1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

4491 churches will ...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by All about Grace, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

greatday, for a Baptist you sure bring up a lot of the (ceased) Pentecostal stuff.

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

What is the reference for this? Page number, perhaps?

3. greatday

greatday New Member

Wake up and smell the roses as it's all in the bible and check out what baptists say and believe:

http://fullgospelbaptist.org/

4. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

And I asked for a direct location of where this faulty exegesis can be found, but you have not produced it.

Do you take the same attitude toward Spurgeon who is known for his frequent inadequate exegesis?

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your answer brother Taufgesinnter, but I repeat, believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is the easiest thing I know how to do.

I believe the phrase “easy-believism” is erroneous because it carries a “works” nuance with it in reference to "non-easy believism".

The more scriptural description of what I believe this erroneous phrase is trying to convey is “pretended-believism” or "make-believe faith".

Or in the old English of the KJV “feigned-faith”.

True or unfeigned faith IS easy.

2 Timothy 1
    5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

But, as you imply “unfeigned faith” results in practical righteousness and holiness.

So, I believe the root of this error is that the term “easy-believism” does not in and of itself distinguish between salvation and sanctification and could convey a wrong “works” mentality.

Pretended faith is actually the difficult faith because the pretender has to work at being a “believer”.

My opinion, of course.

HankD

7. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Yeah, I agree, it's the faith James warns against, rather than the lordship salvation the Scriptures teach.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can so many people come to Christ if the gospel is never given out?

So you spoke with one person. Do me a favor and ask that one person to name how many are living for Jesus Christ who are reproducers. My guess is that the number is the same I hear most of the time.

You mentioned about poor exegesis. I don't even always agree with myself. As I learn more I realize that sometimes what I believed is not what I really believe now.

You wrote in one of your earlier posts, “Basically, here is the point: a pastor (if he is doing his job) should be explaining the Scriptures, teaching his people why a person exists, what they need to be doing, how to overcome sin, how to witness, how to study the Bible, etc.

“PASTOR”! That is the job of every born again believer, not just the pastor.

What methodology are using that is making disciples who are reproducers? I would be interested in knowing what you do.

James 1:22 says, “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.” If a man is not a doer he is deluded.

Several years ago I was involved in a church replant. It was my first church. The man who was overseeing the work for the convention would visit me about once a month and give me advice. At one time I was having some troubles getting past a certain point. So I gave the man a real situation and asked for his advice. He told me he didn’t know what to do because he had never planted a church. So I asked someone else who had planted two churches. He gave me some answers.

A few years ago I moved and talked with the DOM there. After listening for awhile I asked him where he had pastored. He told me that he had never pastored a church. He had all kinds of ideas fo me to use and no experience in using and perfecting them.

Sometimes the people who have the most concerns are people who sit in judgment with no successful experience.

Gunther I will ask you the same question I asked a young man several years ago that was complaining about how his church did so many things wrong. Who's living for Jesus Christ because of your life? That is the question.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Lordship" salvation (so-called) guarantees nothing.

Matthew 7
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These who claimed Him as Lord had “works” which were both “many” and “wonderful” in their own eyes, but iniquity in His eyes.

John 6
    28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

If faith without works is dead what then are works without faith?

HankD

10. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

You agreed with me while seeming to disagree with me. Lordship salvation means that Jesus is Lord, not that He is only claimed as Lord. The example you cited supports biblical, i.e., lordship, salvation. Jesus was making the point that He is not Savior for anyone unless He is also their Lord. Salvation cannot be truthfully claimed by the wilfully disobedient.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are these servants of Jesus Christ saved?

KJV Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Were the Corinthians saved who "slept" because they would not judge themselves?

He is not pleased with our sin and if we don't repent it may end in severe chastisement and even physical death as in the local Church at Corinth.

IMO, There is no such thing as "Lordship salvation" as generally defined since no one can tell me that they have TOTALLY surrendered to Jesus Christ. And such is much of the talk and preaching I have heard about Lordship salvation and seems to me to be a gospel of works in disguise.

I had some foolish thoughts about total surrender 40 years ago when I was first saved while serving in the military, but after several shipwrecks of faith I understood just what the lesson was in all my failure and misery.

I believed/believe in Him with all my heart, mind and soul but my greatest sin was that I thought I could "surrender" all.

Psalm 119
    5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
    6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.

Is He still our Lord when we look and lust?
    (" Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD").

When we are unkind to our spouse?
    ("And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you").

When we break the speed limit?
    ("for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil").

When we give with a wrong atitude?
    ("Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver").

When we pass by an opportunity to witness?
    ("and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear").

When we don't have family/morning devotions?
    ("Pray without ceasing.").

When we spend more time on our computer or watching TV than in prayer?
    ("What, could ye not watch with me one hour?")

Etc, etc, etc...

True Lordship is all of Him and none of miserable me and may take decades of years to realize and it may still may never be learned, ("he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire").

1 John 1:9 is in the present tense.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

HankD