1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2009 MLB Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How do you see this season shake down as the season begins tomorrow (The Braves/Phillies don't count...the season doesn't start til the Reds play, per tradition) :thumbs:

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I totally agree, Tom. Starting the season at Cincinnati was a tradition that didn't need to go away. It appears that the 2 year tradition of starting the baseball season with 2 games in Japan has ended, which is a very good thing.

Here are my predictions to win each divison and wild card.

NL East
    New York Mets
    They had everything except a decent bullpen and they fixed it.

NL Central
    Chicago Cubs
    The Cubs to roll through the Central again.

NL West
    Arizona Diamondbacks
    The Dodgers can hit, but they can't pitch. The D-backs can pitch and they'll hit enough to win the division.

NL Wild Card
    Philadelphia Philles
    Obvious and safe pick. If I didn't pick them, Debbieinphilly was going to show up and point and laugh at me. I really like Cincinnati this year, but there are too many good teams in front of them.

AL East
    Tampa Bay Rays
    The only way they won't win the division is if the Disease of More (see Riley, Pat for what this is) gets them.

Lots of analysts like the Sox, but I see too many holes that are being overlooked. Same with the Yankees. Giving AJ Burnett a ton of money wasn't their best idea and I think they overpayed for Teixeira.

AL Central
    Chicago White Sox
    The Twins can pitch, especially at home, but they didn't have a great offense before their 2nd best hitter got hurt. I think the Indians are Ok, but they don't have enough pitching or hitting. I like the Royals quite a bit, but I don't have the guts to pick them.

AL West
    Texas Rangers
    There's almost nothing I like about the Angels. Seattle's not as dreadful as they were last year. The only reason I think Oakland signed Holliday is to trade him for a king's ransom at the trade deadline.

AL Wild Card
    Boston Red Sox
    Wild card is coming out of the East, no question.

ALDS
    Tampa Bay over Texas
    Chicago over Boston

NLDS
    Chicago over Philadelphia
    New York over Arizona

ALCS
    Tampa Bay over Chicago

NLCS
    Chicago over New York

World Series
    Chicago over Tampa Bay

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

NL Central
    Cubs. No one will give them a serious challenge.

NL East
    Phillies. They have enough all around to eek out the Mets.

NL West
    Dodgers. They'll eek out the D-Backs the same way they did last year. ,

Wild Card
    Mets. I think the NL East could be the closest division in baseball.

AL Central
    White Sox by default. If the Twins got healthy, maybe. But right now, that "if" looms large.

AL East
    Red Sox. This was an injured team one win away from a trip to the series.

AL West
    Angels. Again, it's by default. Someone has to win it. I don't think they'll clinch the division by Independence Day like they did last year. :tongue3:

Wildcard
    My limb pick of the year - Yankees. Sabathia will push them slightly past the Rays and Twins in the wildcard hunt

NLDS
    Mets over Cubs (I hate the MLB Playoff seeding rules - this is your NLCS)
    Phillies over Dodgers

NLCS
    Mets over Phillies

ALDS
    Red Sox over White Sox
    Yankees over Angels

ALCS
    Red Sox over Yankees

WS
    Mets over Red Sox in 6. The Mets are just due.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

*scratches head in puzzlement*

The Mets haven't won a World Series in 23 years. The Cubs haven't won a World Series in 101 years. And the Mets are due? :confused: :smilewinkgrin:

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The only prediction I am sure of is the Tigers will finish dead last. Everything else is up for grabs.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Going to be another long season, Andy. After all the talk in ST about how Verlander was going to be better, he didn't make it out of the 4th today.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Mets have had some close calls lately with the playoffs and they've been to a series since the Cubbies. I'm not saying they're sentimentally due as the Cubbies are. I'm saying the Mets have had the best team among three or so in baseball and coughed up a hairball the last two seasons. Sooner or later, they're due to get one. That was my point.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: That is correct.

I won't go so far as to say we'll do it again, but this time we've got the incentive to do it again for Harry. Hey, if the Yankees can repeat, why not the Phillies?

But if somebody else has to take it all, then what better a story than the Cubs?

9. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Andy T.,

I don't think so.

Tigers would be fine this season. Tigers have to focus on pitchers is the top priority for them. If pitchings are great, then Tigers would have a great year with excellent hitters. I predict Tigers would finish 82-80 record and make wild card playoff.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I have serious doubts about the Tigers winning 82, but, even if they do, 82 wins isn't going to get them the wild card spot. The Rays, Yankees and Red Sox will all win more than 82.

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sports Illustrated picked the Mets, so you're in good company.

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I shall predict that the Reds, Pirates, nor any other small market team will not win the Series.