1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

6,161 Protestant denominations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jarthur001, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yet everyone CLAIMS to be interpreting scripture right and to being led by the Holy Spirit, yet they often arrive at mutually contradictory interpretations on some key issues/doctrines. How does one OBJECTIVELY determine which interpretation is right and who is actually being led by the Spirit in their interpretation?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Like the Old Quaker said:

"I've been sure of only me and thee. And now I'm starting to have doubts about thee!" :tongue3: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I can only determine under the leadership of the Holy Spirit what I think is the correct interpretation of a passage of Scripture. I try to be honest with myself and follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit and the Word. I believe that people who disagree with my interpretation may be just as honestly pursuing God's truth as revealed in His Word.

Most denominations are founded on the minor differences rather than the major ones. Rather than that be an indictment, I enjoy the differences. I'm not a charismatic, but I think they have taught baptists something about worship. I'm not a calvinist but reading Calvin and Piper make me aware of the sovereignty of God. So I celebrate the differences rather than attack the people.

Now if we disagree about who Jesus is and His substitutionary death and physical resurrection, I don't celebrate those differences, I point them out and try to correct them.

A friend of mine once said, "We're all wrong about 10% of our doctrine, we just have to wait until we get to heaven for God to point out which 10% it is."

Here endeth the epistle. :laugh:

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Amen!
    God-breathed, spiritually discerned!

5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

At least you're honest.

The problem with that approach is that some differences of interpretation which one group (or interpretive viewpoint) says is only minor, another group may consider essential. It, therefore, is probably not enough for people to be content to disagree over these doctrines,with each group coming to opposite conclusions allegedly under the auspices of the Holy Spirit, regardless of sincerity.

For instance, some believe that salvation is something that can be lost or forfeited. Others believe in unconditional security. It's important to know who is right as the latter group (if wrong) may have a false assurance, slip into antinomianism, and ultimately fall from grace. Likewise, if proponents of unconditional security are correct, then the first group could be guilty of teaching some sort of false "works" gospel (in fact I've seen some leading proponents of OSAS make that exact charge). Both groups honestly believe Scriptures teach their specific viewpoint, yet not only can both not be right but there are also potential grave consequences for the one who's position is wrong.

This is just one example, but others could just as easily be offered. The point is that there should be some (more) objective way of determining which is the correct interpretation of a particular (and potentially crucial) doctrine among mutually exclusive options other than just trying to follow one's own personal interpretation, the claim of sincerity and the Holy Spirit's guidance notwithstanding.

Peace.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    k

over 6000 Christian denominations -- and much of it stems from the RC drift into Erro and then reformation after reformation going back to the "faith of the saints" as stated clearly in scripture.

As Christians through off the shackles of centuries of man-made tradition they put away the traditions of men -- and accept the light of God's Word

Notice that in Mark 7 Christ does not argue "you see it one way - I see it another way -- who knows what the Bible really means"?

Notice that he also does not say "you do not see it my way because you do not have a lineage of high-priests to use as popes".

in fact they DID have such an infallible system of lineage and STILL they fell into the trap of the "traditions of men" just like the RCC did after a few centuries

Mark 7
    6 And He said to them, ""Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: " THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS[/b], BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
    7 " BUT [b
    [/quote]

#26 BobRyan, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    See - here is the point -- if you go to that other thread, I see the SAME argument presented here as there - but I seldom see the two groups joining together to make their case.

you guys are missing a golden opportunity here since the same people who oppose the RC position here are TAKING it there!

In Christ,

Bob

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarthur001
    No subject divides like the subject of God. Families have split, nations have been divided, and wars have been fought, all in God’s name...........................

-------------------------------
    well its too bad that all cannot see that one could start with this Bible verse to be able to eliminate many Churches as being "God's Church". It would most assuredly almost instantly simplify things:

Rv:12:17: And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

That is awfully plainly put, is it not? God's Church in these last days will be identified as a Church that keep "the commandments of God".

And so to conclude also that "all the other churches" are somehow just "okay with God" well... I see a fundamental problem with that.

Satan is not angry with THEM. You know why?

And you can most certainly expect that as time goes by, Satan is going to stir up the other Churches who CLAIM to be PROTEST-ant Churches, in joining hands with the Roman Catholic Church who go by man-made tradition instead of keeping GOD'S commandments, to "make war" with God's last day Church. They just havent quite realized as of yet WHO they ought to be making war with ... but they will, just give it time.

You just ought to read what the Roman Catholic Church has to say about "PROTEST-ants" who claim to be protesting against the Catholic Church but in reality are right there in league with them in obeying the Catholic Church's commandment. The Catholic Church Leaders know what's what... They laugh at the Protestants for going along with them in their doctrine. :laugh:

not funny at all, really, but sad.

There wouldnt be all these divisions if only...

It is too bad Protestants do not perceive the trap that is being set for them. If they did they most certainly would not be sitting around saying, "Let's just all join hands with the other churches who are also following in the footsteps of Rome and sing kumbaya together".

Claudia

#28 Claudia_T, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007