1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A case for Free Will through self-imposed limitations of the Sovereignty of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Ro 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Paul very "CLEARLY" defined the difference between "having the will", and "having the means" to perform.

Having a "Free will" can't/won't "Stop sin", it just means God won't give you a bath unless you're "WILLING" to let him give you a bath.

We do have the "CHOICE" of remaining a "dirty old man" or a "CLEANED UP, New Creature". :D

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Almost "Everything" in scripture has an "Exception", so scripture must be understood "IN CONTEXT" of what is being said.

It's appointed to man to die "ONCE", (not Twice, second death), but even then, some will never die, as in the rapture.

The "Rapture" is an "Exception" to the "Appointment",

a careful/close study of scripture will reveal many more "exceptions" to other things as well.

Through "FOREKNOWLEDGE", The names of all the saved were written before the foundation of the world, and only those names will be saved,

but God isn't "confined" to the "present", he can go back to the "Beginning" to record any name of a person saved "TODAY".

Man "Thinks" in terms of "past, present, future", that isn't true for God, while their name wasn't recorded until "TODAY" when they "CHOSE" to be saved, God can go back to the "Beginning" to record their name.

Man believes the names written from the beginning can't be "altered" by people choosing to be saved, "TODAY", this is "predestination". but in the "CONTEXT" of God, they certainly can.

The term "Foreknowledge" doesn't accurately describe God who sits "outside" the "realm of time".

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello partialrapture.

If it is for the sharpening then that must mean that you do not believe in the Trinity? I thought you were contrasting the difficulty of the Trinity with the difficulty of free will and God's Sovereignty.

God's control? God's Sovereignty. Sovereignty being the operative word. How can two be sovereign? God is One.

Do you believe in the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit of the baptismal formula?

I used to think a lot about how. I think I have some helpful understanding (speculation?) of the Trinity but I have not tried it in public and I don't know really if it would be helpful. :cool:

How's that. God bless you as well man and may His Wisdom be revealed.

john.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Me4Him.

The next stop, the Twilight Zone. :cool: And just where in scripture is this little gem?

To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn. Isaiah 8:20.

Why? Did He not know in advance? If God can go back in time then back in time still exists and in one part of that back in time Christ is still on the cross. You err.

Speculation is part of our creativeness and is fine kept in it's place but when speculation supports a doctrine you are in trouble because you lack scriptural proof.

That is a denial of scripture as translated then? Which word would you like to see replace it? Foreknowledge means to know someting before it happens so it is no surprise to see you don't think it accurately describes the Greek word that it is intended to translate into.

Come on now where's your scripturual proof? You have none. :cool:

JN 13:9 "Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

JN 13:10 Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

They didn't even know that Christ had cleansed them already. You are wrong. :cool: It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus... 1 Cor 1:30. God is Sovereign. I am what I am by the grace of God... 1 Cor 15:10. And so are you. :cool:

john.

5. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

John, I "think" you need to "meditate", "let it sink in", before answering. :confused:

If God is in the "Twilight zone", you'll have to get in the twilight zone with him to understand him. :eek: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

No not 'you' but He would bring me into it 'if'.