1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

8th Commandment

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Justified, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Justified

Justified New Member

How far does this Commandment go, in todays world?

With the church?

With friends?

With family?

With God?

:cool:

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't see ANY limitation or restriction on "Thou Shalt Not Steal". Seems universal and absolute.

Stealing money, time, material items, hearts. Even in marriage it would tie to "defraud" and in business tie to "deceive".

Hey, I'm not lying. :eek: [​IMG]

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Is there a limit on ANY of the Ten Commandments?

I don't see where God rescinded any of them so they are just as much in force today as they were yesterday and always will be...

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with Sue and Dr Bob. There is no limitation. Stealing is stealing. Whether it's robbing a bank, cheating on your taxes, pilfering a pen or paper clip from work, arriving late and leaving early from work, etc.

Granted, we probably all do some of those things, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a sin.

5. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Yes, Sue. There is a limit. The 10 commandments have ZERO authority over the Christian.

The law is a single unit according to James and Paul. The law was fulfilled in Christ. Christ is the END of the law to all who believe.

The greatest commandment and the one like it are superior to the 10 commandments.

Why Christians still subject themselves to the schoolmaster and not Christ I will not understand.

6. Justified

Justified New Member

Well, just try robbing some one and see how the how the authorities react, and see how it affects your nighness to God, and see the judgements he posses on you! :eek:

:cool:

7. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Justified, I notice you didn't deal with the Scriptures I alluded to and quoted.

According to Paul, the law is not for the righteous, but for the wicked (see 1 Tim). Now, if you say the law is for christians, you are saying the law is for the wicked. Therefore Christians are wicked.

You also have Paul saying in Romans 7:1-6 that the believer is dead to the law and alive toward Christ. If you are dead to the law and alive toward Christ, why would you subject yourself to a dead master?

Finally, if you are loving God with all of your being, and your neighbor as yourself, would you really steal?

You see, removing the "law" from the place of authority and submitting to Christ as the authority does not introduce antinomianism (lawlessness). Now that THAT strawman has been burned... :rolleyes:

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I disagree Gunther. Jesus fulfilled the law, He did not destroy it.

We may not have to follow the ceremonial laws, but we DO have to follow the moral laws.

9. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Sue, you didn't address the Scriptures either.

Could you point out to me where the Scriptures divide the law up in three parts?

When Christ fulfilled the law, he was doing it on our behalf. Christ was born under the law, that he might redeem those who were under the law.

CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS TO ALL WHO BELIEVE.

The law is for unbelievers and the wicked.

The reason most IFBs believe we are still under the law is because their pastors don't want to actually deal with the text. It is much easier to produce guilt and fear on people than Scripture. Such we were told by Paul though... :rolleyes:

10. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Gotta agree with Gunther. If you really love the Lord with everything you are and love your neighbor as yourself, stealing wouldn't be an issue, would it? Follow those two laws and all the other laws are inconsequential.

11. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Exactly. It is nice to see someone recognize the Scripture.

12. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If you love me, keep my commandments" ...
    Our salvation does not depend on fulfilling the law, it depends on God's grace. The two Jesus quoted came f rom the OT as well. The 10 just fill them out more.

Because we love him, we keep His commandments. OT, NT, same God

Regards
    Bob

13. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that were so, why did God give it to His chosen people?
    Of course, before God works His grace in us we are all unbelivers and wicked ... After . we delight to do His will .. surely that is the commandments in loving action?

Regards
    Bob

14. Gunther

Gunther New Member

1. And what were Christ's commandments? Oh yeah, the ones I posted.

2. True.

3. True also, but Jesus said they were the greatest. That means they are superior to the 10.

4. We are not bound to obey the Old Covenant. Why is this concept so threatening to people? Read Romans 7:4.

We died to the law that we might be alive to Christ.

You want to join the two. That my friend is spiritual adultery.

15. Gunther

Gunther New Member

1. If that were so? I already pointed it out that that is what Paul told Timothy. Take it up with him.

Btw, God's chosen people, the nation of Israel, were not all saved.

2. The saved are not under the clasification of wicked anymore.

3. Deal with the passages and not pious platitudes that people parrot.

16. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

My opininon.

If you were just discovering the word of God, it applies to you.

If you are a saved person, It applies to you.

Just because it is not an issue dosen't mean it dosen't apply. It always applies. Jesus Christ did not come to Earth and die for our sins so that the Old Testament law didn't apply to us. We just live in a society where we have had these laws for so long they are part of our nature. I think you need to think about the rest of the world. There are places where people believe in Christ, and steal, kill and covet in his name. We must begin to think in terms of human kind, and not just civilized society. Not ALL christians have the luxuries we do. Do they?

17. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rest hang on the first two. If you get the first two straight you won't commit the other 8 because each of those are a sin against God and neighbor. To sin against either proves imperfect love at best and no love at all at worst.