1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A blatant attack on Christianity by Hollywood

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jailminister, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

A new movie that is trying to shove sodomy down our throats as well as other perversion while at the same time attack Christianity is being released.
    Here is where you will find out about it.
    web page
    Check it out and WARN YOUR CHURCHES.

2. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Humm. After watching that trailer ... I gotta say, I know some people JUST LIKE THAT!...

-sighs- it's sad that Hollywood will take this stance on Christianity.

But you know Jail, I will pray for them. All of them. And, Choose not to watch it. No one I know, would watch it. They wouldn't bother. And i'm sure that this is trying to ride on the coat tails of the Passion.

Sad isn't it ?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This movie was briefly discussed on another thread. The best course of action at that time was to withhold judgement until the movie has been reviewed (something learned after "Bruce Almighty", which turned out to be nothing like what naysayers claimed). However, this film has since been reviewed.

After reading numerous reviews from multiple sources, it lools like it has its good points and bad points. The attitude of some of the Christian characters does indeed deserved to be mocked. Assuredly, if any of us came across Christians who acted like some of the characters in this movie, we'd likely be reprimanding them.

The assertion that this movie "shoves sodomy down our throats" appears to be a gross exaggeration. One of the characters, upon finding out that her boyfriend is gay, decides to lose her virginity to him in order to "make him straight". She eventually learns that her reasoning was stupid.

There's not a lot that's redeeming in the film. If you're not easily offended, and you like teen love flicks, you might enjoy this movie. But for most others, the only realy redeeming aspects I see are the following: it discourages self-righteousness; it discourages abortion (there's a subplot where a girl gets pregnant, goes to an abortion clinic, but decides not to go through with it); and discourages using people (McCauly Culkin does a good job portraying a wheelchair bound invidivual who is tired of his sister thinking he's her personal cross to bear). But the unredeeming qualities outweigh the redeeming ones. There's a somewhat abundant amount of unredeeming sexual content, and a fair amount of teen smoking. There's a fair amount of profanity. Not anymore than a lot of other films, but the way its used is a bit more obvious.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that this movie mocks Christianity. It does, however, mock some Christians who deserve to be mocked. It work in the same manner that countless movies have been made about high school kids in Catholic Schools (where is the uproar whenever one of those films comes out? Perhaps it's because we think it's okay to mock Christians who differ from us in doctrine) But the main content of this film is not about Christianity. This film is simply a teenage hormone flick set in a Christian school.

(Again, I ask the question, why are we making a big deal about this now? There have been numerous films that mock the Catholic religion via Cathilc private high schools. Perhaps we should have said something then.)

As far as uproars go, there's no need to make much over this. It's not a very good movie. You can't even blame Hollywood, because this film was made in Vancouver. As for me, I'm a hardworking single parent who recognizes that it costs 9 bucks just to get in. For my money, I'll pass this film and hold out for something a little more worthy of my 9 bucks. I encourage you to do the same. Don't waste your money.

4. onestand

onestand New Member

Well, I must admit I'm not highly impressed with the previews of this movie, HOWEVER, I do know from experience of seeing previews and then going to see the movie itself that many times the movie is nothing like the preview shown. I think before I go out on a limb and give this movie a bad rating I shall see it first and know what the context is and understand the storyline and THEN give my thoughts on it.

I didn't notice any references made to sodomy in the trailer though, perhaps I missed it or something.

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Gal 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Chuck Colson did a great "Breakpoint" on the radio yesterday about this movie.

7. onestand

onestand New Member

you can't judge a book by it's cover, finding out what the whole thing is about is better than assuming.

8. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Bruce Almighty - Is my favorite movie of all time. It captured everything It needed to. It made me laugh and it made me cry. [​IMG]

I didn't see any of the Sodomy on it either . I think i missed that part too. But I still think it's like Not another teen movie and so on ..

9. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

That move I believe is wrong. We can say why did we not stand against this movie or that one but see that is living in the past and only the devil loves to bring up the past. This is now and just by looking at the website I can see a mockery not of Christianity but of Christ. They have Jesus there with the skateboard and before all of you roll your eyes and huff and puff because I make mention of Jesus with the skateboard hear me out. Jesus is not just some average Joe that we can joke around about and bring down to our level. Jesus is Gods Holy son the one who gave us salvation the one who all of heaven proclaims as the Lamb of God worthy to lose the scrolls. The Alpha and Omega. I believe to bring Jesus down to our level and give Him some skateboard is wrong because Jesus like I said before is not just some average Joe smoe. We need to respect Christ and treat Jesus with reverence not foolishness and as some joke we can portray as a skateboarding figure. I think if any Christian thinks it is OK to put Christ on skateboards and throw His image around like it is just any other person we need to read Gods Word Christ is Holy not some image we can defame. Also on the website it makes reference carelessly to the passion lets not be ridiculous you know exactly what it is doing when it ask "you got passion" maybe we made mistakes in past but I think just seeing the previews is enough to show mockery. And if other Christians act in such a way that it hurts Christ why should we go and laugh at that. Why should we shrug our shoulders and go "oh well isn't it funny" I am guilty as any one else. But its not funny guys this world is going to hell while we sit and laugh and accept everything under the sun. I know a big deal was made about "Bruce Almighty" and it should have been. I came in while one of family members was watching it and how blasphemous was it. And yet Christians said "oh its funny and good" How?? a Holy God giving His powers to someone who uses it for sexual advances and to lift a skirt up on a girl he was not married to or did not know according to movie how it goes. Christians what we are calling good is not good at all it is bad. And I know people will roll their eyes call me a legalist but man some of this stuff we are putting the OK on is not OK at all. Like Adam Sandler movies I love them but recently noticed they get dirty more and more as new ones come out. And the language and sexual content is wrong and we laugh and think oh well its not as bad as.... And we make excuses. Man lets wake up out of this carnal comfort zone and stop accepting trash and stand against stuff. We are supposed to be different and to get back with subject this movie maybe be funny and maybe the girl does not go through with the abortion but does the few good things make it an OK movie? I don't mean to make people upset I am as guilty as anything when it comes to accepting the wrong movies as OK so I challenge all of us lets be careful was we tell others is good because we could be hurting our testimony and causing a brother to stumble. Thanks God bless

10. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

1 more thing and I will shut up Jim Carrey also mocked Christ when he went on an awards program and in refference to his movie and the even the Passion I believe joked about all of america coming to Christ and had a big laugh in the name of Jesus. Why would we want to support someone like that?

11. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

**YAWN**

what do you expect from pagans?

John 15:24
    If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

12. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I refused to watch Bruce Almighty for a long time. For that very reason. However, I sat down this past weekend with the prodding of my father and my husband and watched it. I was very surprised at how it effected me. Here is how it did .

When Bruce asked if he could ask that, and he said YES you can ... (this was profound to me)

The second point that got to me was when Bruce asked how you could make someone love you without effecting free will. THIS really got to me and this instance is what made it my favorite film.

Dallas I respect your opinions and I agree with you on some points, But there is one thing we disagree.

Bruce is a Character in the mind of a writer that Jim Carey protrayed in a film.

Jim's opinions are his own. Jim was acting out someone else's opinions and views, not his own. Therefore I support the Writer of Bruce Almighty .... BUT, I am saddened by his joke.

This new movie I'll say one more time. Is nothing more than a Weird al apporach to Passion. (I hope that you understand the reference). I'll explain it anyway...

Weird al Yankovic has spent his career making fun of serious movies, music and so on. He's made us all laugh, but sometimes his jokes are in poor taste. This movie MIGHT have some redeeming qualities, but i'm sure that SOME of it is in more taste. We'll have to wait and see.
    Thanks and God Bless

13. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

CR, I know it is normal for the paganist and humanistist in Holly wood, but we just need to warn the churches, especially the kids when we find out about this kind of trash.

14. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

the more you warn Jail, the more kids will go and see the flick. God is in control. NO worries here.

15. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

He's right Jail. That is how it works. The more you warn, the more they will be apt to see it. It's like that with everything. Once something is closed off to them, It will make them want it all the more, Sad but true

16. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

1Jo 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not [his] brother abideth in death.

1Jo 4:21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. But you can judge a cover by its cover... and since a cover is part of the book, if its bad then the book is in need of repair or discard.

18. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Humm, Scott J, the bible says to not judge a book by its cover.
    John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment

19. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am not really worried about it. It looks more like the catholic jesus anyway. Such a jesus isn't able to save.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A cover is not an appearance... it's a cover. I have direct knowledge. I work for a book printer and binder.