1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Brit's View of the Superbowl

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Ulsterman, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

There has been some discussion in the past as to the merits of American Football vs "Soccer". Well, this comment about sums up the perspective from this side of the Atlantic.

“You may have noticed I haven't made any comment about the Superbowl.

Well no, I didn't stay up and watch it. I'd rather watch a plank warp.

Next year I'd be delighted if some of my so-called British pals could stop trying to enlighten me as to the great merits of this utterly stupid game.

Any sport that requires you to change the entire team every 10 minutes or so is a nonsense. (Look at the flak Sven got when he did this in friendlies!)

Anyway, congratulations to whichever collection of outsized, walking, talking brick outhouses won it this year. Bully for you.” :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/4688458.stm

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Thanks for that enlightenment :rolleyes:

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't watch the Super Bowl either (I'm a college football kind of guy), but I'd rather watch a plank warp than watch a soccer match for 5 mins.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

...or we could just watch a bunch of effeminate Europeans run up and down a field in short pants for an hour.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The game come on just about my time for tea and crumpits. It somehow made them taste a little better.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Ulsterman,
    Thanks for your insight.We on this side of the pond could'nt have lived another minute without it.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

When I was in Dublin, the whole city was pretty excited about the matchup between Notre Dame and Navy. Of course, they had to borrow goalposts from the Scotland Claymores and scoreboards from the London Monarchs, but they got the field set up and packed the house.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I was at that match - the vast majority of the fans were Americans. I stood on Hill 16 with a few Irish and they got bored and left.

Most Irish didn't even know there was an American football match on that day. I got home, told them where I was, and they didn't have a clue.

We Yanks might have thought it was pretty cool, but that was about it. There were 38,651 at a stadium that packs in 80,000+ for Gaelic football and hurling.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Effeminate? On what do you base that assesment?

I am an American living here. I enjoyed the Scotland/France rugby match Sunday MUCH more than that dreadful Super Bowl. It was the pits.

10. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Honestly, you Americans are so sensitive! You have obviously never seen Gaelic football, hurling or rugby.

Its not my insight (although I am, admittedly, sympathetic with it), they're the words of a BBC sports writer.

And your point is?

You all take this as an attack upon America - its a criticism of a sport - no more, no less. Its not a criticism made of baseball (another all American sport), or basketball - which is avidly followed by a large contingent of European sports fans), its acriticism of American football as a game - don't take it so personally. (Psalm 119:165) [​IMG]

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Honestly, you Americans are so sensitive! You have obviously never seen Gaelic football, hurling or rugby.</font>[/QUOTE]Actually, I have. I spent some summers with family in Ireland as a child and am very active in the Irish and Irish/American community here in the US (hint: "McK*****" = Irish surname). I've made many trips to the Anglesea Pub at 0600 to watch Gaelic football from Ireland.

We also have a thriving GAA here. While I don't play, I have several friends who do.

My friends who are Irish immigrees who live here now are completely insane about the Philadelphia Eagles.

Maybe we are but try to imagine it from our perspective. We constantly hear our country and our culture and our traditions condemned and ridiculed by foreigners.

Football, at least as it exists currently, is uniquely American and many of us have deep personal and emotional ties (some of which go back generations) to college teams and professional teams that we identify closely with, either becuase they represent our schools or our city, both things that we are a part of.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Maybe we can all take a lesson from that Mike.

Soccer and rugby fans in Europe have the same deep personal and emotional ties (some of which go back generations) to soccer and rugby teams with which they closely identify, either because they repressnt their nation or city, both things that they are a part of.

Maybe we would be best realising that different folks enjoy different sports and learn to accept and respect that perspective.

It is just as disrepectful to talk about a "bunch of effeminate Europeans playing a no skill sport that looks like it belongs in the Special Olympics" as it is to make fun of American football and just as offensive.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh, so:
    1. You plagarized? ;)
    2. Since when does quoting the BBC give something creedence? :D

Besides, you should get an interest in football or something else. You gotta have something to do to tide you over between England's dreadful World Cup appearances :D

14. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Yes, especially against N. Ireland - my home country!!
    ;)

Actually, last night I took an American missionary along to an English FA Cup game (Chelsea vs Everton). It was a great match (5 goals in all) and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. He asked me about some of the whys and wherefores of the game, and once he understood what was going on he entered into the spirit of the game and had a great time! Right there, lies the heart of the matter. Most Brits are sold out to soccer, rugby etc ., and have little inclination to learn the rules and finer points a new sport. and I believe the same is true of the Americans with respect to their sporting traditions. I am quite sure I would enjoy American football immensely if I were to go along to a few games and have some kind soul explain what I am looking at. Though I still think I would find the continual breaks in play frustrating ;)

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I have grown to appreciate the feelings about the breaks in and length of play in an American football game. If the game is televised we all know that it can take over three hours for the game to be completed. One of the nice things about soccer and rugby is that you know how long a game will take and the action basically doesn't stop except for penalties.

I watched the Super Bowl on tape and found myself wondering if the game would ever end. It seemed to go on forever. Of course, it wasn't the best game ever played ;) .

I watched a terrible rugby match Saturday between Ireland and Italy. It was poorly played and boring. I also watched the France/Scotland match Sunday afternoon. It was an amazing match and was glued to the set.

There are excting and boring matches in all variations of football. I have seen many BORING soccer matches. I have also see boring rugby and American football matches. On the other hand I have seen terribly exciting matches in all three variations.

Before moving here I found soccer boring and rugby confusing. Now that I have been here a fews years I enjoy them as well as American football. I even enjoy a good cricket match now that I understand it (at least a little ;) ).

BTW - Ulsterman was one of my early soccer tutors ;) .

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm used to my favorite sport (auto racing) being mocked, and the reason a sport is usually criticized is because those who criticize it don't truly understand it. For every exciting race in Nascar, F1, etc., there are an equal number of them, or more, that I've fallen asleep watching.

One of the big problems with this year's Super Bowl was that it wasn't well played. The last 2 Super Bowls were pretty good because both teams played well.

I agree with Ulsterman in that, if somebody could explain to me what I'm looking at when watching soccer, I think I could enjoy it.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As a diehard football fan, I wholeheartedly concur. [​IMG]

18. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was stationed in England for 3 years and loved following soccer then and even went to some games in Swindon (D2 team now I think)

My wife is British and the in-laws are diehard Manchester United fans. I think I said this before somewhere, but the World Cup is an awesome event and I try to watch all the games possible. However, I do feel European soccer is a tad less exciting when compared to Latin American and African soccer.

I even enjoyed going to professional minor league soccer when stationed in SC. They drew 4 or 5K every game so I think soccer is doing ok over here.

19. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Roger, you would love it at the Bridge now. The crowd stands as one and sings "Stand up for the Champions!" I know the other fans and teams must hate it, and whereas they used to be ABU's they are now all ABC's. Before Abromovich we were laughed at, post Abromovich we are hated. Either way its always great to be a CFC fan!

20. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Soccer and cricket bore me.So I don't bother watching.I also don't write hateful things to people I don't know just because of thier nationality or the sport of thier nation and if I did something like that I would like to think I could come up with my own insults instead of stealing them from someone else.