1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A big 3 weeks US trip in 2011

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Spear, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you're considering visiting a Universal Studios park, I suggest visiting the one in Hollywood, CA, instead of the one in Orlando, FL. The difference is that the Hollywood location is an active working studio. If you take the backlot tram tour, you are almost guaranteed to observe a production in progress.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one in Orlando is also an active working studio.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know your "driving" schedule, but if feasible, take a trip through the Appalachain Mtns of NC, Tenn etc.

While I'll admit that I'm a bit prejudiced, :)tongue3:) I think this is some of the most beautiful country in this US of A.

A good leg would be up I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley in VA.

At any rate, I sincerely hope you get to see a lot of the scenery overall and have a great, safe and enjoyable trip, and may God give you protection from start to finish - your whole trip, not just in the USA.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Doh! You're right. I was referring to the backlot tram tour.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's no comparison. The one in LA is a zillion times better.

It's like comparing the LA Disney to the Orlando Disney. (DisneyLAND to DisneyWORLD).

6. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I would instead recommend Hampton Inns rather than Motel 6. Hampton is a member of the Hilton family. Hamptons will be a bit more expensive, but normally less than $100 US. Hamptons are normally newer and cleaner, plus they are normally in better locations. And it includes a free breakfast.

Another option - slightly more expensive -- is Homewood Suites, also a Hilton member. Homewood Suites provide a little bit more room, including a small kitchen, which may be a good idea if you plan to stay in the same place for a few days. Also, Homewoods have free breakfasts as well (better than Hamptons) and have a free afternoon reception -- that can often take the place of dinner. At the end of the day, these benefits can pay for the increased cost of the hotel.

Hope this helpsl

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been to both and don't agree. Having said that it wasn't the point I was making. I simply pointed out that the one here in Florida is a working and active studio where filming goes on constantly.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The American Automobile Association [AAA] can provide tons of information. I do not now if there is a counterpart in the UK that can help you or not. But go to:

http://www.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/ZipCode.woa/wa/route?stop=yes&

and see if that site has information you can use. If a relative or friend here in the States is a member they could get books and maps for you. They can be very useful. There will be listings of locally owned motels as well as restaurants and you often can save money by staying at those facilities.
    \

9. Spear

Spear New Member

Oh, thanks Crabtownboy !

About the rooms, is it 100 $ for the room ? I always have it hard, in different countries, some ask an price per room, some per person :)

Thanks all for these good useful informations !

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Costs are per room, not per person.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Here are some cities you may want to visit ---

Start in Boston, a beautiful American city. A lot of American history is here plus loads of great restuarants. It is a very walkable city - no car needed. Stay in the city not the outskirts. The hotel costs will be higher, but will be offset by not needing a car. Plus, you really don't want to drive in Boston. As an American, I don't like driving in Boston.

From Boston, you can take the train to New York City. Loads to do here, from museums, parks, the Statue of Liberty, Broadway and so on. Again, stay in the city and take the subway and/or taxis. Plus, you can take the double decker sightseeing buses on a multiday pass to get you around. You can still find some good deals on hotels if you look really hard.

From New York City, you can take the train to Washington DC. Stay near the "mall", which is the area around the Smithsonian museums (all free), where you will spend a lot of time. From here, you are in walking distance to almost everywhere you will want to visit. Again, the hotel costs will be a bit higher to stay in this area, but this will be offset by travel expenses and additional time needed to get and forth. If you can, take a night tour of the various memorials. Also, the national zoo is free and easily accessible via the metro.

You will need to fly to get to Louisiana. I'm not sure why you want to go there, as New Orleans is still recovering from the hurricane and it is definitely not a family destination. To be honest, it's not my favorite state.

Going out west, you will have to fly to Phoenix to get to the Grand Canyon. My suggestion is that you may want to take a tour from Phoenix rather than making the drive yourself unless you are comfortable on US roads. If you do drive, leave the car at Williams, AZ and take the train from there. It is a beautiful train ride to canyon from there. I would recommend staying at the canyon at least a night or two. However, you have to make reservations very much in advance. There are many high end resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for the pre and post canyon visit. However, their prices fall signfiicantly during the summer, so you might be able to find some excellent deals if you are there at that time. Be forewarned, it gets really hot in Phoenix during the summer.

Out west, San Francisco is a beautiful city with many things to see and do. However (I mention this because you are bringing your children and I do not know their ages), I'm sure you are aware that SF has a very large and open gay population. It is close to impossible to get tickets to Alcatraz unless you go through a tour operator. Again, stay in the city - preferably near the wharf. You really do want to avoid driving in the city -- plus hotels will charge you $20-30 per day for parking.

From SF, you should make the drive down to Los Angeles via the Pacific Coast Highway. This will take some time, but it is one of the most beautiful drives in the states. Carmel, Monterrey and Santa Barbara are really beautiful areas.

In Los Angeles, you have the film/television industry - where many studios will provide tours. You will need a car in LA, as the city is very spread out and public transportation is not really available/usable. You can also visit Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc. There are other things to do there as well, but to be honest, I'm not much of an LA fan.

I hope this is helpful to you and hope you have a great trip.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With you coming from Europe, I'm not sure what you are expecting from Louisiana or the rest of the U.S. for that matter.

C'est la vie -

I was in New Orleans a little over a year ago and while there are still some wonderful places to go and see, some of it still is boarded up. But I think you would enjoy yourself immensely there or anywhere in our great state.

Here's some suggestions for New Orleans.

1. Go for a ride in a streetcar.

2. Go for a ride down the Mississippi River on the paddlewheels.

3. Go to the French Quarter and take a carriage ride

4. Visit the The National D-day Museum or the New Orleans Museum of Art.

5. Go shopping at the French Market.

6. Visit one of the United State’s top five zoos at the Audubon Zoo.

7. Go to the Café du Monde and eat a beignet. (or two) (or three)

8. See one of the United State’s top five aquariums at the Aquarium of the Americas and IMAX

9. Eat a big old praline. (pronounced praw-LEEN') It's just syrup and pecans and brown sugar.

10. Go to the French Quarter and get your portrait made.

11. Go to Crown Point and take a swamp tour.

12. Learn about alligators and even hold one at the Insta-Gator Alligator Ranch and Hatchery in Covington.

13. Go to an animal preserve and see wild animals roaming a huge area at the Global Wildlife Center.

14. See the capital and any of the antebellum homes in Baton Rouge.

15. Visit one of the most haunted places in the United States at the Myrtle Plantation. (I personally don't believe in haunted houses, but the history is fascinating).

#32 Scarlett O., Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow, Scarlett--you have made me want to visit Louisiana! It sounds wonderful!!

Spear, I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip. I live near Atlanta, so if you would like any info on the city and the attractions nearby, just let me know. There are lots of things to do and see here. Someone mentioned the Cyclorama--definately worth a visit!

14. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

We usually use Econo Lodge when we are travelling in the USA. The staff are friendly and helpful and will book ahead for you. :)

15. BM

BM New Member

Go to www.tripadvisor.com and you can find out about anything you want to about any place you want to !! the forums are great because those people have been there and know the best hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc.
    I never go on vacation with out checking with this site first and have never been disappointed at the suggestions.
    Nigara Falls is breath taking !!
    Were headed to the Florida Keys this year on vacation......

**Becky**