1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2012 Daytona 500-Predictions/thoughts

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bobby Hamilton, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Got the invite, thanks.

I kinda felt bad for Patrick today. She ran a clean race and took a HARD hit that wasn't her fault.

2. Bobby Hamilton

Looks like 7 PM EST tonight.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, I can watch it tonight.. instead of sneaking on to NASCAR.com for updates at work!

With all the rain the old rubber from the previous races will be washed off. It might lead to even more excitement.

I am glad there won't be as much tandem racing. The pack racing will probably lead to more wrecks, but I like the competition it brings.

4. Bobby Hamilton

I'm hoping the fresh track will lead to a bit more cautious driving to start. Maybe we'll see it break up some and then we'll have more cars left running that final 25 miles or so.

5. Bobby Hamilton

Question of the Day: If someone like Harvick, Gordon, Earnhardt Jr (or probably any other of about 15 names) had been sitting in first when Montoya took out the jet dryer...does NASCAR call the race?

I really felt bad for Blaney. I realize it wasn't strategy like staying out knowing rain was coming, but sometimes I feel like losses should be cut.

And then seeing that awful finish and Biffle ride like a good little ordered soldier...eh. Not happy I stayed up until 1 o'clock to see that ending.

NASCAR wanted to give the fans what it wanted? That's not what this fan wanted.

6. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thot about this with the 1st lap crash that put JJ and others out... Of course, on the other hand, it made for a great night of not hearing about Kurt Busch. :tonofbricks:

7. Bobby Hamilton

Yeah. I was way off here.

I'm also not wondering if the small changes they made to keep the cars from overheating didn't impact the "running" of the cars. We did not see the racing from the Shootout or the Duels (it seemed) for the most part in the 500.

I thought last nights race was really boring. And I still can't believe Biffle didn't even try.

8. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave up at the 1:45 mark of the red flag. Glad I went to bed.

I think your question is a good one about a big name leading, would they have called the race. I don't think they would have, they wanted a more exciting ending.

Someone tweeted the joke. How many drivers does it take to red flag a NASCAR race? Answer: JUAN!

9. Bobby Hamilton

HAHAH!

Also, they did this to Sadler a few years ago. He's leading, it rains. It sprinkles, they go green, 1 lap, Kenseth in lead, rain, race called.

NASCAR, for whatever reason, doesn't think it's good to have a no name win. That blows my mind.

Now, I don't think that's the true intentions, and yes, they should've finished last night. But I would've loved to see Dave Blaney win.

10. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well at least it nearly got delayed again. But thank goodness that it didn't. Still a lot of more racing to go! Way a lot for racing fans!

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I, for one, am thankful that god-awful race is over with. From the 30+ hour delay, to the lap 2 wreck, to J.P.M ramming the jet dryer, causing a 2 hour + red flag, till the "bumper cars" of the last 15 laps or so. Of course, if # 29 would have won, then it would have been one of the greatest 500's of all time :D.

In all serious, this one was stuck in "dullsville", if'n you ask me. I am hoping Phoenix is WAAAAAY better than the 500 was.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Biffle didn't try and DW was on TV tipping his cap and giving kudos for it. I can't fathom the thought process that leads to giving kudos for Biffle not even trying to win the race. I thought DW was right in saying that Biffle doesn't seem to understand what it takes to win a race like that, but when the Master of the Bump Draft is behind you, has a fast car, and is beating on your bumper, that should be a bit of clue that there is a path to take that will let you win the race yourself.

Even though my driver didn't win, unless he did everything he could to try. If he hadn't, I might be looking for a new favorite driver.

13. Bobby Hamilton

Biffle swears up and down that he and Junior couldn't get a run. Looks to me like Junior had plenty of a run. If Biffle had pulled out going into 3 they would've had a whale of a run coming down the hill. Kenseth would've been a distant 3rd and Junior and Biffle would've been duking it out for the win.

Sometimes Waltrip (both of them) just need to not talk.

14. Bobby Hamilton

It was a boring race for sure.

15. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was dull, but still better than watching the NBA!

I have a theory that not only do we like to cheer on a favorite (Jr, JJ or gordon) but we like to cheer against the drivers we don't like (either Busch brother :tongue3: ), and it wasn't exciting because of the lack of suspense except for whether or not there was going to be another crash. Neither Biffle nor Kenseth bring much passion to the crowd...

What do you think?

16. Bobby Hamilton

I think that's a somewhat fair assessment. I have a large disdain for Robby Gordon and I don't know why. So I enjoyed seeing him finish in the back.

But I don't have many drivers I dislike. But yeah, Biffle and Kenseth are just "bleh" drivers. No much love hate with them.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

What race does Biffle think we were watching anyway? These aren't the kind of cars, and it wasn't the kind of race, where one driver had the ability to lead over half the laps like Dale Sr. did so many times at Daytona. (Yes, that was a gratuitous reminder of how awesome Dale Sr.) If an average car and an above average car could pass Biffle with ease to win the halfway money, why couldn't 2 above average cars pass another above average car with similar ease?

Dale Jr. had a car capable of winning, and he had a plan for not only passing Kenseth, but Biffle too. Biffle was happy running 2nd, plain and simple.

Amen, brother. Silence is golden and I wish DW would invest it in some times.

I've not been a Kyle Busch fan over the last few years, but I don't really know why, because he has a driving style that I like. I'm convinced that my dislike of Busch has been due, in part, to DW's fawning over him the last few years. The unabashed glee that DW has when Kyle Busch does anything turns my stomach. It's funny how my dislike of Kyle Busch seems to vanish once the Fox portion of the race schedule is done. You'll never hear Wally Dallenbach or Dale Jarrett fawn over a driver like DW does. They're too professional for that.

And I can't mention an ESPN analyst without pointing how Captain Obvious and his trusty sidekick, Mr. Know Nothing, grate on me even more than DW does.

18. Bobby Hamilton

I remember being out at Raceway Park in Indy several years ago for the Grand National Race. Kyle Busch had just dumped on Jack Roush (he drove Roush cars in ASA) to sign with Hendrick. He was signing autographs at a table, not many people there. I looked up at him and asked "what kind of knife did you use to stick in Jack's back"...and he actually looked up and grinned. His PR guy gave me a horrible look, but at that moment I had this different respect for Kyle Busch. I've never liked Kurt (because he's a jerk) and I still don't.

I don't really have a favorite, but I do pull for Tony Stewart. He grew up not far from me, I watched him run a lot at the Rushville Fairgrounds, even saw him win his first heat race (my dad bought him a hot dog that night). I like the old guys (Jeff Burton, etc).

Waltrips problem is he's too invested in the drivers on a personal level. Not sure why, but man it's terrible.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

What, no love for my Wisconsin driver?

Funny, I know who walked out of there with the trophy and the $1.4 million... :laugh:

Racing is alive and well in Wisconsin and we have produced some decent drivers -- some of whom never got over the top with sponsorship because their DNA did not smell like NASCAR to southerners who sponsor the roundy-round -- but who were in it regardless. I've sat around the table with Dick Trickle, Alan Kulwicki, and Rich Bickle. All were from my area and my brother was a close friend of Trickle. Alan Kulwicki was my customer when I ran a Safety-Kleen sales route. Those guys made it to the show the hard way -- by driving and paying their way.

Other familiar names are: Menard, Kvapil, all 3 Sauters, Wimmer, and Bires.

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think you're missing the point.

And your point is that there are good drivers from Wisconsin? Ok, I agree.