1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 3 Baby Bluejays

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your point. Now understand mine. I have killed many many things in my life (I wont go into it in depth) and ive watched things die...hometimes horrible death's & ive also seen terrible suffering. With that said, if I have to kill for protection & survival, I can do that. But after my salvation I just stopped needlessly killing. That's my chosen MO & consently I have what my wife characterises as a "voice for the voiceless". Aaron reads allot on this board & I'm sure he knows this. And what's more, I like the guy very much...that's why I found his commentary unbecomming of the christian he is. That's all I'm going to say...I will leave it alone.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't mean to offend. A sparrow won't fall to the ground without the Father.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Came to check on the babies and see they are doing well. Please don't forget to update as they grow. :thumbs:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worries...sorry I jumped on ya.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've learned that there are definitely different cultures when it comes to animals. Often those of us in suburbia are really far removed from true nature and will work to save every life we see. Yet those in more rural settings see life and death daily and it is sometimes a matter of choice as to what will live and what will not.

I know rabbit breeders who will look at a bunch of newborn bunnies that I think are so stinking cute - and cull the weakest. Someone like me might think it is barbaric but others will think it just makes sense.

So far Aaron who sees many birds make it - and many not make it, he just knows that sometimes death happens and he doesn't interfere with what goes on. That's quite common in the country. So feeding the birds to the cat is just common sense to a country boy - but horrific for us suburbanites. :) Neither one is wrong - it's just a different culture.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experiences would beg to differ. My Great Grandfather took care of his animals before he took care of himself. My uncles were both farmers, butchers & poltrymen and they always took care of critters.....My Uncle Patsy even saved a crow that lived on our veranda that would scream out "Pasquale" LOL...I have also trap & release foxes & racoons rather than kill them.

Lastly my wife is a farm girl from Sussex County NJ & she was like Ellie May (actually she still is). We are into both horse & dog rescue. Ive just adopted a dog (our 4th) that must of been let run that the owner never bothered to reclaim. His name now is Kip & he is a sled dog mixed breed (5 hands) with a beautiful temperament. We do have a circus here.....4 dogs (2 blind ones), 2 turtles, 20 chickens (saved from become easter egg baskets for goofie kids & their parents), Koy Fish in a pond in the back & now these little blue jays. Again, we are a voice for the voiceless.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's life. If you hadn't come along, that is exactly what would have happened. Are you going to blame the cat for doing what comes naturally?

I was thinking, this is a good example of why we should reach out to others. The addicted, the homeless, the mentally ill obviously need our help. But so do the adulterers, the liars, the gossipers we find in our own churches. They, too, are floundering just like the baby birds. It is admirable that you stepped in to help the birds.

But do we, any or all of us, do the same thing for helpless, hurting and (spiritually) dying people?

We should. But do we?

One of our biggest mistakes as "first-worlders" is judging other cultures based on our own cultural values, and this illustrates the fact these judgments occur "intraculturally" as well. We pass judgments on people because their standards don't match our own. However, their standards are nothing more than "their standards," and most cultures agree on certain standards such as bans on murder, theft, lying, etc. The question is, how do we treat our others regardless of how their culture differs in some values from our own, including the value one culture places on human life -- or animal -- versus the cultural view of another? What do we do for our neighbor, including the one half a world away?

Ever hear of the ministry of Elizabeth Elliot? That will amaze you.

#27 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

EWF- How are the grandbirdies fairing?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good..they ate a full can of alpo. 2 are really growing but the small baby is struggling a bit. And actually I now think they are robins...the Color on the wings changed from blue to robin colors. Ive struggled to find worms because of the extreme heat...but we are mahing due with the dog food...and I make a fried egg and gave them portions...they ate it.:laugh:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't...I've been around crippled & broken people all my life. How about you. What do you do to help people?

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Oh please don't turn it into who does what. The person collecting garbage, the teller at the bank, the CNA, the caregiver, the street sweeper, the mechanic, the soldier, the homemaker, the gardener, the botanist, the person who feeds the ducks at the park...they all help make the world work in its own way and each is as vital as the next.

Can we please just have a sweet thread about baby birdies?! :love2: Please?

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

#32 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I am so glad I am a CITY boy...

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With my 4 dogs, I could have made the same claim about dog on cat.... they would just delight in ripping apart a cat or two or three. Of course I wont allow that either, much to their collective disappointment.:laugh: Who knows, maybe they do that on the ranch.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. they're not cruel. Working the land just keeps things in perspective. Birds are food. Cats are not. Your compassion is a bit misplaced, as was Jonah's for a gourd.

Thot there was an update on the birdies, but no. Y'all still talking about the cat thing. Sheesh.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cats could be considered food.....just go to your local Chinese restaurant. LOL

See I have this new dog, about 5 hands high & he can run down a deer, so I figure we can practice on the cats.
    :laugh:
    Anyway, I lost one last night, it was the smallest & weakest of the 3 chicks. The other two however appear to be doing just fine. Id really prefer to get them worms but thats difficult right now due to the oppressive heat we are having in the NE....so the Alpo will have to do. Maybe tomorrow, will make them an egg, cut it up into some pieces & give it to them. If my dog gets a cat then I could give them some of that....Birdies eat cat....now there is a role reversed! :laugh:

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

REV...

You shoud be very very proud of that young man of yours.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dried bloodworms are available in the fish food sections, and they are packed with nutrients, and if the behavior of my fish was any indication, they are very tasty.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks...I was just wondering yesterday if the parents do abandon the nest when food becomes difficult to secure...maybe your right..just kinder for a cat to take them. But for some reason, the Good Lord keeps putting critters who are in need in my path. Two of these bulldogs who are blind would have been euthanised had I not taken them. Told the wife that's it...no more. About a month ago, this big dog comes up to our front porch ...I called the dog catcher and they took him...he is a beautiful dog & well behaved but supprisingly, nobody stepped up to claim him. Bottom line, we brought him home and he has been a blessing --- I walk him daily and I'm getting in better shape consequently. On one of these long walks / in 100 degree heat / Kip & I found these chicks, churping in the grass. Well only one..the rest were either dead or overcome by the heat....I revived two and been feeding them ever since.