1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 3 ways not to use greek in bible study

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Seems like the thrust of the OP was, in my words, "Study the Bible, check Greek sources but DO IT RIGHT"

There is a difference between saying "Never drive" and " Drive, but use caution." I think the OP is more akin to the latter. But what do I know?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on, Jkdbuck76, the OP should have said "study the Bible, check Greek sources, but do it right. But none of that is found in the OP.

Here is part of the "root fallacy" presentation that was omitted: One of the best tools for the Bible student to have right now is William Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. This volume also contains a helpful piece called "How to Do Word Studies," which will warn you against some of the same pitfalls that I am telling you about.

#22 Van, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here is how Mr Rippon edited and altered what I said:

Note that the benefit of the doubt was completely removed, demonstrating a lack of integrity.

Next we get this mischaracterization from Mr. Rippon:
    But here is what I actually said:
    So I said bible study is attacked on many fronts, and then gave examples of those fronts, root fallacy, lack of expertize, and so forth.

Anyone who pays any attention to how Mr. Rippon presents of views of others is naive.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you know enough to get the op right.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know synonyms are a challenge for you, but here goes.

If they "abound on this forum" then there are "many" --do you understand?

"Lots of posts" = "many" --comprenez-vous?
    Anyone who pays attention to how I present [the] views of others is naive? That doesn't make any sense even with the definite article supplied. You have paid attention in some manner. Are you claiming to be naive?

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ask again. Who advocates not reading multiple scholars and to just sticking with Calvinist apologists?

If you cannot produce some quotes then you are just blowing smoke...again.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them, folks. "Seemingly abound on this forum" becomes "abound on this forum." Mr. Rippon systematically misrepresents what others say as demonstrated in post 23.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an example of a Calvinist (John Dagg) telling us to just read the translations of those "gifted" in translation.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your distinction is meaningless. Either you think that those who dissuade actual Bible study abound here -- or you think that they do not abound on the BB. You clearly believe the former --against all common sense.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I know Mr. Rippon likes to tell others what they actually meant, being a mind reader of the highest order. For example he says the idea that something could appear to be true, yet not be true is a meaningless distinction. Anyone who pays attention to how Mr. Rippon presents the views of others is naive.

Bible study is good, and is commanded. Pay no attention to those who discourage bible study, saying "why you lack the gifts needed" and so forth. And the least accurate translation, say the New World Translation is not something a person should read to the exclusion of other more accurate translations. Scholars differ and we need to consider the various interpretations so we are not sidetracked into cultist dogma.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you are being silly.
    You are being silly.

It seems you are rolling around in naivety.
    You are rolling around in naivety.
    No one here discourages Bible study.

It seems you are barking up the wrong tree.
    You are barking up the wrong tree.
    It seems that absolutely no one here advocates that premise, so why did you even go there?

Absolutely no one here advocates that premise, so why did you even go there?
    It seems that you are making a pointless point.

You are making a pointless point.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When are you people going to figure out Van is a troll and just ignore him?

As to the OP. One of the problems I see over and over again, and especially on this forum and others like it, is the use of Strong's Concordance and Strong's Numbers as some sort of an authority regarding the meaning of Greek words.

Strong's makes the error of the root fallacy over and over again. The first thing I told my students in bonehead Greek was to throw away their Strong's.

If they had to use a Strong's, buy the "Strongest Strong's" which was edited and revised by John R. Kohlenberger III and James A. Swanson. But even then, be careful. It still tends to emphasize the etymological meaning of Greek words over the philological meaning.

I suggest Young's Exhaustive Concordance. It not only gives you every English word translated from the Hebrew or Greek word in question (philological use) but also gives the different Hebrew or Greek words from which the same English word was translated.

One of the problems we face today is the result of an over use of the literal hermeneutic. Yes, we should take the bible literally in most instances, but also recognize there are times when metaphorical use is correct.

But by over emphasizing the literal hermeneutic we often under emphasize the historical hermeneutic.

The correct way to understand the bible is the use of the historical-grammatical hermeneutical method. Not what the word/words mean to a dictionary, or a concordance, or to us today, but what did the words mean to the writer of the bible passage in question? How was/were those words used at that time? What societal/cultural meaning did the words have?

One of the most often made errors today is to understand what Jesus meant when He said He gave "the keys of the kingdom of heaven" to His disciples.

It was common practice in that day for Rabbi's, upon graduation from Rabbinical school, and after being examined and ordained by the council, to be given a key to the store room in the Temple where the bible scrolls and commentaries on those scrolls were kept.

The new Rabbi would wear the key on a chain around his neck so all could see he had teaching authority granted by the council and access to the scrolls and commentaries of antiquity.

What Jesus was saying was that He was giving the disciples teaching authority regarding the kingdom, and access to the very mind and thoughts of God regarding the inscripturation of His word and their preaching and teaching ministries.

The only way this passage can be properly understood is by applying the historical-grammatical hermaneutic.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pay no attention to those who attack other posters by calling them names.

Here again we see a claim Strong's is not helpful in increasing our knowledge of God's word. But that claim is a fiction. Is Strong's perfect? Of course not.

The claim was made, Strong's makes the root fallacy over and over. Yet not one example was provided. And there is nothing wrong with Strong's numbering system or the CK numbering system, they are simply aids to discerning how a particular original language word is used throughout scripture.

In order to study, using your study bible (say the NASB) you need to use (or at least it is easiest to use) the NASB Exhaustive Concordance.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    far better to have a good english version, and apply proper skills to understanding and applying the truths in the Bible then just having a preconceived dose of certain phrases and words getting "studied!"

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "far better to have a good English version" such as the NASB, or NKJV.

"and apply proper skills to understanding and applying the truths in the Bible" and that would include using the grammatical-historical hermeneutic method of inductive bible study.

"then just having a preconceived dose of certain phrases and words getting "studied!" which of course no one advocates. However, comma, you might consider the concept of vocabulary where words and phrases have inherit and sometimes multiple, meanings.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! I would add "several good English versions." I have often told the congregation of God's people whom He has given over to my pastoral watch care that "It is not our failure to understand Hebrew and Greek that causes our misunderstandings of the scriptures, but rather our failure to understand our own native English!"

:)

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see - three ways to use bible study to improve our understanding of God's word.
    1) Use a word for word translation philosophy version such as the NASB
    2) Use an interlinear which parses the Greek grammar.
    3) Use an Exhaustive Concordance to identify all the different English words used to translate the Greek word under study, and all the places where the Greek word under study appears in scripture, especially by the same author in the same book.

Inductive Bible Study basically means you first determine (as best we can) what the author intended to say to his audience, being mindful of the culture and idioms that impact word meanings. Then you determine (as best we can) what, if any, timeless principles are being communicated to future audiences. And finally, we determine, as best we can, how to apply those timeless principles to our lives.