there are many people (Baptist and otherwise) who have some honest questions about this. (Rom 5:12 [ASV])
    Therefore, as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin; and so death passed unto all men, for that all sinned:—

(Rom 5:13 [ASV])
    for until the law sin was in the world; but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

(Rom 5:14 [ASV])
    Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam’s transgression, who is a figure of him that was to come.

(Rom 5:15 [ASV])
    But not as the trespass, so also is the free gift. For if by the trespass of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God, and the gift by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound unto the many.

(Rom 5:16 [ASV])
    And not as through one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment came of one unto condemnation, but the free gift came of many trespasses unto justification.

(Rom 5:17 [ASV])
    For if, by the trespass of the one, death reigned through the one; much more shall they that receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one, even Jesus Christ.

(Rom 5:18 [ASV])
    So then as through one trespass the judgment came unto all men to condemnation; even so through one act of righteousness the free gift came unto all men to justification of life.

(Rom 5:19 [ASV])
    For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the one shall the many be made righteous.

(Rom 5:20 [ASV])
    And the law came in besides, that the trespass might abound; but where sin abounded, grace did abound more exceedingly:

(Rom 5:21 [ASV])
    that, as sin reigned in death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Some might add to some of Paul's points- If animal sacrifices covered a whole previous year if sins for one nation(Israel) and those sacrifices did not really do the job, shouldn't the perfect Sacrifice of Jesus be enough to take care of all of this worlds' sin forever? Honest questions that reasonable people have that get them stoned to death and excommunicated.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

The OT sacrifices only covered misdemeanors, not felonies. People who committed the big baddies were executed on the spot or right after the trial. The annual sacrifice would not do them any good.

It was Christianity which invented God's general forgiveness for serious felonies.