1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

500---5000----where are they?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Nov 27, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

All these "valid historical documents" that prove the life of Jesus to be truer than any other myth before His story in that region....where can I at least get the biblographies to these sources, if they do exist?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, 20:9.1:

This is generally thought by scholars to be genuine.

Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, 18:3.3.

This section, the Testimonium Flavium, is widely disputed and commonly thought to contain, at the least, later Christian interpolations. It is not found in the writings of the early church fathers who did quote Josephus on other matters.

Tacitus, Annals, 15, (writing a half-century of so after the fact):

Tacitus' observations would have come from contemporary sources, i.e, what Christians said of themselves or Romans said.

Pliny the Younger, writing to the Emperor Trajan (c. 112):

Pliny is repeating what he has been told about Christian beliefs about 80 years after the resurrection.

Suetonius, Lives of the Caesars, c. 120:

This is often taken as a reference to Christ. Many dispute the reference, claiming Chrestus (useful) was a common given name for slaves and indicated a troublesome slave disturbance.

Thallus, contemporary of Christ, through Julian Africanus (late second century, early third century) through Eusebius (third century): There is a reference to darkness and earthquakes at the crucifixion.

An interesting site is http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html. I have not read all the information, but it seems to be fairly exhaustive in its treatment of the evidence.

#2 rsr, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The list the rsr quoted is a pretty comprehensive list of the non-Christian historians who made some reference to Christ.

The Jewish historian Josephus is our most elaborate source, but since our surviving manuscripts of his work come to us through the RCC and some of the statements appear to be overly supportive of Christianity for a Jew, skeptics wonder about the authenticity of the manuscripts.

Tacitus, Pliny, Suetonius and Thallus made references to Christians and possibly Christ.

The remaining historical documents are Christian sources such as the biblical writings and other early christian writings.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

thanks for all of this guys...I can't keep up with apolgetics so I just want to send anyone who wants to argue to these sites and wait for then they want to dicuss where their life is going....