1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2012 Presidental Candidate Selector

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jul 2, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the part of American politics I simply don't understand. I don't vote for the candidate who can "win" or "lose" but the one who represents my views and whom I believe will represent their constituency the best.

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly the same for me..

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your concern. Thus you may want to endorse the Instant Runoff Voting Plan You can still vote for your top candidate (say Ron Paul) but your # 2 choice would be, say Sara Palin.
    Under our current system, you do not need a majority to win an election. Just more votes than the other guy. Theoretically, if there were 10 candidates, You could actually win with as little as 11% of the vote? IRV would make sure that would not happen.

Thoughts - This addition is off the OP - but since I am the OP - lets take it in this direction for the time being- if you wish

Here is another article - they call it Ranked voting

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

What he said!!! :applause:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With Instant Runoff Voting, you can do both

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is how Bill Clinton (Dem) got elected in 1992. This is how Jesse Ventura (Reform Party) became governor of Minnesota in 1998. This is how Mark Dayton (Dem) became governor of Minnesota in 2010.

What typically happens is that votes for the third party candidate take away enough votes from a mainstream candidate to 'spoil' the election and allow the underdog to win.

This was a factor in George W. Bush winning the Presidential election in 2000. Ultimately, after all the recounts, Bush took Florida by 537 votes. Ralph Nader received almost 100,000 votes in Florida. Exit polls showed that more of these people would have voted for Gore than Bush, thus costing Gore the election.

7. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

He was the main opponent of Houston's money pit of a rail system (which is still a huge money pit) But suddenly a few large contributions to his war fund and he changed his mind. Lots of respect was lost for him by folks around here.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Inthelight,

Something that intrigues and befuddles me, is this highly esteemed and sought after group, the "independents" who supposedly hold the keys to each election, with the given that both sides dem and repub have approximately equal numbers of idealogues. The "curious" thing to me is how easily "swayed" this group "on the fence" can be, by seemingly daily news events.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What wins the hearts and minds of independents intrigues campaign directors and is fodder for a political scientist's study. The independents are the key to every election. I would say the overall factor that sways them is pocketbook issues. However, some are so easily convinced so as to be swayed by charisma, speech-making ability, or even physical appearance.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I hate to hear that. Oh well, they're all just pieces of flesh and very coruptible. George Sr. said, "Read my lips, no new taxes", and what'd he do......? (that helped cost him the election also)

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Boy Dr. Walter, what in the world did you do to this poor fellow? Anyway, I've always appreciated your contending for the faith in the non-baptist section. I may not always fully agree but your scholarship and knowledge of God's word is impressive.

12. Borneol

Borneol New Member