1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 Corinthians 5v17

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 27, 2003.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Would like your input on this.

I have always heard this explained that "if any man be in Christ he is a new creation, old things are passing away and all thing are in the process of becoming new."

While working on a Masters Thesis I was forced to look into more detail. My Greek is very weak, but all of the verbs here are either aorist of perfect implying completed actions. If that is the case the AV translation is accurate. If any man be in Christ HE IS and new creature. Old things ARE PASSED away and all thing ARE BECOME new."

How about it Greeks scholars? Help!!

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

It seems that all my translations agree with the KJV:

NASB: he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

NKJV: he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

NIV: he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

The only difference is that the modern versions are usuing a different textual variant (leaving out the word pantes (all)) and the modern versions read the kaina (new) as the subject while the KJV-NKJV keep the generic subject embedded in the verb and read the kaina as a predicate nomitive. The Greek is ambigious and the issue can only be decided by context. All the modern versions capture the sense of the perfect as "have become new" or "new have come" while the KJV is a little outdated english here, "all things are become new" (???).

Now that I think of it, the textual variant the KJV uses word force the kaina to be a predicate nomitive (ie, all things have become new) and the Greek would not be ambigious. It is interesting that the NIV-NASB translators choose to translate it the way they did up agaist whatever this scribe thought it meant.