1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

6 Dead After Hamas Fires on Arafat Rally

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Nov 12, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really believe the Palestinians are incapable of self governance.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071112/D8SS773G0.html
    6 Dead After Hamas Fires on Arafat Rally

Nov 12, 10:36 AM (ET)
    By IBRAHIM BARZAK

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas security forces opened fire Monday at a rally by the rival Fatah movement commemorating Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. Six people were killed in the bloodiest day of intra-Palestinian fighting since Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip in June.

Some 250,000 Fatah supporters joined Monday's rally in a major square of Gaza City, carrying pictures of Arafat, yellow Fatah flags and wearing trademark black-and-white Arab headdresses. It was the biggest outpouring of support for Fatah since Hamas' violent takeover of the territory.

The crowd scattered as masked Hamas security men ran through the city streets, firing weapons. Two hours later, hundreds of Hamas gunmen controlled the protest site and were arresting protesters as they tried to flee.

An eyewitness, identifying himself as Abu Samir, said Hamas security men appeared to fire unprovoked. "I saw brutality. I saw gunmen shoot at people. I saw them catch a boy and beat him with a stick," he said.

At least 85 people were wounded, medical officials said.

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

As long as Arafat was in power, he seemed to make every effort at fomenting hatred for Israel, and he knew he could not afford the world scrutiny that would come with statehood.
    Just my perception, for what it's worth.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Palestinians have a long way to go in that regard.