1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Baptist Catechism...with commentary

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Apr 10, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

How are you a "[t]rue rebel" if you're from Wyoming? You need to stay up north, away from me.

#21 FR7 Baptist, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    T.O.M. was a filth-monger from Mississippi (thankfully NOT Wyoming) and is banned.

My thanks to C4k for quick action in the middle of our night.

Now, to the OP. I LOVED the Baptist catechism personally. But do you think that many who came from Lutheran or Catholic (Confirmation classes) would be offended by using the same methodology? Just the word "catechism" today brings up bad memories . . .

#22 Dr. Bob, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Dr. Bob, I think you have it right. It's almost a knee-jerk reaction. But I have read some so-called Baptist catechisms which express biblical truth quite concisely.

In my view, catechisms are teaching tools. There's not a dime's worth of difference between a biblically solid catechism and a booklet (or book) outlining Baptist doctrine, except for format.

Some may want to label such as indoctrination. Well, duh, of course it is. What else is a new member's class for? What is Sunday School for? What is preaching for, if not to teach doctrine and practice?

I conclude that most skepticism about catechisms is emotional.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    try it

I would like to see some who would resist a biblical catechism,or confession of faith supply a better worded answer,with scriptures that could replace those in the catechism.
    A friend of mine told me he was able to download this catechism for only five dollars....He already has it now on His computer,while he waits for the book to arrive.
    I have come across persons who say there is little value in this kind of instruction. When speaking with them I find they are more often then not ignorant of much Divine truth, have very shallow understanding on most areas of the christian life, justification,sanctification, mortification of sin,etc.
    They cannot explain their faith to others,stumble and mumble about doctrinal truths.
    For a professed believer to say.....yes I believe the bible.....and then not be able to communicate it's truth is tragic.
    In the beginning of this work , it establishes why this kind of instruction is in fact biblical.
    Spend the five dollars, [skip a happy meal,for a spiritual meal],,,then tell me what you think.:thumbs:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That will find its way into my vocabulary. Good line!!

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here I will let this commentary speak for itself:
    It is a lengthy quote but worth the read

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I have Carrol's commentary on the Bible, this quote above, is awesome.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, B.H. Carrol has some really good material. Thanks for the reminder.I lent out mine to a friend and it never returned. I might have to re-order this.

RB- definately order this commentary on the catechism, it is most excellent.:thumbsup:

9. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

I have Bedomme's exposition of the Baptist catechism, is it similar?

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does this mean....

I have to give up going to McDonald's after getting my honorary Baptist membership card? :)

Like Bob, I iked that. Give up a happy meal for a spiritual meal! Spot on from the man on the road of life!

#30 righteousdude2, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014