1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1st Page -- HTML Editor

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastor Larry, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Is anyone familiar with this software? I downloaded it last night to try it out. I am new to HTML programming so I am really just playing.

2. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor Larry:

Yes, I use that software for my webpages. The software has various toolbars that automatically insert HTML code so that you do not have to memorize it--- then there is a "Preview" page to instantly see what your work looks like.

For example, if I want to italicize a word, I highlight it and hit the "I" botton where it will then automatically insert &lt;i&gt;&lt;/i&gt; at the beginning and ends of the word. It can do a lot more complex things than that, of course. However, I deliberately keep my site very basic as I am concerned that some things (e.g. certain java script, interacting, and other bells and whistles) are just going to cause someone's computer to lock up. I stay with text, frames, backgrounds and background pics, tables, pictures and hyperlinks, downloadable files and similar stuff only. Some people(like my kid) want all kinds of cool, movable stuff and fading in and out things which I found does not work well on every computer. Therefore, I cannot judge the ability of the software there, although I think it creates it OK since my kid also uses it.

One word of caution--- If you do a virus scan, sometimes it finds an "infected" file in this software. Evrsoft assured their users its just a false positive--- you can simply delete that file and will not affect the functioning if it bothers you.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Funny you should mention that. I installed it this morning on my laptop and Norton caught that during installation. It quarantined it and I deleted it. I emailed them to let them know. I didn't know if they knew about it or not ...

I am trying to figure it out little by little ... I don't understand some things in it and I don't know how to use them. But I don't know how to describe it well enough to ask ... lol ... Talk about a dilemma ...

4. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pastor Larry:

Yes, you did the right thing, and yes, they know about it. They have their own forums and people have been discussing this already.

As for getting familiar with evrsoft, I would get familiar with basic HTML first. You don't have to memorize commands, just get a feel for them. This way you know what's happening when you click on the toolbar buttons for certain features. As a help, I uploaded (just for you [​IMG] ) on my site my basic HTML notes and commands and what they do. I used these notes in my earlier days of creating web pages. Just click on the link to retrieve them. Also, feel free to copy or distribute these notes--- I'm not one of these copyright fanatics (I believe in free speech) that I must put my name to everything. Here's the link:

http://www.eternalthroneofdavid.com/html_tags.htm

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Thanks for that. I will bookmark that and keep it handy.

I started a couple of days ago in notepad with an online tutorial I found. My brother is a programmer and network admin for this company. TicketsNow He told me it was easy and gave me a few basics to get started. He was originally going to program a church site for us and he was writing another program as well for us but he took a new job with this place and is swamped. So he told me it was pretty easy to learn enough to do some basic web pages. When he moved over to Chicago he has used the web extensively in looking for a church and finding out what they believe and the vital info. For the cheap price that we can start a web page for we are going to put one up and see what happens with it.

But that leaves me to do the programming. I have had the designs sketched out for a long time but he never got around to being able to program it so we didn't. Now I am trying to learn enough to get it together. He said that using tables was a lot easier than using frames for what we we are doing. I worked with it a while last night but had a hard time with a couple of things. I know what I want, I just have to figure out how to get it to work right ...