1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

20-20 Hindsight

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    40 years ago, I was stationed at Atlanta (GA)Army Depot for Logistics Training in anticipation of being assigned to Vietnam.

While I was there, I was attending Maranatha Baptist Church. One day one of guys in my unit mentioned he might like to attend church with me. Well, the next Sun I asked the pastor about it. I did mentioned that my friend was Black. Pastor Olecheau told me it wouldn't bother him if he came, but some of the members would have a problem with it.
    I was given the name of a good Black Baptist church for him to visit. Well, my friend summed it up in one sentence - "Salty, I thought you were a Christian" As I look back, I think of what I should have done.
    Keep in mind - this was 1971 - civil rights was a big issue - the reason I asked the pastor was that being fresh in the South, I did not want to cause any trouble. Now, I am not condoning anything - just telling you the way it actually was.
    So, what would you have done in my place. I will give you my 20-20 hindsight in about 15 or so posts - just wanted to see what others thinks first.