1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7 deaths seen in the bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by revmwc, Jul 15, 2015.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

In another thread I mentioned the seven deaths seen in scripture. Some teach more but not many teach less so I thought I would post them here for discussion and additions.

1 Spiritual Death-all human beings are born Spiritually dead, but physically alive. The moment a baby gasp its first breath of air and becomes physically alive he is spiritually dead. 2 Corinthians 5:14b, Ephesians 2:1,5, Romans 5:12, Colossians 2:13

2 Physical Death = Separation of the body and soul, for the unbeliever,
    Luke 17:22 the rich man
    Separation of the soul and spirit from the body for believers.
    Luke 22, Philippians 1:21; 2 Corinthians 5:8

3 the Second Death=eternal separation of the unbeliever from God for all eternity. Revelation 20:11-15, 21:8

4 Positional = The believer is dead to sin and alive to Christ as the new man. Romans 6:3, 11, 13; Colosians 2:20; 3:3; 2 Timothy 2:11

5 Temporal= The believer out of fellowship i.e having not confessed sin,
    Romans 8:6, 13; James 1:15, James 2:17, Revelation 3:1

6 Operational No production in time, as a be;iever you begin to walk in sin again, Carnal and out of the will of God. James 1:22, 2:26; 4:17,

7 Se.ual= separation from the ability to procreate
    Genesis 18:11, Romans 4:19, Hebrews 11:12, Luke 1:7,18

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say we're conceived spiritually dead. Not spiritually dead at birth. But, mostly I agree.

Yes.

Not sure what you're conveying here. Death for the believer is separation of the soul from the body. Exlain further, please. Thanks.

Yes.

This is a bit if a stretch, mon ami. I think I understand your approach, but when we are saved, we die to self. Is that what you are conveying? Is this a literal death or allegorical one? We are either Spiritually alive or dead, not deads, plural.

False, mon ami, false. We are never out of fellowship with God. That is why we get chastened when we sin.

These are the earmarks of a false convert, mon ami, and not someone who has been graffed in to the Vine, monsieur.

Now this is quite the stretch, monsieur. That is allegorical and not literal death, mon ami.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Human beings are not born spiritually dead. That's a warped teaching which comes from an obliterating of the distinction between spirit and body.

Ecclesiastes 12:7
    The dust shall return to the earth as it were, and the spirit shall return to God who gave it.

Zechariah 12:1
    The Lord stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and pkaces the spirit of man within him

The spirit isn't procreated (Traducianism), only the body is. Only the body is conceived into sin.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The natural man cannot understand the tings of the Spirit for they are Spiritually discerned. When we receive Christ we become Spiritually alive, we can understand the things of the spirit. Until then we are separated (dead) from Spiritual understanding and no Spiritual life in us. That is spiritual death separation from understanding Spiritual things or having Spiritual knowledge.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Let's take just these first physical death for the believer. Which was stated as "Separation of the soul and spirit from the body for believers."
    When a believer dies his body is placed in the Grave. His Soul is in Heaven with Christ. Since we are born a fresh that is Spiritually a fresh our Spirit which is now alive goes with the soul unless you feel the Spirit dies with the body, but Jesus rose a complete being, his soul Spirit left His body and went to Paradise, so too will ours go to heaven.

Now let's look at #4 Positional death, prior to salvation we were dead in Trespasses and sin that is Spiritually dead, the body was fully alive. But verses like Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

We were identified with His death, that is now our new position we are dead to the domination of the Old Sin Nature, not dead to sin, for we all sin even as believers.

Again we see in
    (Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.)

Our position is dead to sin that is the sin natures domination.

then (Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.)
    We are alive from the dead while this is refering to being Spiritually alive and no longer Spiritually dead it is our new Position as being Spiriotually alive IN Christ.

so lets now look at #5 temporal death. When I speak of fellowship you may term it something else. But if we have sin in our lives we know God chastens us, that is a given. That is if we don't confess it immediately. But if it lingers will God hear our prayers if we have sin in our lives? Will God answer our prayers if we have sin in our lives? If not then we have no fellowship with Him until our sin is confessed. while we still have the indwelling Holy spirit in us we are not under His influence or control that is why Paul says in (Ephesians 5:18 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit) Don't allow sin that is the Old sin Nature to control your life to fill you. But be filled with the Holy Spirit.
    How are we filled or controlled by the Holy Spirit that is how do we have fellowship with the Holy Spirit by confession of sin, don't allow anything to control your life except the Holy Spirit and that is the filling of the Spirit. the Spirit never leaves us we are always indwelt and we will be chastened when we sin and God will not hear or answer our prayers unless we first confess those sins (1 John 1:9).

Next number 6 Operation al death that is separation from a spiritual walking time that is failure to produce good of intrinsic value works after salvation. This is the believer like the one in 1 Corinthians living in sin. (JAMES 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.) as believers we are to be carrying out the word of God not just hearing or reading it. We are to be witnessing and following the Holy Spirits guidance. Paul says in (1 Corinthians 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble)
    James says be a doer of the word that would be gain gold, silver and precious stones as an eternal reward. If you are a hearer only not only do you deceive yourself but you buld up wood hay and stubble and that is not operating by the Holy Spirit or not be a doer of the Word that is operational death.

The final one se.ual death the lose of the ability to procreate that is produce offspring, we see (Romans 4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb) Abraham saw his own body was dead, that is not physical death but what did he say! (Genesis 18:11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.) Sarah had lost that ability. (Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
    12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.) Sarah was past procreating that is dead from the ability to procreate and verse 12 says Abraham too was as good as dead. Luke speaks of John the Baptist parents being old and past the age of procreation, dead that separation of the ability to procreate.

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???
    Can you tell me what any of this has to do with my post?

BTW,
    I think you need to rethink what "dead" means. It doesn't mean "absence of life"
    Dead simply means "useless"

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The natural man that is, the human being as born physically and originally is not a spiritual being. He is totally depraved and useless when it comes to things of the Spirit. That is, the person is separated from the ability to know and understand Spiritual things and which is Spiritual death. Separation of the ability to understand Spiritual things. But at rebirth that is at salvation we as believers become Spiritually alive no longer useless (dead) in spiritual things, no longer separated and devoid of spiritual knowledge and ability.

8. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I misread your 'physical death for believers.' I thought you typed 'separation of soul from spirit.' That is where I was like 'huh?' Sorry about my poor reading comprehension. :sleep::tonofbricks::BangHead::laugh:

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preacher according to your first point all babies are spiritually dead at birth... But I have this burning question wasn't John The Baptist born again in his Mother Elizabeth's womb when she heard Mary was carrying Jesus? Scripture states the babe lept in her womb for joy. Also what about those that are conceived but aborted never seeing the light of day... Still borns and the list goes on and on... I strongly believe they are Gods children and their Spirit has gone back to God who gave it!... Jesus Christ shed his blood and died for them... That's what I believe!... Brother Glen

#9 tyndale1946, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  10. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

When Adam was created, he was created alive both physically and spiritually. It wasn't until he understood good and evil that he "died", bringing spiritual death to all men.

I believe the same applies to babies. They are conceived "alive", but "die" when they understand good and evil.

Maybe this is mostly semantics, but my view is that if they were born dead, then any miscarriages, abortions, etc would all be in hell. I don't believe they are.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

2 Samuel 12 makes it clear babies will be in heaven.
    Until they reach the age of accountability that is know right from wrong they are covered i.e. they will go to heaven.

Notice David said I will go to him, David would go to be with the child when he died so either David wasn't saved and went to hell or the child was covered and went to Paradise and David too being saved went to at the time Paradise or Abraham's bosom.