1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2008 MLB Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Mar 27, 2008.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It's the kiss of death - SI has picked the Tigers to win it all:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/previews/

I think they have Detroit's win total about right (90), but I think Cleveland will edge them out for the AL Central. I'm not even confident that the Tigers will get the wild card. Too many holes right now. I think the Red Sox/Yankees will once again win the AL East and the other get the wild card. I think the Mariners will win the AL West, and they are my dark horse to make the World Series and win it all.

In the NL, I like the Mets, Reds and Dodgers with either the Phillies or Braves winning the wild card. I think the Reds and Cubs will be within a few games of each other (85-90 wins), but I'll take the Reds as an upset pick. I'll pick the Mets to go down in defeat in the Series against the Mariners.

#1 Andy T., Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I can see most of this coming to pass.

I certainly wouldn't have put the Yankees and the Cubs on the top of their divisions. Someone is going to be very disappointed. I'm doubtful about the Yankees--down the stretch they couldn't perform for Torre, and I anticipate a lot of adjustments, but who knows. I'm rooting for Milwaukee in NLC. The last few years, they've had a good team in a competitive division. When they are good, the Cards and Cubs are good. When the Cubs and Cardinals stink, Milwaukee does too...:BangHead:

SI picked the Cubs, too! Just what they need on the 100th--another jinx!

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Interesting predictions. I cannot say I really disagree with them all that much.

I do not think the Reds have enough pitching to finish that high up. I am not sold on the Rockies being that good this year and I think the Diamondbacks win that division. I also would not be surprised to see Seatle sneak in and win the AL West.

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

If I may, I will take a step of faith and say, Texas Rangers win it all in 2008!

Ok so maybe that is just a bit more than a step, but it would be cool.

:praying:

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have to say that I like the predictions and would love to see a Cubs/Tigers WS. The thing is though anything can happen in baseball, especially because it is so difficult to even get into the playoffs. For this reason its near impossible to make a prediction before the season starts. Lets get to the All Star break and we will have a better idea of what might happen (though tables can turn upside down in the second half of the season too).

Should be a great year for the Tigers one way or another though. Certainly they have the firepower, and I believe decent enough pitching, to win it all.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Where's your sense of adventure, 4His? :wavey:

Bold predictions
    AL East - Boston - I know, but wait, the bold predictions are coming

AL Central - Cleveland - Other than Verlander, I'm not crazy about Detroit's pitching

AL West - Seattle - I think Bedard changed the balance of power, even before the Angels reported injuries to Escobar and Lackey.

AL Wild Card - Detroit - Offense good enough for Wild Card, ala the 2007 Yankees.

NL East - New York - Santana makes the difference.

NL Central - Chicago - I like the Cubs, even with Rich Hill being bad in spring training. I actually think they have enough offense to win even if they don't get Brian Roberts

NL West - Los Angeles - The Dodgers seem like they have the right mix of young players and veterans.

NL Wild Card - Arizona - I think the Dodgers/Snakes race goes to the last day. This division seems to be very evenly matched. I think any of the teams, except for the Giants, can win the division.

AL Playoffs
    Boston over Detroit
    Seattle over Cleveland

Seattle over Boston

NL Playoffs
    New York over Arizona
    Chicago over Los Angeles

Chicago over New York

World Series
    Chicago over Seattle
    The Cubs will end 100 years of futility. This may be a sign of the Apocalypse. ;)

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I keep forgetting that Arizona picked up Dan Haren. I could see them getting the wild card or the NL West. How is Randy Johnson doing? Webb, Haren and Johnson could be pretty lethal.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Chuck

I love the way you think - would love to see the rangers in the WS, but wonder if it will happen in my lifetime (I'm 50!)

If you want to read some good stuff on the rangers go to Kevin McCarthy's Dallas Digest and find the thread on the Newberg reports. Jamie Newberg follows the rangers closely and writes some great stuff.

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Cubs over Mariners?? Hmmm...sounds like time to start rapture practice!:laugh:

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

All right, you picking against the Tigers and knocking there pitching got me stirred up. I see no reason why the Tigers pitching should not be among the best in the AL barring injuries. They have not changed much since 2006, there is no reason that they can not put up the same numbers as that season.

Also they should get unbelievable run support. And when pitchers have that, they pitch better and can be a bit more bolder as well.

I may very well eat crow for this since just about everyone here except for Andy does not like Detroit but here is my prediction:
    2008 Detroit Tigers- your next WS champions, winners of the Central Division pennant, and a 100 win season with 1000 runs scored.

2008 AL Cy young- Justin Verlander.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Willis and Bonderman finished with an ERA above 5 last year and I'm knocking their pitching. Oookay.

Man, say anything remotely negative about Michigan teams and the Michigan faithful get all riled up. :smilewinkgrin:

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Opening day, today.

First pitch is at 3:05. Phillies should be mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs around 3:15.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree, pitching could be their downfall. I have a more sober outlook on the Tigers than 4His does, but that's just my way of not setting myself up for disappointment. I think the Tigers could win anywhere from 85 to 105 games. With bad pitching and some injuries, I still think they have enough to muster a better than .500 record. With good pitching (you never know) and few injuries, this team could be one of the greatest ever. I predict about 90 wins.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Bonderman was amazing before the all star break and Willis has been great in the past. You can not rule that out. Given the run support they will get, the less pressure they will feel should have an impact on their performance.

Michigan teams never get respect. You hardly ever see (especially in the media) they kind of negativity against NY teams or West Coast teams that you do against Michigan teams.

15. PastorSBC1303

Don't start with this. I have seen several media predictions of the Tigers in the World Series.

16. PastorSBC1303

What a debut by the Cubs new OF Kosuke Fukudome going 3 for 3 including a 3-Run HR in the 9th Inning to tie the game. Looks like the Cubs got a good one from Japan.

Its just too bad Harry Carry isn't around to try and pronounce his name :laugh:

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The rangers have a reliever with a very similar last name - last night thier announcers said they would have to be very careful not to get to excited and rush his name - I about fell out of my chair laughing - then he coughed up three runs...

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

....or try to spell it backwards :laugh:

19. PastorSBC1303

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Whats Fukudome spelled backwards????

:laugh::laugh::laugh: