1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Birth Control Quiz

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Carson Weber, Oct 27, 2003.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Because I don't believe what the RCC teaches on this matter. </font>[/QUOTE]Wow, way to not answer the question.

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

No, I answered the question. You just don't see the answer because the assumptions that the RCC makes in order to arrive at its conclusions are facts in your mind, not assumptions.

3. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

No, Eladar, you did not answer the question.

The question was about contraception in relation to God, and your answer was "I don't believe the Catholic Church." Now, you can tell yourself whatever you want to, but you have completely dodged the issue by renouncing an authority. Since the authority is not the discussion, you have shown that you are unwilling to face the issue itself, but reject based on a disconnected principle.

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

This is the last thing I expected to hear from you, Pastor Larry. So is the soul a result of purely natural processes (sounds eeriely (sp?) similar to evolution)?

In Christ,
    Neal

5. Eladar

Eladar New Member

As I said, you believe assumptions are fact. As long as you see this, there is no arguing. All we can do is agree to disagree.

Show me one scripture that says contraception is immoral.

Notice I did not say to show me one scripture that could be interpreted to mean that contraception is immoral. I want the explicit statement.

After you look and see that no such statement is made, perhaps you will see that your beliefs are based on assumptions.

6. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Do you believe in the Trinity? How about which books belong in the Bible, how do you know that?

God Bless,
    Neal

7. LaRae

LaRae Guest

As I said, you believe assumptions are fact. As long as you see this, there is no arguing. All we can do is agree to disagree.

Show me one scripture that says contraception is immoral.

Notice I did not say to show me one scripture that could be interpreted to mean that contraception is immoral. I want the explicit statement.

After you look and see that no such statement is made, perhaps you will see that your beliefs are based on assumptions.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sauce for the goose.....I think the least you can do is show us one scripture that could be interperted to mean that contraception is moral. I want the explicit statement.

After you look adn see that no such statement is made, perhaps you will see that your beliefs are based on assumptions.

LaRae

8. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

You assume that God would approve of a man-made barrier to what God designed for us to use. Ever wonder why female ovulation is a once-a-month event, or that preganancies take 9-months? Couldn't God have done it another way? Sure, He's God. But He didn't. There are already natural ways to not have a child every time a couple has sexual relations. This is how God intended it. Other methods are obviously how God did not intend it. That is obvious, since they are CONTRAceptives, opposed to conception. God is never opposed to conception.

9. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

My mother was on the pill when my kid sister was conceived. You cannot prevent what GOD insists upon. Lightning rods don't always work, especially when GOD is throwing the bolt.

10. LaRae

LaRae Guest

Unfortunately many women, while taking the pill, loose their children if they conceive...it's simply how the pill is designed to work, it causes abortion. Your mother (and sister) was lucky.

LaRae

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Women in Biblical times breast fed for several years, which prevents pregnancies in SOME cases. My third child was conceived while I was breast feeding.

Just as you use Psalms 127 as the ONLY scripture which speaks of having a lot of children, I use Psalms 127 to support putting a limit when one's home is full. (Be fruitful and multiply could be 1 X 1 = 1)

I'm 53 in December and still having cycles. I've been married 33 years. That's a lot of fertile years!

Do you know how many quiverfull Baptist women have changed their 'beliefs' when they have 5 kids in 4 years and are still in their 20's?

How many children do each of you have?
    How many children have you adopted?
    How many foster children have you cared for over the years?

I'll be glad to share MY numbers, if you'll share YOURS. I'm sure Helen will too!

(I won't answer silly questions about my stand on cloning. Anyone who has ever read any of my posts knows that I am very conservative.)

BTW... I'm not ignoring your replies. I don't 'hang out' on the other religion boards very often! Too heated for me! :eek: And you never accomplish anything!

Diane

12. Molly

Molly New Member

I'm not sure about all this...we have 3,but I have not taken birth control pills. We had 2 rather close then 8 years later had our third(which we are very happy about!) We wanted more children at times and it just did not happen. I think we also gave into the world's mentality that 2 or 3 is enough and all we could afford,which is ridiculous....we could afford many children,we just thought we couldn't. Our thinking is different now and we wish we would have desired for more children when we were younger.(Not that I am too old) I'm 35.

I don't think BC(like the pill and such) is right,but I think some planning is okay,too.

When I think of a quiverfull,I do picture a lot of children...but,God designs all families to be different and I don't think we should look down on those who have less children. There is no ideal number. I think 5 or 6 is a good size family. I have friends with 2 or 3 and some with 8-10...they are all godly families. I do know some who may just have one or two and their attitude is that children are not a blessing,they are work. I would think that is not a godly attitude. So,it depends more on the attitude that on the # IMO. Also,some families may have 10 and hate every minute of it,instead of seeing the blessing from it. A large family sure does not mean anything.

We have 3 and desire for more and have wanted more,but we also see God has His plans for us. We do see our children as a blessing from God.

We are hoping to have more children or adopting internationally.(China)

Molly

13. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

"Originally posted by dianetavegia: Women in Biblical times breast fed for several years, which prevents pregnancies in SOME cases. My third child was conceived while I was breast feeding. "

Isn't the way God set things up, naturally spacing children so that the woman has a chance to recover vundebar!

"Just as you use Psalms 127 as the ONLY scripture which speaks of having a lot of children, I use Psalms 127 to support putting a limit when one's home is full. (Be fruitful and multiply could be 1 X 1 = 1)"

Ah relativism!
    So both are correct? Hey, everybody's interprutation of scripture is right. Or perhaps my interprutation used to be right when the Jews were having all the kids they could and now yours is correct? Ya right. I don't know how you can draw a line in the sand on anything from scirpture with this kind of exegesis. The 1x1 quote is quite telling. Do you really think that is what God meant. Be honest now. Do you think that our Hope should be in God providing or in what we think is best for us. I am going to loose my job next week. Should I subtract a couple of kids. Or should I trust that God will provide. I get the same line of arguementation and undermining of scripture from those who are pro-abortion.

"I'm 53 in December and still having cycles. I've been married 33 years. That's a lot of fertile years! "

God gave you them. Isn't it beautiful. Did he somehow make a mistake in giving you 33 years of fertility. What about the women who had 33 years of fertillity before contraception was that a mistake?

"Do you know how many quiverfull Baptist women have changed their 'beliefs' when they have 5 kids in 4 years and are still in their 20's?"

Should we base our beliefs on life experieriences or should we evaluate our life experiences based on our beliefs? There's a difference.

"How many children do each of you have?
    How many children have you adopted?
    How many foster children have you cared for over the years?
    I'll be glad to share MY numbers, if you'll share YOURS. I'm sure Helen will too!"

I held off doing this before because I didn't want people to think I looked down on them. I have 7 kids with the 8th on the way. I make no judgements about those who have less as I do not know what kind of fertility God gave them.

"(I won't answer silly questions about my stand on cloning. Anyone who has ever read any of my posts knows that I am very conservative.)"

You missed my point. Show scriptural support that cloning is bad. That after all is what you raised in saying that getting snipped was fine.

"BTW... I'm not ignoring your replies. I don't 'hang out' on the other religion boards very often! Too heated for me! :eek: And you never accomplish anything!"

I know you will read this one.
    God bless Diane. So glad you blessed us with your company today.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Look up "Traducianism" in your theological dictionaries. God stopped creating on day 7. He is no longer creating. If God created your soul, he would be creating sin. That is incompatible with God. The soul is created by the union of sperm and egg in the natural procreative process. The soul is immaterial (that is that word for it) as opposed to material. You can live past your normal expected life because God gives eternal life. It is not just your soul that lives on. There is also a bodily resurrection.

15. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

So why would you be doing something that's goal was to even try to prevent what God insists upon?

16. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Look up "Traducianism" in your theological dictionaries. God stopped creating on day 7. He is no longer creating. If God created your soul, he would be creating sin. That is incompatible with God. The soul is created by the union of sperm and egg in the natural procreative process. The soul is immaterial (that is that word for it) as opposed to material. You can live past your normal expected life because God gives eternal life. It is not just your soul that lives on. There is also a bodily resurrection. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, thank God this heresy was rejected in the fifth century.

17. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The one who does not provide for his own household is worse than an infidel (1 Tim 5:8). If you can't supporr them, then don't have them. That means contraception can be a part of God's plan.

18. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

The one who does not provide for his own household is worse than an infidel (1 Tim 5:8). If you can't supporr them, then don't have them. That means contraception can be a part of God's plan. </font>[/QUOTE]What a blatent misuse of Scripture! Thus, a man who loses his job but can't find another is an infidel? You really worry me, Larry.

This is SO obviously referring to one who BY CHOICE does not provide for his family, not because one is incapable.

Talk about twisting Scripture.

19. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Just for you, Larry.

Job 31:15
    Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb?

Psalms 139:13
    For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb.

Isaiah 44:2
    Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee;

Isaiah 44:24
    Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb

20. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

Molly,

It is definitely wrong for anyone to look down on another who has fewer kids than they. I am not the judge and don't know why someone has x number of kids. Perhaps infertility. I know a woman who has had 7 miscarriages in trying to have 1 child. Finally got a boy and that is all she has been able to have. It would be wrong for me to in any way hurt her criticizing her for not having more children. Even if I didn't know her situation. The Lord sends children.

The biggest problem in saying I have enough kids is that we do not see how kids are a blessing. We do not see how they ironically help us to grow spiritually. The trials of raising kids are God's way of helping us to mature as Christians. Feeding, clothing, and caring for them is his way of giving each and every one of us who have children an opportunity to live the beatitudes. Parenting removes our selfishness of our single years. It gives us patience.

God bless.