1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

52 Girls Removed From Texas Compound

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the first thing I also thought (and I saw it befor I read your post):tear:

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Did this First Baptist Church volunteer their buses to help remove the children? Or is this an intentional attemp to mislead? If it is the former then it should have been mentioned in the story. If someone sees this article and just reads the headline and sees the photo they will think that this was a Baptist church responsible for this.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Does it really make a difference whether or not the use of the busses were volunteered by the Church, or the Church was asked to use their busses to get these children removed from this environment?

"Cough! Gasp! Choke! Gag! Wheeze! Pant! Pant!"

''Pardon me, I think I must have swallowed a gnat, somehow!"

Regardless of what someone looking for some excuse might read into the photo, while ignoring the caption.

Ed

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I thought the same thing when I saw it on the television, but after I sat there a while, I don't think if I would care if I was misrepresented as long as I knew I was part of the rescue.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yo, ditto.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Based on the latest reports, let's just hope we don't wind up with another scenario that is starting to look eerily similar to one a decade and a half ago, with another West Texas "standoff".
    And that of an episode in Gyuana three decades ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23958307

Reports now say that 183 women and children, have already been removed from this 'hellhole', 'er I mean Jonestown, 'er I mean 'Temple Retreat'.

Sorry, folks. 'Freudian slips', you understand.

I really would hate to see a remake of either "Jonestown" or "The Wacko from Waco". :tear:

And I will gladly pray not to see these movies.

Ed

#7 EdSutton, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Today, MSNBC made a notation that the Baptist church was involved in caring for these girls. The number this morning is up to 200 and the one girl they were looking for still hasn't been found. :(

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

The word Baptist. ;) They should have let the government do their sting operation and shouldn't have been involved.

They still haven't found the girl that supposedly made the call.

If they don't there will be a big lawsuit.

What about separation of church and state, that everyone likes to say all the time?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

So....if you were a pastor of a Baptist church, and you found out that 55 year old men were taking 13 and 14 year-old girls as "brides," you would let them stay in that condition???

I hope to goodness I'm mis-interpreting your post and intent. Otherwise, this might be the worst thing I've ever seen on the BB.

11. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Well, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

They have no proof. They said on CNN awhile ago, they still haven't found the girl who supposedly called. We will see how this turns out.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

This isn't about separation of church and state - unless you want to say that the state is interfering with the Mormon's religious beliefs about polygamy and marriage -

It's our job as God's children to help care for those who are being victimized - and that's what this Baptist church did and is doing.

13. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

They are interfering. The government doesn't do anything to people that live together, even if it's more than one person in a swinger type of arrangement, or open marriage. Why is polygamy, but not premarital sex regulated?

It's a double standard.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Now you've got an argument there, Scribe. :) I thought perhaps you were referring to the Baptist church being involved with helping to house the girls.

On the other hand, I don't know that the gov't is stepping in only because of polygamy, but rather because it is happening with such young girls. These are girls far below the age of consent being "married off" to men who are much older then them. After all, we've heard of polygamy still happening out there and nothing like this has happened. The problem is the age of the girls - and I can see why the gov't would step in over that.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Um, 50 year-old men and 14 year-old girls?

You wouldn't allow your church to help girls like that be rescued?

Now I've heard everything.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Um, 50 year-old men and 14 year-old girls?

You wouldn't allow your church to help girls like that be rescued?

Now I've heard everything. :mad: :mad:

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Where did I say that in the quote you commented on?

They still haven't found the caller. Also, they don't have proof that the girl, that they still haven't found, was married to an older man.

Don't believe everything the mainstream media tells you.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

And yet you assume that the Baptist Church that is assisting is somehow doing something wrong.

Double standard.

And yes.....I'm going to err on the side of protecting children from predators. It concerns me to see you dismiss this in such an offhand matter. :(

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ya know, if it were adults there wouldn't have been a question. Just how long ago was it that polygamy laws were actually enfored? This isn't about how many "wives" a man can have. This is about older men in a position of authority misusing that authority to gain sexual contact with children under the age of consent.

I'm going to tell you, while I don't normally support the interference of CPS into a family's business, in this case, with the known history of this group and the testimony of what goes on inside it from those who've escaped, I fully support the investigation and believe the gov't to be in the right.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

You go girl! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.