1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2 questions about the Holy Spirit and reading the bible

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I have 2 questions which are on my mind which deal with the bible and the Holy Spirit working in us and changing us and also reminding us of scriptures in situations where we need it.

1) Have you ever experienced it that in a certain situation you suddenly were reminded of a verse which fit to this situation? I think many christians have experienced this and they will attribute this to God. But what I ask myself is this:
    Can God only remind you of those verses which you know and which you have memorized? I mean is God limited by your memory? Or have you ever experienced it that all of a sudden you had a bible verse in your mind which you didn't even know? I have never experienced this. Does this mean that God is limited if I don't know many bible verses? I think I cannot quote many verses. Usually I only remember a few key words from a verse which enables me to look up those verses with e-sword but I don't fully memorize bible verses.

2) How exactly is reading the bible supposed to change us? I mean who does the work? I mean if I read the bible and then simply learn what is good and what is not good like a pupil in school and memorize these things and then try to obey them then where's God in this? I mean if I simply learn these things and then try to obey them then where is the difference between me and a dog which is taught not to do something? If it's simply learning and applying then where is the spiritual part of it? Where is the Holy Spirit in this? I don't want to have the feeling that I am changing myself because then I could attirbute all things to myself and I don't want this. Does the bible say anything about this?
    When I read the bible and the bible says that this and that is good and this and that is bad then I don't want to feel like a machine which simply saves the information and then remembers it in a fitting situation and then simply applies it. I miss the miraculous part. When I read in the bible that it's bad to steal and the next time I am tempted to steal something I simply remember that the bible says that stealing is bad then it feels like I'm doing all the work. Is it supposed to be this way? Sure, the bible is given to us to instruct us but if it's simply about memorizing rules and then applying them then it's also a bit too simple and too comprehensible. How can I say that God changes me and that God is working in me when I do all the work of memorizing and applying? Where is the difference between a christian reading in the bible that stealing is bad and then he doesn't steal anymore and an a child which touches a hot stove and gets burned and then never does it again because it learned that hot stoves are not to be touched?

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Jer:15:16: Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Immerse yourself in the Word. Even if you don't memorize Scripture, the Holy Spirit will bring it to mind when you need it. You do the reading and speaking the Word (work). Jesus has already done the rest.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.
    Isa 55:11

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But does this mean that I shall try to remember all these things and then simply apply them? But then isn't it like learning from a statute book and simply not doing what's forbidden?

5. I Am Blessed 24

Once they are in your heart, you don't have to try and remember them. The Holy Spirit will bring you a remembrance of them.

Would that be such a bad way to live?

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But somehow nobody answered my question but maybe this question also cannot be answered. I think it simply sucks when I have the feeling that those things which change about me are only due to my own effort. I want God to change me and I don't want to change myself by learning what's right and wrong and then simply applying it. This is not supernatural or miraculous. You can even train an animal to do certain things and not to do other things. :(

7. I Am Blessed 24

God gave you the Book, He is not going to read it to you!

God provides food for the birds, but He doesn't throw it into the nest for them...

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Oh man, do you not know what I am talking about?

I am talking about the heart! I cannot change myself. If God doesn't do it then nobody will.
    If reading the bible alone already changed you then the pharisees would have been saints....

9. I Am Blessed 24

I DO know what you are talking about. Do you know what I am talking about?

Get in the Word and the washing of the water of the Word WILL change your heart. That is what God told us to do.

10. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But how does this work? How are you supposed to change? While you're reading or later on? Does it happen as a continual process or rather in periods?

11. I Am Blessed 24

All of the above.

We are continuously growing and changing. God will only give us what we can handle at the time.

It's like a baby on milk. There is a reason we don't give a baby steak to eat. He feeds on milk until he can digest fruits, then veggies, then finally meat.

That's what our Christian walk is like.

12. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But why are those things not directly changed? I mean if I can recognize things which need to be changed why doesn't God directly change them? Why do I have the same weaknesses and nothing improves?

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 119:9-11 and 16....... "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word. I seek you with all of my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You.........I delight in Your decrees; I will not neglect Your word."

It works like this. Read the word. Meditate on it. Memorize a little of it. Keep yourself focused on it a little each day.

I would encourage you to read all of Psalm 119, even though it is quite lengthy.

It's all about how David was consumed with God's Word and even though he admitted that he suffered and that his enemies were constantly around him, he confessed that the word of God was truth, he praised God over and over, and he sought God's protection and promises based on the word of God.

It one of the best passages in the bible about the importance of reading and studying the bible.

Allow God to improve you in His own time and His own pace and His own way. Focus on God and focus on the word and don't focus so much on trying to force yourself to change or forcing/expecting God to change you instantly.

I know.....that's easier said than done.

#13 Scarlett O., Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

"Behind the explosion of multiplied translations there is the sinister plot of the devil to undermine the belief that the bible is the word of God."(Dr. Alan Cairns)

Simply believe . . .

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What does heart mean? The brain? Does David mean that he memorized bible verses and then thought about them all day long? Is it that? But where's the sense of this? Let's say you don't understand a verse and then you think about it all day long then what's going to happen? Will you all of a sudden get a revelation from God?

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds like you are going to drive yourself to insanity . . .

. . . Or, an anurism . . . then you can ask God . . .

I expect, He will laugh, or say: "My son could you just believe ONCE?"

Heart - means what we call soul . . .

17. I Am Blessed 24

xdisciplex It sounds like you're trying to work out your salvation. You're trying too hard to get everything right - RIGHT NOW. Just simply let go and let God.

Some people get saved and God deems to remove certain sins from their lives immediately. The rest of us just have to stay in the Word and wait on God.

When tempted - read Romans.

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Heb 4 the Bible says that the Word of God is "living and active and sharper than a two-edged sword".

In 2Peter 1:21 the Bible says that the Holy Spirit is the author of scripture.

In John 16 we are told that the Holy Spirit is the "spirit of truth" sent to lead us and guide us "into all truth".

That means that when you prayerfully read the Bible - authored BY the Holy Spirit - then God the Holy Spirit ALSO comes to you as you read and begins transforming your nature - as Romans 2 states - circumcision of the heart by the Holy Spirit.

When in prayer and submission a Christian opens the Word of God the event is significantly supernatural - it is not simply "getting more data" as in the case of reading a normal book. As much as we do "learn" and then follow on in obedience, it is also true that "we are being transformed by the renewing of our mind" through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,

Bob

#18 BobRyan, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006