1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

7 Revelation Churches = 7 Time Periods?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by imported_J.R. Graves, Aug 14, 2004.

1. imported_J.R. Graves

Do you believe the seven churches of Revelation refer to seven different time periods in christian history? Why or why not?

2. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

yes I do because of the exactness of prophecy that fits each major event or era of the Church age Starting with the ages of the apostles up to the rapture of the Church. I also believe there is a parallel application of these scriptures in that the last three churches represent the types of Churches in existence today. The sucessful but spiritually cold sardis church, the may be large or small but on fire for God philidelphia Church and the average typical wishy washy say they are on fire for God but their works are dead church of Laodicea.

3. natters

natters New Member

J.R. Graves said "Do you believe the seven churches of Revelation refer to seven different time periods in christian history? Why or why not?"

I do not. Such an interpretaion turns scripture into allegory. The Church at any point in history could find application from any of the letters to the seven churchs in Rev 1-3.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only one correct interpretation of any Bible passage, but may be many applications.

Think EVERYONE would agree that the correct view here is that these are 7 letters to 7 actual churches that John knew and wrote to (under inspiration of the Spirit).

That is the literal, historical, grammatical view.

Now application (say of a message to a church then to us today) goes without saying.

The application to "seven church ages" is fanciful and allegorical, sucked out of somebody's thumb and popularized in the Scofield Reference Bible. I was taught such, but find it so inexact and arbitrary that it is not for me.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seven churches, one time period (A.D. 1st century) ;) .

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What if history would continue for another 2,000 years? Who knows what events would transpire? Someone would have to reconfigure all the time periods that the churches represent.
    DHK

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

The seven churches = seven church ages scheme is not preferred. This approach has fallen out of favor, with good reason!

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No. Seven specific churches are spoken of and described.

9. Repent_and_Believe

Repent_and_Believe New Member

I agree with "natters".

10. askM

askM New Member

I do think that it was written for the churches in that particular age. However, application can definitely be made. I believe we fit into the category of the Laodicean church.

11. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

All 7 churches existed at the same time; therefore, the letters are applicable to all of the church.

12. natters

natters New Member

Great, now there's so much agreement on this thread that most dispensationalists who believe this will not want to respond. ;)

13. Optamill

Optamill New Member

An odd thing about this view is that it originated in Historicist interpretation and was adopted by some dispensationalists (including Scofield). Dispensationalism depends on Futurism (the belief that most of Revelation concerns the end of this age) and a key doctrine of Dispensationalism is that the Rapture could happen at any moment. The imminent Rapture doctrine cannot be true if seven church ages must pass beforehand. Only the final (Laodicean) church would then live with an imminent Rapture at hand.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely, opta. As a historic dispensationalist, I find the allegorical interpretation (of 7 ages) to be oddly incongruous with true dispensationalism.

Hey, opta - where in the Rockies is home? I'm proud of where I live!! [​IMG]

15. Optamill

Optamill New Member

Dr. Bob,

I live in Colorado. I like it, but don't feel much pride since I had nothing to do with making it as beautiful as it is.

16. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, just to break the agreement party up here, I do believe that the seven churches represent seven periods of church history!!!! And I am historicist, not dispensationalist.

Dean

17. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a case of reading into Scripture after the fact. There is no Biblical basis for the churches equaling church ages. Great point, too about the second coming.

18. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I think Dr. Bob is right when he says the application could view the 7 that way. I can also see a lot of the reasons I would agree with the historicist view that it is an overview of all of the church age. I think everything in scripture is significant and the fact that there are 7 churches is indeed significant (as in the historicist argument that the number of completeness implies all of history) - I'm just not sure I can say I know for certain what that significance is ;) .

I have leaned toward the historicist position off and on. It certainly is interesting and well worth the study to dig out some great applications from Revelation that we might have missed otherwise but I think I'm back in the camp of not being certain. I think I would lean toward it being one possible view. I think my only real heartburn of the view is what it implies about the church in the reformation age - with which I would disagree.

I think all the views have something to offer in application and they're all worth study and comparison. I tend to think God intended it to be that way to make us think. So, in that respect, there is no *right* way.

A great commentary:
    _Revelation: Four Views, A Parallel Commentary_ editted by Steve Gregg

19. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I think these Churches are great comparisons to measure your Church up aginst to see where you need improvment.

Does your Church lean towards Sardis, very active in ministry but cold at heart...

or is it like Laodicea, not on fire but not as cold hearted as Sardis, people just come, worship & leave...

Or is it like Philadelphia, every proclaiming the gospel and loving one another like family!

20. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not full blown historicist yet either....I think that there are some amazing 'fits' - and other stuff which doesn't seem to fit as well. With regards to the Reformation....that is usually identified with Sardis - which had a name to live by, but was dead. Many of the Protestants were Protestant in politics only....the earl of dudley, elizabeth I, the German princes, Henry VIII. There were those in Sardis that had not defiled themselves with the world...ie the anabaptists. The Protestant were not found perfect....and Luther admitted that his people lived worse lives of sin after the Reformation than before.

Dean