1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

90 minutes in heaven

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

There are more "Pipers" around than I thought, and they have different names. Thanks for straightening us out Kmichael.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since heresy is that which is OPPOSED to what Scripture teaches (Piper never opposed anything), it is hardly heresy. You even stated he describes Heaven in biblical anthropomorphic language (whether it is or isn't is another thread)...so if he describes Heaven in biblical language...how can it oppose the Bible?

3. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Dwight Moody on his death bed said I see earth receding heaven opening,
    Death is sweet this is my coronation day.

His son at his side thought he was dreaming and shook him Moody said this is no dream I see the children (who had died earlier)

(From tape "Echoes of Glory" about the lives of old time preachers.)

4. kmichael

kmichael New Member

One need not explicitly oppose something to be a heretic. One simply needs to preach a false message that is contrary to an orthodox interpretation. Don Piper does just this very thing. He is preaching a special revelation he claims was given to him by a total death experience and subsequent resurrection some 90 minutes later. That my friend is heresy. That by its very nature is opposed to the truths of Scripture, not to mention exegetically unsound. It is a "heaven" carnival ride wrapped in emotionalism.

Oh, and another thread is NOT the place to discuss Pipers use of the beloved Apostle's anthropomorphic language. Piper mixes these types of characteristics with John's description of Mt. Zion--a future Holy City. Not a place where we go today when we die. "Absent from the body, present with the Lord." Which means our souls rest in the glory of God. No eyeballs to see, only a soul to bask in God's glory.

Don Piper's vision...err dream, must have been magnificent. But he was never dead. Nor was the experience real.

I have this on the authority of a closed canon...a written revelation...The Word of God.

-Kevin :tonofbricks:

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, this reminds me of a story I know which happened to a Baptist church in Quezon City, that is a city in the Philippines. Where I grew up.
    Anyway.
    This pastor started a church there, while a young man, in his early thirties, with three children, and the church grew.
    It was about a stone's throw away from where an an aunt of mine lived, and I know for a fact that it started as a small congregation.
    Anyway, the church grew over the years, and as an adult and Bible student I visited this church in one of its anniversaries.
    I saw the pastor, by then an old man in his seventies.
    His family had all gone to Australia many years back, his wife and children had become Australian citizens, and they had been petitioning for him but he didn't want to go.
    Instead, he stayed on pastoring the church until he retired a few years before this anniversary we attended.
    The church had given him his own quarters within the building (the property was already owned by the church, which they were renting when they started), and a pension, and the members, who were all young children when he started that church, would come every so often to find out what he needed.
    Then he fell very ill, and his family came home, and they had a reunion.
    The family had to stay in a hotel since they cannot be accomodated in church, and most members' homes were not big enough for them, and what relatives they had were mostly unbelievers.
    Bear in mind that this church is now made up of the children of the original members, their children's children, and many converts who lived around the area, and so these young children fondly referred to this pastor as "lolo", which means grampa in Tagalog.
    Well, the doctor who was tending to the old pastor was also a member of the church, and so were some nurses, and the doctor said "the old man does not have very long to live".
    So his children had to go home to attend to their businesses in Australia, and his wife stayed behind.
    One afternoon, some of the young people happened to pass by his room, and, as they shared to the church during the services after the old man passed, they heard their "lolo" speaking and conversing with somebody.
    Now, they knew the wife had just come from the church and gone, and everybody was under strict orders not to distub his sleep, so they peered in wondering who it was he was speaking to.
    They said they saw no one.
    When they approached the old man and asked who he was talking to, he said: "The Lord Jesus. He was here, and He told me He will come for me by noon tomorrow. Please let my wife know, so she can be here when I leave, if she wants to. Tell her to let my children know".

They told the wife. They alwasy obeyed what their "lolo" or grampa told them to do, after all, they practically grew up under his care.

The next day, at noon, he passed.

Reminded me of this Scripture:

"precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints". Psalms 116:15".

6. kmichael

kmichael New Member

I have heard a couple stories from pastors who were with dear old saints at their passing. I very much believe it must be an awesome thing to pass from this life in a peaceful and glorious way, seeing the glory of God as one passes from this life to the next, crossing the transcendence that is the gap between that which is God and that which is not.

The problem arises when the stories change to include a "return trip." ;)