1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7 churches

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by amixedupmom, Jul 2, 2004.

1. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I've been reading various threads about the 7 churches mentioned in revalation.

Are they still going today? I had read somewhere (i'm not sure where) that they are.

[​IMG]

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

In short, no.

Revelation is interpreted differently by many people. The letters were addressed to real community churches in western Turkey. They did contain a number of generalizable points. I think the most appropriate way to read it is against the backdrop of persecution at that time - assuring the churches - and all Christians that victory is sealed.

Dr. Vern Poythress related a story of how he and some friens (when younger) were in seminary classes when they came across the janitor reading the Bible. He was reading Revelation. They thought for sure he had no idea about any of the complex symbolism as they sheepishly asked if he understood it. He unhesitatingly said, "Yea, it's simple - God's gonna win!"

3. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

: ) I like that story thank you Charles

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I do believe that the principal of the last three Churches in revelation can be seen in the Church today. Sardis was a cold hearted Church that even though was a sucessful active ministry, her people focued on self-glory and patted themselves on the back at the drop of a hat. The church of philadelphia loved souls and though it was not a mega-church (though it could have eventually become one at the growth rate) it loved people and they lived to help others. Then the Church at laodicia just met to worship. they probably focused more emphasis on the monthly business meeting than evangelism. this seems typical of the churches today. they are either hot, cold, or undecided what they want to be. They try to be hot by saying they are great christians but they are cold in the fact that their faith is without works.