1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 90 Minutes in Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 20, 2015.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Time for you to grow up and put away childish things

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea......if his watch broke a couple of decades ago. That's like telling Ozzy to put away those drugs before he does some real damage. It's far past time to put away childish things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people need to learn to take a joke.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You opened the OP so lets get back to the topic... My wife and I were on a trip one time and stopped at a restaurant to get a bite to eat... Inside they had a book display and one that caught my eye was Proof Of Heaven. This was a story about a doctor who died, went to heaven and came back and wrote a book about it... I didn't have anything else to read so I bought it... I guess I was just curious... So I started reading and about half way through it, the light dawned... This doctor had the grand tour of heaven, kind of like Jesus meets club med... Long lost loved ones met, angels, all of the description of the beauty of heaven personified for him waiting to get there. He described everything in this book in the half of the book I read... One morning I got up and started to read again and then for some reason I stopped and said now wait a minute... Lazarus died and was dead 4 days and was resurrected from the dead by the Jesus and when he came back he never said a thing about where he went or what he had seen... So I took this $15.00 book and THREW IT IN THE TRASH... I learned a valuable lesson that day, what God wants me to know about heaven until I get there, all I need to know is in my Bible... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What it all boils down to, Bro. Glen, is that we have the testimony of Scripture, of God's Word. If people can't believe that witness then they won't believe even if someone came back from the dead. We should not even be entertaining this book/movie. It is new age Christianity.

• Like Like x 3
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And we see when Jesus tells of the rich man in hell and Lazarus, the dead do not come back to tell and warn others.

• Like Like x 3
  7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first time my bride and I kissed, I thought I had gone to heaven! :)

I am not troubled by accounts of folks who die and go to heaven. What is agreeable with Scriptures is to be taken as cherished, and the rest trashed. It is the standard, the principle that should be used no matter what the believer reads, sees, and thinks.

Would we discount the witness of one who wrote they experienced the flames of hell? Perhaps, again, it depends upon the agreement with Scriptures.

I like that many of the posters have mentioned the (my words) modern day emotionalism of such books.

My prayer is that when the presentation of Scriptures is given (be it a paraphrase or a word for word statement) in such books, the Holy Spirit will use that to the Father's glory.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me neither. It's the coming back part I find troubling. ;-).

• Like Like x 2
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recall a preacher mentioning in one of his sermons how church brother he knew died and came back and the only thing he said was heaven was beautiful but the earth was ugly... Now I can believe that but the other I am straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel... I go with the word of God... Brother Glen