1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

40 days of purpose?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by All about Grace, Jun 12, 2003.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Have any other pastors on the board led your church through the 40 days of purpose campaign?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I have a pastor friend in Washington state that has done this. He said there was a group of traditionalists that were disgruntled, and he even lost some of them, but his church also gained new converts and new intensity from the membership that stayed.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC'er, can you inform the majority on the BB (who are not SBC-oriented) what on earth you're talking about?

Tanks [​IMG]

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Dr B, I don't know a whole lot about it either, but it's a part of becoming a Purpose Driven Church.

5. All about Grace

The 40 Days of Purpose Campaign has nothing to do with being SBC. As a matter of fact, it has been employed by more non-SBCers than SBs. It is a campaign focused upon the Purpose Driven Life and it is literally transforming churches. Whether one agrees with Warren wholeheartedly or not, the campaign is awesome and helps individuals within the church focus upon why they are here. We will begin our campaign this Fall. I can't wait.

Here's the link:

Purpose-Driven Campaign

Anyone who keeps up with what is going on in the modern church movement should be familiar with the 40 Days of Purpose.

But then again, my experience in the IFB world was that we were always several years behind the times. [​IMG]

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info and the link. I thought it must be SBC and that just shows you how far out of the loop I am!

My son is "tight" with Saddleback, so will query him to come over to this thread and answer.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Our church did 40 days of purpose last fall. It was fantastic!

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church went through 40 Days back in December and it was probably the best thing we've done to corporately humble ourselves before God in a long time.

We are planning on doing it again next fall along with several other churches in our area.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    <><

9. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Our SBC church did this program and I've seen little response or change.

Rick Warren's book has unsaved people or nominal Christians as its audience. Don't expect much depth here.

Brian

10. Molly

Molly New Member

I don't care for Rick Warrens' push to make churches seeker sensitive....I have concerns over his material.

Molly

11. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

My church (SBC) will be doing 40 Days of Purpose beginning in September. We will be doing it through the Sunday School (as opposed to small group study), so Students through Senior Adults will be participating.

I have mixed feelings about the "program", but I attend a rather large church and we seem to be a little "stagnant" right now. I am praying God will change hearts in my church (including mine) and we will see a resurgence of the Holy Spirit in our congregation.

SBCbyGrace...thanks for posting this! I was going to do the same thing myself to get some feedback on it!

12. computerjunkie

So we have some who think it was great and some who think it was not that great. What makes the difference, do you think?

My church starts it Sept. 7th.

CJ

13. All about Grace

In my experience interacting with some of the critics, they rarely understand the 40 Days campaign. Very few people that I have talked with that have actually been to Saddleback or to the PDC conference have returned a critic. When you actually understand the paradigm and experience the reality of how it functions, the straw men burn away.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When our pastor took us through it I was kind of skeptical. But, I think it is more in line with what I have always believed and held true, but couldn't ...... conjure up.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm hoping we'll do it at our church.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We did this early last winter and ended just around Thanksgiving. We also began F.A.I.T.H. training a few months before that and it still continues today. I could not say which inspired our church more.

Diane

17. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Diane, our church did FAITH also, and in addition to bringing people in, the personal growth experienced by those on the FAITH Teams was more than worth the effort!

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

What is FAITH, I haven't heard of that one.

19. computerjunkie

Katie, it's a method of evangelism, I believe. Our church hasn't done it, but my brother's has and it is very effective. Diane (or someone) can give you more details.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Katie, FAITH is a Sunday School Evangelism course and lifestyle started by a Baptist preacher out of Daytona. It's VERY intense study and goes against the grain of older people like myself who have always witnessed using the Roman Road. FAITH is geared around a 'key' question and is to be done word for word. http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=15178

'In your opinion, what do YOU understand it takes for a person to go to heaven?'

FAITH stands for Forgiveness, Available, Impossible, Turn, Heaven. It's probably a 24 hour class with that much again in 'on the road' training, cold calls to the unsaved, etc.

It's available through LifeWay.

VERY effective but hard for an old dog to learn a new trick! LOL

Diane