1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 5 Ways To Be Unsatisfied With Your Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Dec 31, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is wrong with his statement? Have you read Hebrews? Why do you sow discord and division with your every post?

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This coming from someone that loves seeker based sermons, "easy-believeism" and one whom cannot dive into deep Reformed theology for fear of being changed.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what if there are no opportunities and or the pastor only wants certain people involved? I have volunteered to teach, but the pastor chooses to hog all the opportunities and I only got to teach once. After I taught the pastor and many others said I did a great job, however I have not taught since probably due to a lack of opportunities as its a small church.

I am also willing to teach the Way of the Master evangelism, however the church does not agree with it, and they teach their own "soul winning class" which is very Arminian based of which I will not get involved. So Basically I am stuck with no or few opportunities to serve other than cleaning of which I am not gifted nor called. My area of ministry however is street evangelism.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the problem in my church. The sermons rarely if ever address sin, hell, judgment, repentance, and the sermons are usually shallow of doctrine. Sunday Schools however are detailed enough for book introductions so I am satisfied with Sunday School, just not the preaching in the church.

I am equipped to teach and have taught when I was in seminary, however I am not finding many opportunities to teach adults in the church as its a small church. Got to teach once and people liked it, however have not taught since despite the many that said they got something good out of my teachings.

It may be possible due to my Reformed views my opportunities to teach have been reduced. I do not jam my views on anyone, however I speak with CONVICTION, CONFIDENCE, AND BOLDNESS in open discussion and prayer in sunday school. Giving the influence of some KJVO and or former KJVO that are also in the class I am not finding a good fit in this church, but I am stuck here until God can persuade my wife.

#44 evangelist6589, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. preacher4truth

You're on fire today. Nailed it! :laugh: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. preacher4truth

It's shameful. There are preachers who will chase others out of a church because they feel threatened. We have one here in town who is notorious for this. Teachers, music ministers, preachers, the gifted in any capacity are shunned by his wife and treated poorly by the preacher and they end up leaving.

8. preacher4truth

So you're learning to wait on the Lord in a different way. Be patient. We will pray for both of you again.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist,
    something tells me you and the church you are attending (not a member of) would be better off if you went elsewhere - or possibly you should start a church yourself.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't fret....you will find your level....God will nt allowyou to float aimlessly. In the meantime pray, study, read, listento sermons ....and don't compromise your beliefs for anyone. You may think your in a pickle but its just a test. Keep the Faith brother and it will happen.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes indeed I need to be patient and wait on the Lord. Cant rush it. Rome was not built in a day.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The people in the church are very nice, polite, and kind. The sad news is that I have been in Reformed churches where they were not, but the peaching was on fire. It takes both good preaching/teaching, and people that live out their faith. But in the meantime I read, listen, and pray.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I will refrain from commenting EVANG, but you do not know the WHOLE story. I have been changed, I encounter change constantly, I just don't bow down at your preferred and revered "reformed" theology.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, the church ceased to feed us a while before and we were willing to stay on. If that was the only issue, we would have stayed. We're not church hoppers. In our 28 years of marriage, we've been in 2 churches and trust me, the one we're in isn't perfect either. (But I do like the pastor - he's kinda cute.) ;)

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly EV - I would have to admit that from knowing you on this board, I'd also most likely have a bit of an issue putting you in a leadership roll as well. I don't think you're quite there yet. :)

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We obviously differ here. I think that the Church is the body of Christ, and in that there are specific and biblical roles for the local church. But there is also a role in terms of mission.

What I mean by a “family” is that we are to encourage each other, to meet together, to “stir up” each other to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24-25). Christians are to love each other with brotherly affection (Romans 12:10). We are to teach and admonish each other, to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs (Colossians 3:16). We are to fellowship as a church (1 John 1:7). My “opinion” is that we, as Christian have a common and shared identity in Christ. We are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God (Ephesians 2:19-22) and part of our identity is encouraging one another and building one another up (1 Thessalonians 5:11). In short, I believe that the church as a “family” is Christians sharing life, having much more in common than merely meeting to evangelize (Acts 2:42-47).

Our mission as a church is to share the gospel of Christ. But I do not know it is appropriate to choose this as its primary function above and beyond all other roles and functions. We evangelize while and through being the Body of Christ - not apart from it. So while I agree with the implication that churches exist to evangelize, I respectfully disagree with singularity of your definition of the church. I do agree that it is “both/and” here.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan,

You made a comment, and hopefully you can shed a little light on the topic for me. I have always wondered why Christians seem drawn to preaching on “sin, hell, judgment, etc, particularly from the Reformed standpoint. It seems that the local church would benefit more from teaching that is applicable to functioning as the Body of Christ. From a Reformed standpoint, I am confident that you do not believe there is a danger of believers going to Hell. But at the same time you appear to crave such teachings from the pulpit - sin, repentance, judgment and Hell. I understand from an evangelistic standpoint, but from a pulpit sermon directed at Christians? Or, am I separating edification and evangelism too much?

18. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. And I don't believe it just applies to those who have gone to a Bible university or seminary, either.
    I was told that if you are not feeling fed at your church and you examine yourself and are able to rule out you being the problem, then it's best to find another church. I agree with that.

On the other hand churches shouldn't be left at the drop of a hat, either, and no church is perfect.

#58 evenifigoalone, Jan 1, 2014
  19. preacher4truth

Good question. I believe Paul answered this when giving instruction to Timothy, that is, that all Scripture is profitable in his ministry to the church, 2 Timothy 3:15ff which would include all the things evangelist6589 mentioned that are lacking in some ministries.

#59 preacher4truth, Jan 1, 2014
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the personal attack. I am not perfect but better me than someone whom teaches "easy-beievism" and does not teach the whole counsel of the gospel. Well pastors that do this will be judged harshly. I avoid like the plague "professional ordained evangelists" that avoid preaching on hell, sin, and judgment.

#60 evangelist6589, Jan 1, 2014