1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 33 Uncomfortable Questions for Progressives

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 27, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, what I am saying is people that make their living by trading derivatives, futures options, churning stock trades, etc. are non-producers that have figured out a way to make loads of money on the sweat of others. Remember the guy about ten years ago that bought oil futures at $100 a barrel just to be the first person to do it? That guy is exhibit A in my argument.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Your argument is dead on arrival. Those activities, whether the people who initiate them intend it or not, is what raises the money that becomes venture capital, investment revenue, and bank loans for your company, for my practice.

If investment and stock trading cease, if the derivatives and futures markets close, there is no money that generates the work that becomes "the sweat of others." Failing to see that is exceptionally myopic, and the equivalent of biting the hand that feeds you. Let those activities "go away" and see what it costs you to borrow money, if you can borrow it at all. See how fast your business dries up and fails because no one is generating the investment funds that drive the economy. Without investment, trading, speculation, there is no economy, plain and simple. Even in the infancy of this nation's expansion, the general stores and the feed and seed suppliers west of the Mississippi depended heavily on investment in the products produced out west by people with money back east who apparently had no part of that production. The reality was, the production was the direct result of the investment, and that hasn't changed today.

To claim that investors, traders, speculators, etc., produce "nothing" is to expose extreme naivete about how this economy works.

#22 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, we haven't seen progressives/liberals even attempt to answer the questions put to them.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they won't. To do so would force them to reveal their true hearts and agenda which has nothing to do with helping people.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    VC is not created by people that bet on derivatives. Modern financial derivatives have only been around for about 30 years. To say that these people and trades are the fuel that allows the underwriting of IPOs and is the source of bank credit is ridiculous. How did derivatives work out for Barclays Bank, Enron, AIG, Lehman's Bros., etc.?

Futures options have been around for about 40 years.

I wonder how J. P. Morgan, Merrill Lynch, etc. made their money prior to the 1970's in order to underwrite IPOs?

Notice I'm not dissing all investors or traders here, just these types. I'm well aware that they are necessary to a functioning economy.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is there a department of education, which according to conservative ideals should be local decisions?

Established in 1979, Reagan could have nipped it in the bud almost immediately, yet it continues.

Both parties are guilty of funding their pet projects, creating layers of bureaucracy and mismanagement.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are but it needs to stop. Of course I am not sure that it is true Reagan could have done that.

The establishment GOP needs to come to an end. Boehner and McCain being a prime example.

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reagan campaigned against it, as you know, but the votes were never there for him to get it done. Kemp wanted to abolish HUD, also.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To follow through, there has been plenty of opportunity, when supposed conservatives controlled house, senate and presidency yet it continues. It is the president who creates these positions, senate who confirms and funds. But that is a side issue to my larger point