1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a 100-0 win...what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

How embarrassing for the winning team.

I'm glad they apologized. Wondering if it was before or after it made national news . . .

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

at least there was an apology AND acceptance.

Nice to see from Christian schools...forgiveness.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

yes - very nice.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you run up the score like this, you also run the risk of retribution, not necessarily by the team you beat.

Just wait until the winning team plays a better team...the better team might be inclined to leave their starters in a few extra minutes.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I also want to mention - as a teacher in one of those k-12 Christian Schools - that our teams don't always win, but when they get a bit ahead, the coaches start subbing in the players that otherwise would never get to play. You should see those kids when they come in and tell me, "Mrs. G! I got to play!" They are always quick to tell me it was only because there was a lead, but still . . .

6. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Although the score is a tad bit eye-popping, as long as the winning school handled itself with class and sportsmanship, I don't see anything too terribly wrong with this. They both agreed to play each other - it's just another game on the schedule. It's sports.

C.J. :cool:

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. rbell

rbell Active Member

The coach should not have pressed, kept his starters in, and intentionally run up the score.

He has a higher duty--and that is to teach class and sportsmanship.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board! :wavey:

But I have to ask, have you ever been on a sports team? As anything other than a starter?

A coach can have a tremendous influence in the players' lives. I look to my high school wrestling coach as a great influence in my life. He taught me to strive, to work hard at physical things, to never quit even when I never wrestled a single varsity match in three years. These character traits, especially that about not quitting, have helped me much in my 28 years on the mission field. And he was not even a Christian, as far as I know!

On the other hand, the coach of a supposedly Christian softball team I was on as a teen never taught me anything, never even gave me tips on fielding or hitting. After all, I was a sub. With him it was all about winning, with nothing about character.

This basketball coach at a Christian school appears to be implicitly (if not explicitly) teaching his team to have no compassion for their opponents (especially if they're Christians), to win at all costs by the highest score possible, to never let less talented kids play (keep 'em on that bench, folks, they're no good!).

None of these are Christian values, much less things that should be taught on any team, secular or Christian, professional or amateur. Even the pros look askance at running up the score. No NBA team would keep the first stringers in in a case like this and run up the score to 100-0. They would be pilloried, and rightly so! In fact, the coach would be highly criticized for not letting his 2nd string players play, since they too need playing time to polish their game, and thus strengthen the team overall.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

ACK!

Why are so many acting like the losing team was full of not-so-bright people that should be treated different than others?

The article says the school specializes in kids who have stuff like short attention spans or dyslexia.

I am NOT a sympathy case for having a form of dyslexia and neither are those girls. It really bugs me when people act like people with those types of "disabilities" should be treated different or as less intelligent, and that's what I'm gathering from a number of these posts. How in any way did that one guy make the relationship between dyslexia and being an [anonymously] handicapped person with a serious growth stunt?! Did I wander into the Twilight Zone thread or something?!

That said, I learned a bit about high school sports when I was writing the sports section for a newspaper. I don't agree with what they did, but neither was it a reason to forfeit the game.

The coach is probably not mean, he's most likely just not very experienced. I've seen even big schools have coaches who don't know much...a parent who had time to do it, or a teacher who agreed to be the coach for the extra pay. His words and the way he talks do not sound like those of someone who is knowledgeable in his field.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I give the school credit:

"On its Web site last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition," said the statement, signed by Queal and board chair Todd Doshier."

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not that they should be treated differently. No team should be humiliated 100-0. It's just basic sportsmanship.

However, the nature of Dallas Academy results in a low student base, so the basketball team has players starting that probably wouldn't even make the squad at other schools.

Given this the coach was stupid not to show some discretion. You don't have to throw the game, but once you get a solid lead, you should pull your starters and start trying to run down the clock.

16. PeterM

PeterM Member

While the girls in question do not seem to be physically challenged, the learning "differences" may also include ADD/ADHD. The point here is that the school is dedicated to creating as normal a learning expereince while dealing with issues that most schools, public or private, are ill equipped to address. That factor, along with their relatively small enrollment, limits the talent the coaching staff can put out on the court.

It seems to me that the coach from Covenant should have recognized the situation at half-time when the score was 59-0 and adjusted the strategy accordingly. Covenant is a Christian institution, which necessitates a standard of awareness and compassion, even in the context of competition. While I was not at the game, the report indicates Covenant continued to shoot 3 pointers after half-time and the crowd just cheered them on. The now unemployed coach had a unique opportunity to teach these girls something special in terms of mercy as it relates to competition and faith. This just seems to be yet another example of unhealthy sportmanship that says "any win is a good win". That thinking may be acceptable in public schools and other institutions where Jesus is not acknowledged, but I believe Christian schools should operate differently.

Now if we can just get "church league" sports to...:BangHead: .

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand why someone would apologize for winning, unless they cheated. That would be like me winning the boxing heavyweight championship by knocking out the champ & me apologizing for doing that. It doesn't make sense.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

So...you're winning 80-0 in the 3rd quarter.

You don't think you should at least put your subs in?

You don't think you should be a bit less agressive on defense, and quit pressing, and having your starters shoot 3-pointers?

Come on, folks. Why would your goal, as a coach of a Christian high school basketball team, be to humiliate the other team?

This is nothing like "apologizing for winning." This coach kept pounding a team that was being obliterated...when he had a chance to let up a bit, put in his subs, and show some class. It's not that hard to understand.

There is a higher calling than simply winning a game...especially as a coach of a Christian school.

Several years ago, when I coached high school basketball for a private school, we played an opponent that we were light years better than.

At halftime, we were up by 36 (I'm pretty sure that was the number...I could be off by one or two).

There's no way I would have left my starters in, and kept pressing and chucking three-pointers. Why humiliate the opponent? We put our subs in, told them to play good defense, but not try and "rub it in." We didn't press.

Now...my subs did try and score, and they deserved to. Some of them were young, and didn't get to play as much as the starters...so it was a chance for them to enjoy doing well. And I don't begrudge them a bit.

But the young men we played against were doing their best; they just weren't very good. IMO, it would have been classless of me to "rub their noses" in that fact. We could beat them without humiliating them. We could let everybody play without abandoning the class that I think a bunch of Christians ought to show. We could try to win, without attempting to demoralize the opponent.

Why would a Christian school desire to humiliate another team? Can't a Christian school have competition without abandoning class in the process?

I just don't understand why folks can't see the distinction.

Would I have fired the coach? That's a pretty radical step. That having been said, we'd have a teachable moment. When you're up by 70...quit trying to pile on. The young men (or ladies) you're playing against don't deserve that. As I've said...there is a higher calling than simply winning...especially for a Christian school.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

rbell - I think the firing of the coach came AFTER he sent an email to the paper saying that he didn't agree with the apology. I don't know that he left the admin much choice at that point.