1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Of course I know about the TV series 24. It is advertised heavily and I know several people who watch it religiously. I, on the other hand, have never watched an episode. It just doesn't appeal to me.

For real entertainment, I watch the George Bush Show. It is about a hillbilly from Texas who stumbles into the Presidency and screws up everything he touches.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Terry,
    The amazing thing about George Bush is that he is the one individual that can make a conservative like me and a liberal like you agree on something. :laugh:

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

He truly is a unique president! :laugh:

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

According to previous posts of yours, you were up on the latest in the Anna Nicole Smith fiasco, but you never heard of the show 24. Yeah right. Examine your heart.:praying:

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

If you watched any news, traffic & weather last week, you could not avoid coverage of Anna Nichole Smith. The same is not true of 24.

I had read articles about Jack Bauer and torture, but still I didn't realize it was about 24 until someone on this thread put them together. I had even watched a bit without paying sufficient attention to catch the main character's name.

Examine your own heart before condemning others.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is called watching the news daily. My heart is quite fine thank you. There is no comparison. If you want to watch silly secular shows, that is your business. Dont tell someone to examine their heart because they dont follow your TV schedule. What is it you are praying for at the end of your post, another season for 24? Tell your avatar to shave his mustache and put on some Grecian formula.

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

By way of personal testimony, I know about Anna Nicole Smith for the same reasons Daisy and Saturn cited. If you follow contemporary news, it is quite difficult to avoid coverage on her, for it is the type of coverage that saturates the media. It keeps folks distracted to what's going on in the world but ultimately it is a story without substance and is similar to rubbernecking on the freeway.

I know of "24" because I was addicted to this program for the first 3 years it was on the air. I can testify that it had a definite impact on my worldview. I would further testify that after going through a repentance experience, this is the type of stuff I weaned out of my life. I now loathe television altogether as it is 99.999% without spiritual profit. However, I particularly loathe "24" for it's heinous violence and how it is manipulating the worldviews of people that might otherwise be moral. I strongly recommend turning off television but I even more strongly recommend avoiding this show altogether. They don't call it call it a television program for nothing.

8. Pete

Pete New Member

It's weird, I like some of Keifer Sutherland's work now and then but never got around to watching 24.

Just out of interest, is there a difference between Keifer's character in 24 and the sort of roles John Wayne always played? Duke was regularly shooting the bad guys. Anyone here not like the 24 character but have a set of Duke movies? :)

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amen and thank you Rufus.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Well I haven't seen all of John Wayne's flicks but I suspect we'd be challenged to find a moment where he took the law into his own hands and shot a bad guys kneecaps, shocked them, broke their fingers one by one, or summarily executed them. Seems to me he was more of a look 'em in the eyes, law and order kind of a good guy and not the ends outweigh the means Jack Bauer type.

These were the type of values Duke flicks often taught...

"Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words." - Davy Crockett, Alamo​

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

This just in:
    Networks Criticized for Lack of Anna Nicole Smith Coverage

CNN: We Dropped the Ball

A media watchdog group today blasted the major news networks for failing to provide enough coverage of Anna Nicole Smith’s death in the 72 hours following the blonde bombshell’s passing.

The media watchdog group, which calls itself The Media Watchdog Group, took the nation’s 24-hour news networks to task for what it called “scant coverage” of the life, death and legacy of Ms. Smith.

At a press conference in Washington, Carol Foyler, a spokesperson for the group, hit hard at the all-news networks for giving the Anna Nicole Smith story “short shrift.”

“Instead of staying on the Anna Nicole Smith story nonstop, the networks would sometimes cut away to coverage of the war in Iraq for seconds at a time,” Ms. Foyler said. “For a nation struggling with its loss, this was like twisting the knife.”

At CNN headquarters in Atlanta, network president Jon Klein apologized for failing to provide seamless, wall-to-wall coverage of the Smith story, telling reporters, “We dropped the ball.”

“I was watching our coverage of Anna Nicole Smith’s death and without warning we cut away for an 8-second story on Darfur,” he said. “I can assure you that that sort of thing will never happen again – not on my watch.”

Mr. Klein added that for the foreseeable future, “at least 29 of the 30 video monitors on Wolf Blitzer’s ‘The Situation Room’ will feature Anna Nicole Smith, and the other will have that crazy astronaut chick.”

linky to Borowitz

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That is funny. :laugh:

13. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Hows that?:laugh: Actually I work night shift so I dont watch any nightime TV. Get all my news from the internet and read incessantly. Actually the avatar is William Faulkner who is my favorite author. That ought to set your pious heart on edge.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is baloney. Since I work the night shift 11 pm to 930 am most days, and there are 24 hour news channels, that comment was meaningless. Is that who your avatar is, really? And all this time I thought the limits of your entertainment were reruns of the Gong Show.

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yeah I really miss Gene, Gene the dancing machine.

[​IMG]

I dont know whats happened to good TV.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He died not too long ago. What ever happened to the unknown comic?