1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3 Point Calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Now I understand...you make no point. got it. :) :)

Again..you do as you feel lead. Tell other what they are, and I will stick to asking them.

i rest my case.

Which is a label. Look, people try to say they do not wish to be labeled, but the fact is we all use them. Labels help us to cut out wasted repeated words so we can get to the point. In other words lets say labels were not used and I told you I want to church. You being smarter then the average bear knows that all churches are not the same. So you ask, what does your church teach? I say the Bible. Again you know that some believe one way..and some believe another. So you not knowing me well ask me to tell all what I believe and ask about each doctrine my church teaches. Six days later, It is my turn to ask you.

Using labels I can say I go to the Baptist church and right away you have a good idea what I believe. I could go on and say, I'm a Calvinist and you could know more about me, without talking much at all. We have cut alot of wasted time out and now we can get to know each other.

There is nothing wrong with calling yourself a Baptist if you believe as a Baptist. This lets others know what you believe and it does not mean you worship John the Baptist.

There is nothing wrong with calling yourself a Calvinist, if you believe as a Calvinist. This lets others know what you believe and it does not mean you worship John Calvin.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Kind of like your posts :)
    More like telling them what they are not. A 3 point calvinist is not a calvinist. Period.
    You had a case? :confused:

People can call themselves whatever they wish, it doesn't make it true...truth isn't relative.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I kinda like my post too. :)

You are making my case easy.

Yes. I made a statement about you pitting Calvinist againist Calvinist and I never said you started a thread with those very words though you may have. It was liken unto those subjects. oh yeah and another thing...."those subjects PERIOD".

Yes..like calling people a non-Calvinist, when they say they are a 3 pointer. The truth is relative to the true facts. The fact remains that some only hold to 3 or 4 points. Charles Ryrie is one. If Charles want to be a 3 pointer, that is his business. But don't feel bad. I'm a 5 point Calvinist and my mother calls me James.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It seems to me that the term Calvinist represents all five points of the famous TULIP and anything less would not fit the conventional definition. However, a person might appropriately describe their beliefs as "Calvinistic" IMO if they hold to some degree of theistic determinism.

I think it's like this:

5 points = got it right
    4 points (sans L) = somewhat confused
    3 1/2 point (sans L and perseverence but keep preservation) = slightly more confused
    Less than 3 1/2 points = completely inconsistant.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Glad someone does :)
    Normally when a statement is put in quotations...that usually means that person is credited with saying the phrase. Language cop should know this. Period. :)
    J.D. even agrees that 3 or 4 pointers are "slightly" and "somewhat confused", or "inconsistant" (notice the use of quotations).
    All 5 points stand and fall together PERIOD (is that better?)

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Trying to pit me against my friend James eh? It ain't gonna work!

But seriously, while I did say that I don't think someone can accurately call themselves a "Calvinist" unless they hold to 5 points, I don't agree with your statement that all 5 points stand or fall together. I think limited atonement can stand or fall on its own merits without affecting the other points, logically speaking. To me, the idea of universal atonement is not a misunderstanding of predestination and election, but it is a misunderstanding of the nature of the atonement itself, along with erroneous interpretations of the word "all" in reference to the atonement.

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Right. Saying that you are a Freudian Psychologist does not mean you worship Freud.

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Unconditional election/irresistible grace?

quote:
    "drfuss: I agree you are not a Calvinist. Perhaps you can explain to me how you can believe in unconditional election and not in irresistible grace. In the Calvinist model, God unconditionally decides who will be elected with the Christian having no part in the decision (He may think he decided, but he was not involved in the decision to be elected). If you don't believe in irresistible grace, then grace is resistible; and the Christian was involved in the decision to accept Christ which conflicts with unconditional election.

Is your definitions of unconditional election and irresistible grace the same as the 5 Point Calvinists?

Again, am I missing something?" quote

drfuss: I am still hoping 2 Timothy2:1-4 will enlighten me on how he can believe in unconditional election and not in irresisitible grace.