1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 4 books no Christian can live without

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 27, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I was not being literal. Think of it more as a sellers phrase or lingo to get people into reading. Many publishers and stores try and get people into reading by using similar language.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it from CRI by making a donation. Have not cracked it yet.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

John, if none of these books are "self help", in one way or another, why are you buying them?

BTW, the first book you mentioned discusses language usage between a husband and wife. Aren't you single?

What about all the books you've mentioned on career advancement?

Yes, I may have mis-understood something that you've said. Please give examples of the too often times I've taken your words out of context. I'll gladly offer an apology for each instance that you can show where that happened and I've been mistaken.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

John, No reply? No examples, not even one where I took something out of context?

Ordinarily I would have let something like this pass without further comment. However, in this instance, your signature line keeps coming to mind.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mistake number #1

There are multiple editions of that book and I have the singles edition

Mistake Number #2

Just because a book is not on my desk, does not mean that I do not have it in my library, as is the case with career books.

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

What do either of these "mistakes" have to do with my failure, according to you, to understand you and take you out of context way too often?

#1 Why does a preacher need a book on "love" when he has the Bible?
    Before I read an author's work, especially when it may have a bearing on my faith, I try to find out more about him. In this case, I looked for his web site, for some statement of faith. http://www.garychapman.org/bio.htm Nothing.

Returned to Amazon and read his bio there:
    Emphasis added.

Why does a preacher need to turn to a man (as noted in the bio) rather than turning to God's word?

#2 - This has nothing to do with addressing my "mis-understanding" and taking you out of context far too often. In fact it reinforces what I've been trying to say. Remember, I asked: "What about all the books you've mentioned on career advancement?"

I see that you have started another post about career/motivational books today. My premise has been as still is this.

Why are you buying more books on SELF improvement when you say you are deeply in debt and may not be able to pay those who have trusted you to re-pay them?

As a preacher, what does the Bible say about repaying what is owed to others? Remember, you've already stated in various posts that you put yourself first in terms of work hours, being frugal, time with your friends, etc. While expressing doubt that you'll ever be able to pay for what you've already received benefit at the expense of others.

Once again, if you can show me where I've taken your words out of context, I will gladly apologize.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oldtimer I give up. It appears you are trying to cause division. Look plenty of Christians and leaders use books in addition to the Bible for better understanding. In Seminary I read DOZENS of them. I do not know why this is hard for you to understand.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I can do just fine without any of them and quite frankly I plan to.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am probably not going to be buying any self-help books. I just looked at What Color is your Parachute 2011 edition and I have all that I need there. The self-help books are motivational, but not as practical. I read many reviews of a certain book on good reads.com and this was the REPETITIVE PATTERN AND CRITICISM. The self-help books are motivational, but they are not as practical and effective as What Color is your Parachute.

A called called the Ramsey show last night with 60,000 in debts and he has not had a job in ages. He has applied to HUNDREDS of positions and has had less than 10 interviews. Ramsey told him to NOT PAY MORE than min payment on his debts, and to buy some motivational career books.

I do not know why Ramsey said that, as the motivational books are not as practical as What Color is your Parachute.

I live by a budget. My budget is 1-3 new books a month. I am allocated to buy and live on my budget. You are constantly fixating on the negative in me when you do not stop and look at the facts. I PAID OFF 2 credit Cards last week. NO my income will not take on my student loans, however it can take on the remaining 2 credit cards that I have. In time the Lord will find me a better paying job. One of them emailed me yesterday about a job paying $2 more than what I currently make.

#49 evangelist6589, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah perhaps I can as well. The LORD convicted me of this last night. I wanted to buy one that Ramsey endorsed on the show, but I had a bad taste in my spirit. Plus the books premise seems to go against what John MacArthur has been teaching, and what he has taught in the book Slave. Life is not about me being fulfilled and finding my DREAM JOB.

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Praise the Lord!

You are finally beginning to understand what I've been trying to say. As a professing Christian, our Lord comes first. Our neighbors come second. We are at the bottom of the list as to our wants and desires except in our desire to serve the Lord.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly!! I was listening to a Dan Miller podcast tonight as I was doing my billing (I listen to him for business and career ideas on how to increase my income) and he was giving someone advice that if he wanted to market his book better, he needed to not use the word Christian, and write as Dan does which is to mix Christian bible verses along with secular quotes. What hogwash!!!! What hogwash!! So in order to be accepted by the world we must not be dogmatic on Christ being the only way to salvation, so we must be pluralistic.

Dan does have good business and career tips and why I have 2 of his books and listen to his podcasts. However at times he teaches nothing but self-help and acts so much like Joel Osteen. I think Dan is in ignorance on these matters and I seek to minister to him in time. Otherwise I have found the book What Color is your Parachute to be better, because at least the author does not mix Bible verses with secular wisdom and then call it a Christian book.

John

#52 evangelist6589, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  13. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

John, it's time to move on. You have a library full of self-help books. By now, you should have a head full of self-help tips and techniques. You have the basics. Why would you continue to read/listen to more of the same from those who simply want to sell you more or promote their agenda? Your example of Dan Miller is a good case in point. Does God want you to continue to listen to anyone like that? Or to read their books?

Have you thought about it that God may have you right where He wants you right now in terms of employment? I don't believe in coincidences, luck, or happenstance. All things happen for a purpose. All things happen either through the will of God or the will of man. Perhaps, you are where you are because God is patiently waiting for you to turn from all those "experts" for advice. Perhaps God is waiting for you to turn your radio to BBN or another station proclaiming the word of God. Perhaps God is waiting for you to turn your book studies to valid commentaries on His word.

From the standpoint of this discussion, there are two scriptures in the Bible that are constant reminders to me, as I study His word. Perhaps, they will be of benefit to you, as you move forward in yours.

2 Timothy 2: (KJB)
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Proverbs 2: (KJB)
    3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
    4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
    6 For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Turn your focus away from Parachutes, self-help, motivational experts, etc. and keep it squarely on God and His will for your life. The Holy Spirit speaks in a soft quiet voice. Tune Him in as you tune out the Dan Millers of this world.

In closing, I've been where you are in terms of seeking advice from the world and being in debt too. All those "advice" books have been either given to charity or are collecting dust. It took a long time for me to realize that I was addicted to that stuff, to trying to store up all the "wisdom" of the world. Finally laid all of that aside, and wiped the dust off God's word, instead. Tuned out the Millers and turned in to the Holy Spirit. I pray that you'll do the same.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 books is not a library full of self-help. Why do you read into things and make assumptions man?

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you make assumptions because I have not been very clear.

I do not have radio but I do fill my iPhone with Podcasts. Perhaps you are right and I need to unsubscribe from Miller, or at least not put him on my iPhone. I may do the same with Ramsey as h also promotes much self-help. Just transfer them to my iPod which rarely gets listened too. On my iPhone I pack John MacArthur, Erwin Lutzer, Ken Ham, Creation Moments, Hank Hanegraaf, Charles Stanley, etc.. I also have plenty of commentaries and good Biblical books. I listen and read from them 100 times more than Ramsey or Miller. I have 1 Ramsey book and 2 Miller books. This is a TINY number compared to the many Bible books. Also your assumption that I do not read my Bible is nothing but that. I have a MacArthur SB that I read almost everyday!

Parachute is a entirely different deal as thats not a self-help book, its a career book. That book is endorsed by the Christian Career Center at my former college, and many other career centers throughout the nation refer students to that one. Its a very good book and definitely helped me when I was out of a job land interviews. My problem in finding better employment is my location as the economy is not so hot here, and my skill-set. Many in the singles class make more than me, but they also have skills that I lack. Most of them had to go into debt to get their jobs, which is something I do not wish to do, but if it will bring a large return investment I may consider. My current skill-set seems to be only able to get my jobs in the 20-30K range. If I were to go into debt I would cap it under $3,000 so its not a large amount.

John

#55 evangelist6589, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  16. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

Assuming you mean books other than the Bible, I would vote...

#1.) Henry Scougal - The Life of God in the Soul of Man

#2.) Octavius Winslow - Help Heavenward

#3.) A.W. Pink - The Sovereignty of God

#4.) Martin Luther - Commentary on Romans