1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A brothers bowels

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

You're funny. You think I care about the rebuking of men when I shall stand before God one day? That which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

OOOOOOOH! I shudder. I'm glad to see wherein lies your faith and allegiance.
    Listen to what another man had to say about trusting in man and receiving the things of God at the hands of man. Maybe you've heard of him. His name is Paul.
    Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Maybe C4K will not feel believe it necessary to delete this post. We'll see...:rolleyes:

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cutter, you are bearing false witness against godly men who have tried to translate the orginal languages in a dignified contemporary form of English. Of course we are all to be judged by God. What I am addressing is the fact that you are deliberately spreading misinformation about men who have given themselves to a holy task. Yet you demean them with unfounded charges. If they are guilty of what you accuse them of -- face-off against them. Don't slander them with your one-man rumor-mill. One guy here tried to say nonsensical things about BJU and was chastened.Take a lesson.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Only one warning. Lets get back to the topic or we will need to close this.

The topic of thread was the phrase "bowels of mercy" not the motivation of translating teams.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised that no one has made a joke of the OP.I mean come on, a brother's bowels. That does not invoke the most pleasant of images.That's why I like so many of the pre-Rheims versions better. They expressed the meaning in better ways so that even a person of today can understand easily enough.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

That's because nobody had the guts.

:D

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Now that's a coffee-spurted-all-over-the-keyboard response. Now I have to try to explain to my poor deaf wife why I was laughing so hard!!!:laugh:

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought this was interesting as told by Leonard Sweet in 11 Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without"

Bishop John Sperry, the retired Anglican bishop of the Arctic, had been a missionary bishop in the vast Yukon Territory, where there was no Inuit (Eskimo) translation of the Bible. So, he set about producing one, but fairly quickly came to a sudden halt. In the Inuit language there is no word for joy, just images and metaphors. When the translators came to the resurrection story (John 20:20; Luke 24:41; Matt 28:8), they had to find a word to express joy, and the closest metaphor to what joy meant in Inuit culture was "wagging the tail". That explains why in Inuit, John 20:20 became, "When the disciples saw the Lord, they wagged their tails."

Love that story and the image it creates in my head every time I read it. Also shows the difficult task of Bible translation.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but I wouldn't take it as far as some stories I have heard. You know, a culture is not familiar with sheep, so pigs are substituted instead.