1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don't Leave the Church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by gb93433, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

3 Common Traits of Youth Who Don't Leave the Church
    by Jon Nielson

What is it that sets apart the kids who stay in the church?

“What do we do about our kids?” The group of parents sat together in my office, wiping their eyes. I’m a high school pastor, but for once, they weren’t talking about 16-year-olds drinking and partying. Each had a story to tell about a “good Christian” child, raised in their home and in our church, who had walked away from the faith during the college years. These children had come through our church’s youth program, gone on short-term mission trips, and served in several different ministries during their teenage years. Now they didn’t want anything to do with it anymore. And, somehow, these mothers’ ideas for our church to send college students “care packages” during their freshman year to help them feel connected to the church didn’t strike me as a solution with quite enough depth.

The daunting statistics about chucchgoing youth keep rolling in. Panic ensues. What are we doing wrong in our churches? In our youth ministries?

It’s hard to sort through the various reports and find the real story. And there is no one easy solution for bringing all of those “lost” kids back into the church, other than continuing to pray for them and speaking the gospel into their lives. However, we can all look at the 20-somethings in our churches who are engaged and involved in ministry. What is it that sets apart the kids who stay in the church? Here are just a few observations I have made about such kids, with a few applications for those of us serving in youth ministry.

The rest of the story is at http://www.churchleaders.com/youth/...gn=clnewsletter&utm_content=CL+Daily+20120322

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent article! What he says is exactly what we have observed in our church. Those involved in service will stay.

#2 abcgrad94, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sending this on to our youth pastors. I fully agree with it and especially this: