1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a Challenge For Some...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many (not all)avid KJV readers do not really know what a given text actually means.They may be very familiar with the form of words -- but the essence of the message is muted frequently.They cherish a tradition.

You exceeded my expectations a smidgen.Your effort was merely fair.

I didn't give you demerits because you failed to use the "exact words" of a number of MV's.I gave zip when you showed that you didn't know the thrust of a verse.I awarded you partial credit when you understood part of the particular phrase --but missed a segment which was important.Sometimes you did not finish one of the items.You rated an incomplete.But nice guy that I am,I gave you half a point out of the generosity of my heart.

I think I have proven the reverse.The KJV is not so easy to understand even for vets like you.That's why you need to switch over to some modern versions for study.The KJV carries too much luggage.One has to translate much of the time.It's better to go through one less hoop in the process of Bible study.

#21 Rippon, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Multiple post.

#22 Rippon, Nov 18, 2008
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate it when this multiple stuff happens.

#23 Rippon, Nov 18, 2008
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have dispatched that notion.

"It sounds beautiful".That tells me you are influenced by its esthetic quality more than anything else.I tell you that Luke 2 sounds beautiful in every valid modern version.You are simply attached to the KJV because it's your tradtion."It sounds like the Bible ought to sound.Other versions just don't have that same ring of authority." Etc.Etc.

You said in another post that the KJV is easy enough for anyone to understand,or words to that effect.Which is it?

BTW,The HCSB and TNIV are much closer to one another than you may think.They're about as close as the ESV and the NRSV are to one another.(Pss,don't tell Wayne Grudem I said so.That would go against his ESV marketing methods.)

5. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we will have to "agree to disagree". I missed the part though where someone made YOU the Bible authority?:smilewinkgrin:

6. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Some people don't want to take the time to look up the meaning of a word that they don't understand. Do you think people understand every word that they read in a science or medical book? Should we then throw them out or reject them because a lot of people don't understand some medical or scientific words? Or should those people simply look for the meaning of whatever word they don't understand?

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Why should one have to go look up a meaning? Why not use words that most modern english people use and can understand?

8. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you can use a MV if you don't want to do that, I don't have a problem with anyone using any version they want. I'm just saying that the KJV is very understandable to most of the people who choose to use it. Rippon seemed to think in his OP that KJV users don't understand what they are reading. He "graded" me, which I personally think I got ALL right, on his "opinion". I put into my words what the words he posted meant, and read it for yourself, I got them ALL. If you or anyone else chooses another version, that's fine with me. I just get tired of the anti-KJV attitude. It seems that the disdain for the KJV-ONLY crowd has been transferred to the KJV Bible. Anyway, I'm all done with this thread, because I feel Rippon really isn't being fair in admitting I was right in my answers. How about the rest of you, I would be interested in how the rest of you think I did.

#28 Baptist4life, Nov 18, 2008
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How to "Draw A Crowd"!

Food fight! Food fight!

C'mon, everybody - let's all watch!!

[​IMG][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Ed
    [/FONT]

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ed, you are a subtle character.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You left out the critical word "justice".The antiquated use of "judgment" in the KJV needs to be rendered in the modern form.That's why you got a zero.

ESV:justice for all who are oppressed
    Net :Justice for all the oppressed

ESV : They exchanged the glory of God
    The Message :They traded the Glory
    Net : They traded their majestic God
    NIrV : They traded their glorious God

That's why you got half-credit.

ESV and NASU : I said in my alarm
    NJB : In my terror I said

That's why you got only partial credit.Yoy emphasized "haste" with the words "too soon" when that is needed.Also,"dismay" doesn't really mean the same thing as "alarm" or "terror".

That's why I gave you less than full credit.You didn't finish the crucial last part of the sentence.Your thought just dangled out there.It was incomplete on your part.I could have "justly" marked you down to zero;but I'm a nice guy.

ESV : for your rules at all times
    NIrV : for your laws at all times
    Net : your regulations at all times

Now if you can't see how you rightly deserved a zero here --I don't know what to say.You didn't even paraphrase the idea -- your wording was way off the mark.

(The wording of the ESV and NASU were too close to that of the KJV here.)
    NJB : I have seen that all perfection is finite,but your commandment has no limit.
    Net : I realize that everything has its limits,but your commands are beyond full comprehension.
    NIrV : I've learned that everything has its limits.But your commands are perfect.

First of all,you shouldn't use the same kind of phraseology :"my eyes fail".To see if you really understand you need to translate in more current language.Plus it wasn't the Lord's "righteousness" but his deliverance -- David wanted to be saved (but not in the evangelical sense)."From seeking Your righteous Word"? No.Not at all.This is why you merited a zero.

Net : My eyes grow tired as I wait for your deliverance,for your reliable promise to be fulfilled.
    NIrV : My eyes grow tired as I look to you to save me.Please save me as you have promised.

I had given you full credit here.But (confidentially) you misfired on this one too.

ESV :evil purpose
    NJB : wicked designs
    NIrV : evil plans
    Net note :those who pursue wrong

12. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh: :laugh: OK. You said that we didn't understand the KJV. I proved that we/I do. So, you get a zero!:laugh: :laugh:

#32 Baptist4life, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
  13. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Think.. the point Rippon is trying to make and if so, I agree with him is that many of the rabid KJVOites don't know the vocabulary and or syntax of the AV as well as they advertise. I personally like the KJV but it is not my go to translation. In the past, I have done most of my study in the NT. In the last few years I have been reading through the Bible start to finish and find many words in the KJV that I don’t even recognize. I'm not lazy nor am I stupid; it's just that I live 397 years after the AV was introduced. My native language has changed in those years.

Tom

14. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I can understand that. I just think Rippon is being unfair in his assessment of my answers. God bless!

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You simply used the quote function to copy my post --but apparently didn't read the contents.Strange.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

That might take more than he can do by himself.:D

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I was hoping that a couple of the other more forceful KJVO's would give this a shot.

I'll never forget the day when I discovered that the 'quick and the dead' was not referring to folks who got killed while moving too fast! I felt like an idiot because that is really what I though it meant, and my more learned brethren had a good laugh at my expense.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Because the vast usage of modern English words varies in such a broad spectrum that no one can understand everything in even a modern version without using a dictionary.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

There you show a simpleton's understanding of English.

You know what that whitish portion of your fingernail is called that you're supposed to keep the skin pushed back to prevent craking at the cuticle?

It's called the "QUICK" of your finger. Press on it real hard with another finger nail or maybe a knife and see how mcuh ALIVE you really were all along!:laugh:

Now, look into a "quiver" and consider our English prefix "qui". Then understand why the part of your finger is the "quick" due to its being one of five fingers.

OK, so you think that's too much "work":laugh: /STUDY! but try to explain all that about being alive, five, and fingers from any mv!:p :BangHead:

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your sentences are not too clear.

Are you trying to say that one who uses a modern version would have to use a dictionary as much as one who uses a KJV (of whatever model)?

Besides,how would you know?Do you own and read any modern versions?If not, you're not speaking from any practical experience.

Sal.Why didn't you venture forth to accept the challenge I made in the OP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.