1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

545 People: A MUST READ for all Christians!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Jul 8, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following was sent to me by another brother. It is the most interesting article I've come across in my life, and it is an mandate that should CHALLENGE each of us to get down to the business of changing the 545 people that are currently running this nation into the ground.

This isn't for, or against Obama. This isn't for, or against McCain. This isn't a pro Bush, or anti-Bush statement. It is the truth, and there may be some on this board who may not agree, still, it is the truth, and the church has the POWER to change the direction of this nation before it is to late to change where it is currently heading.

This is the most simple, most understandable and truest explanation of the woes of the nation and who caused them, as well as how to cure them. This should be sent to every person in the U.S., including the '545'. I have NEVER heard it put so well.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

'545' People that maintain a dysfunctional government! By Charlie Reese* -- :praying:

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
    Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits?
    Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?
    You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.
    You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
    You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.
    You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.
    You and I don't control monetary policy, The Federal Reserve Bank does.
    One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country. The plate is so full of problems its totally overwhelming.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress.

In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a Congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes. Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall, power,,love the lime light and perks.
    No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi, she is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted-- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility. Wake up America before its too late.

I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair or don't care.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red or don't care.

If t he Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way. Its a windfall for them. One term, and they're set for life.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,' 'inflation' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are responsible.

They and they alone, have the power.

They and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!'
    :praying:

*Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I searched and could not confirm that Charley Reese actually wrote the article. It's one of those items where various websites reference other websites but the orginal is nowhere to be found. Someone even looked in the archives of the Orlando Sentinel back to 1985 and did not find it there.

It is a good article, even if it cannot be verified that Charley Reese wrote it.:thumbs:

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Ken!

I finally got something right [semi-right]. My source for this article is an old, old friend , who is SBC and a deacon of many years. I let him know about the issue you mentioned, and he was upset. He claims that he verified the info...any ways, thanks for your comments, it is still an excellent article, and we need to really get new people in all these offices in order to restore this nation to its greatness! :thumbs:

#3 righteousdude2, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it appears to be of recent origin - referencing Representative Pelosi as Speaker of the House - it should be easy to verify but isn't. Lew Rockwell's site has a huge archive of Reese's columns(I like Charley Reese a lot, by the way) - www.lewrockwell.com/reese/reese-arch.html.

As I said, good thoughts regardless of the author.

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Why is it a must read for all Christians?

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only do I not understand why it is a "must read for every Christian", I am confused by your statement that this article gives us the cure for all our woes.

How does voting all these people out of office "cure" the woes of the country?

The article simply (more or less) states how the government operates.

peace to you:praying:

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I agree that we'd be better off if some of our representatives in Congress weren't there. But if we "throw all the bums out" who do we replace them with? The parties would come up with their nominees and then we'd vote. The only alternative is to change our form of government as was suggested. I once had a friend who believed that America would be better off with a "benevolent dictator" but that's hardly consistent with the Constitution.

This idea might seem appealing but it has no practical value. We just need to do it the old fashioned way, work for the candidate of our choice and vote. I have wondered in the past what we could do to attract better candidates into the process. I think a lot of good possibilities won't run because they don't every aspect of their entire lives made public. I wouldn't want to do that myself and I doubt that there are many on the board that would be willing to do that either. They can make more money without the scrutinize and harassment in private business. I've always felt that rather than cut their salaries as many want to do we should raise them to match what they could make in private industry. I know this is controversial but look at Hillary Clinton for example. She has a degree from Wellesley and a Law degree from Yale. What do you think she would make as an attorney in a private law firm? More than I make I'm sure.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't know this Charlie Reese. If he is a Christian, what a pity he says nothing about the things the bible says we should do for those in authority over us - pray for them and honour them! And I do wonder why this thread is on the General forum and not the Politics one, and why the article is a "must read" for all Christians. Apart from anything else, not all Christians are Americans.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that legitimate point is lost on a number of posters here David.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Seems to me that if one was to plot the population of European countries against their population one might find that a smaller population produces a higher standard of living. Why? The efficiency of having a smaller government.

Thus one practical way to improve the standard of living in the 50 states ("state" means "sovereign nation") would be to remove the federal government and revert to 50 sovereign states. The states could then sign a mutual defence pact and each state would join the North American Union with Mexico and Canada if it so desired.

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I "Said!"

I did say that there would be some on the BB that would not agree with me, and your statement made me rather prophetic.

If you would like to know how to change the negative direction that America is headed in, get your head out-of-the-sand and vote to remove the politicians as usual from office. The article is an excellent, candid look at the current political system in America, and it points the fingers of blame at the real culprits. So sorry you missed the point....:laugh:

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, the wisdom of a Lamb!

I have to agree with you on one statement, and that is that not all Christians are Americans. However, to be a Christian and not be an American is a violation of scripture where we are ordered to "pray" for those in authority over us. And if we are ordered to pray, we can not pray unless we are in truth and fact a believer.

Shalom Brother Lamb,

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer???

The By-Line "....A MUST READ for all Christians" has caught the eye of at least 192 persons in a little more than two days. That is was a sensational headline is supposed to do! Right????:wavey:

Shalom to you,

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Firstly, you have absolutely no idea whether I agree with the article or not.
    Secondly point there is no reason for you to be insulting just because I ask a simple question about what you posted.

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

So by this answer I am to assume that you purposely try and be sensational, and misleading, and don't really believe what you write, just in order to feel proud about how much attention you can draw to yourself?

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That would be great because we certainly wouldn't have gotten a consensus to invade Iraq. Also, it would finally put to rest the Neocons objective of American world supremacy. It would sharply reduce defense spending so we could spend the money on medical care, housing and food.

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And We Shall End it Here!

I refuse to say any more about my response(s) to you Steven...if you felt I insulted you, I apologize. It was not my intention to insult you, or your intellectual abilities. As for the comment on the "sensationalism" of the by-line, I will say that it had nothing to do with PRIDE! BUT, it had all to do with grabbing the attention of those that read this forum. A lot of things go unread, or, get little attention. In my heart, I felt that this article was a great explanation of what is currently wrong with America. I was hoping that "Must read" comment would draw more people to the article.

On this board/forum, I hear so many people complain about the president, and our elected officials, and I agree with them. However, I very seldom see someone write something that CLEARLY points identifies the problem, and provides a potential solution. If you think that is prideful on my behalf, so be it! I have learned one thing on this board, there are many different opinions expressed here, and like the man once said, "Opinions are like rear-ends....everybody has one!"

If you were insulted with my comments, I am sorry...but, if you think that was insulting, wait until you run into the judgmental buzz-saw [words] of some others on this BB.

As a Christian, I love this board and forum. I was blessed when a brother led me this way. However, I have found that there are some hateful hearts that reply and criticize on this board, and I have learned to just take the good with the bad.

Finally, Steven, I didn't write the article. Nor did I write the by-line. It was mailed to me like that, and I thought that since it was great at grabbing my attention, it would be great to not change it. When it was mailed to me, I couldn't help but open it, and once I read it, I wanted to pass it along. If you did not like it, or, if any others didn't like it, SORRY, but, I don't like a lot of things I read on this board. I read it, and leave it. It's not worth getting my feathers all ruffled.

I still think this article is something that "All believers need to read" and I stand by that. I don't know what you thought it would be when you, or others opened it to read, and that's not really my problem. Like I said, there would be those that would not like the thoughts in this article. But I still think this article is important for those who love and care about America....:wavey:

Have a blessed life brother :praying:

18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Big Amen

For your thoughts and input....AMEN!...how many people could we feed and provide medical care for without wars, earmarks, and greedy paybacks for political favors??? :1_grouphug:

19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I do not care who wrote it, but it contains alot of truth. The politicians in America lack integrity, character, and the willingness to do what is right. They will not use their power for the good of our country and it's citizens, because that would be the right thing to do and the right thing to do for a politician is as difficult as swimming in Jello. Sad to say there are no statesmen and politicians along the caliber of our forefathers. They accomplish nothing more than continuously campaigning for office and doing what they think will keep getting them elected. The only remedy would be for moral Christian representatives to be elected to office, but even that would be virtually impossible since the Judeo Christian faith in America is politically incorrect and offends multi-culturalism and diversity.

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like one also righteous dude said, how do we know the 545 people we vote into office in lieu of these present ones are even at least a notch better ?
    I think what David Lamb said PLUS the replacement solution will be much better, "honour them and pray for them".