Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ps104_33, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

I must be one of the only ones who has never seen the show "24". By the time all the hype reached a cresendo I already missed the first couple of seasons so I never bothered to jump in in the middle of the story. It is the favorite show of Rush Limbaugh who raves about it constantly. Is it worth my while to start renting the DVDs from the beginning or will I just be wasting valuable reading time?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O.
    Expand Collapse

Don't worry.....I've never seen it either. We can form a club! :laugh:

**(By the way, to answer one of your previous threads that I missed, I have too many children's books to name a definitive favorite, but two of my top favorites from my own childhood are Green Mansions and The Travels of Babar.)

3. Daisy

Daisy
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Try the library first. Check it out, then decide.

It's all a matter of taste.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Never heard of the show. If it is favorite of Rush, glad I dont watch it.

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

You must live in a cave.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Really, I dont consider knowing the latest Hollywood rage living in a cave. I have family, job, church work etc to keep my quite occupied. What little TV I watch would be the History channel, TLC, Discovery, and maybe TV land. It is good to know you are up on the latest entertainment trends.

7. poncho

poncho
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

"24" is an alternate version of President Bush's America, a place besieged by imminent attacks but ultimately saved by the existence of a crack homeland security operative like Bauer who is unencumbered by rules or regulations.

Basically, "24" imagines an America so anxious about the next terrorist attack that ordinary citizens don't have to be manipulated by disingenuous color alerts or presidential warnings of doom and gloom. It's in their faces, all the time.

<snip>

Some speculate one reason "24" is such a favorite of the Bush crowd is that Bauer is presented as a guy with no qualms about torturing his prisoners in order to get information as quickly as possible. In light of criticism the Bush administration gets for its torture policies, it doesn't take a think-tank expert to see why some hail the show as a breath of clean air.

SOURCE

New World Order propaganda in other words.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

You wouldnt know you did much Christian work with that kind on mean-spirited attitude. Just because you can sit their and brag that you never saw a particular TV show doent make you spiritual. I think you are lying. Maybe I am just not as sophisticated as you are. I dont get all 1000 channels like you do so I cant watch all that sophisticated television.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

I like 24.
    It's pure entertainment.
    Somebody like Jack Bauer could only exist in the imagination of Hollywood.
    Real life ?
    Well, in one way Jack Bauer reminds me of the kids and the men and women we have in Iraq.
    They go out everyday not knowing if the next IED has their tag on it, or if the bullets have it.
    They have a job to do, they do it.
    Jack Bauer has a job to do, he does it, if he has to pull your fingernails out, he'll do it to get the job done.
    If he has to be sacrificed, he'll gladly go.
    The last season had him being handed over by the US government to the Chinese government with the possibility of never seeing freedom and US soil again, for the nation's security and continued stable relations with China.
    This season's episode had him being delivered back by China to the US because that was what was being demanded by terrorists armed with nuclear bombs inside America and who have detonated one or two of those bombs inside LA, just for display.
    Good story plots.
    I'd say 20% possible to happen in real life scenarios within the intelligence community, and in today's current historical context, the rest pure Hollywood crap.

10. Daisy

Daisy
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Ugh, Jack Bauer is on that show? I had just been reading about him.

Sounds like Jack Bauer was the kind of boy who used to make pupppies and kittens squeal before vivisecting them. Sadism as entertainment :eek:

[disclaimer: I've only watched bits & pieces of the show - not my cup of tea]

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

24 is a TV show it is not real life. Want to know what really happens when "we" torture people in real life? Especially those who have DONE NOTHING WRONG? Just look at aprtheid in South Africa. Don't like reading all that much watch the movie Catch a Fire, a true story based on the life of Patrick Chamusso. Don't think there are not others like it. As for watching 24, never have. As Daisy said, not my cup of tea.

[snip]

Patrick was arrested as a suspect in June 1980. Though he was completely innocent, the police suspected him of having helped the ANC gain access to the plant. South African police at that time had the power to hold people suspected of political crimes indefinitely, without access to a lawyer or family. Patrick’s torture was so harsh that when he was released, he was a changed man. After having avoided political involvement for all of his life, he now decided that he had suffered needless trauma for a reason, and so he had to do something.

http://www.emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=3323

12. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

There she goes again. Managed to turn a conversation about a TV show into a black/white issue.

#12 Ps104_33, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  13. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

No, I was specifically talking about torture and terrorism. Chamusso was TORTURED even though he did nothing wrong, after which he was a changed man an ultimately joined forces with the ANC, which was considered a TERRORIST organization.

Learn to read, and stop trying to read in between the lines, PS. It is very unbecoming. :rolleyes:

14. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

Just in case it still isn't clear. I was pointing out that 24 is just a TV show, but it in some ways it glorifies Bauer's actions, in real life it ain't all fun and games where the "good" always overcomes the "evil". No pun intended it isn't always so black and white.

(No PS, I don't mean people or races)

15. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Sounds to me like the mean spirit is with you. First of all, you know nothing of my ministries, second you have nothing to base on calling me a liar. As far as I am concerned, anyone who would start a thread of this nature is so wrapped up in the world, he has no idea what spiritual qualities are, and certainly do not live up to the ideals of your avatar. Actually, we only get about 50 channels on our cable, but thanks for asking.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

You got problems.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

For production quality, story-line and excitement, there is no better program on television than 24. However, this one does its programming very effectively. It programs the viewer to believe many heinous things, primary of which, is the necessity and moral justification of torturing people. Then in the real world, when the bad guys get caught torturing people, there is little outrage.

There is nothing in this program that benefits the kingdom of God and nothing that edifies saints.

"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." - 1 Corinthians 15:33

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer
    Expand Collapse

Rufus that was exactly my point. The issue is always very cut and dried in the show. The good does what is necessary to overcome the evil. In the real world torture does not work that way. In some cases it traumatizes the person and his/her family, in other cases, like Chamusso's, it actually creates a "terrorist". Then in other cases torture may generate, what is deemed, needed information, but I would hardly call it reliable. People will say just about anything in order for their suffering to end, it's human nature. Besides the issues themselves are not always black and white. Again, using apartheid as an example, the ANC was considered "terrorist", but the South African police/government were not all that "innocent".

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Defense bigs ask '24'

Here's some recent news about '24' to consider...

Defense bigs ask '24' to cool it on torture

20. poncho

poncho
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

"The kids see it, and say, 'If torture is wrong, what about '24'?" Finnegan said.

#20 poncho, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007