1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Christian filmmaker's responsibilty

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by KeithKorg19, May 23, 2004.

1. KeithKorg19

KeithKorg19 New Member

Hello all,
    As a aspiring filmmaker I have been thinking over this question for a long time. What kind of content can or should a Christian made film have? I hear a lot of Christians critisize movies that have sinful situations, even if those situations are protrayed as a negative thing. This doesn't seem right to me.
    So what responsiblity does a Christian filmmaker have? Should he be limited in the subject matter he deals with? Can sex, nudity, cursing, or violence ever be justified? Even if used in a context that futhers the message of the movie?

What are your thoughts?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good question Keith.

A lot depends on what you are trying to do. Is it evangalism, edification, or entertainment.

I for one certainly think that the topic you mentioned should not be portrayed on screen. See Ephesians 5 for some of my reasoning. All of thses attitudes can be depicted in a high quality film with good actors without showing any actual sex, nudity, cursing, or violence.

There is a film out that, though the acting is campy, does a good job of indicating wickedness without "showing anything". It is called "In Your Wildest Dreams." Have a look for some ideas. I know that Feature Films for the Family releases it.

A Christian filmaker has a responsibility to honour the Lord in all that he produces and not to stir up purient interest.

3. KeithKorg19

KeithKorg19 New Member

Entertainment is my main focus. But not cheap entertainment like Hollywood. It is easier said than done, but my movies will (hopefuly) be a little bit deeper than the average flick. Hopefuly. Big words I know.

I don't know... If you cut out all the things that people find objectionable you can end up with something that looks like Leave it to Beaver. There are times when "Gee wiz!" just doesn't cut it.

Ok, lets imagine that we am making a movie. The movie is meant for entertainment, but presents spiritual questions and has a strong moral message. The story contains several instances of violence and sexuality, but they are nessesary for the plot. How would you handle it? At what point is your creative control limited by your own moral standards?
    Are the means justified by the end? Does the moral of the story justify the way it is presented?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

All kinds of issues here, don't have time at the moment or over the next few days, but here is one.

Are you going to use Christian actors? Are you going to ask a Christian young lady to expose her body for "all the world to see?"

It is possible to deal with sexulaity without showing sex or nudity. Hollywood did it for years. Why do do if it is not necessary?

5. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Just a quick "for instance". go back to the film archives and watch some of the old movies.

One we see every year is, "It's a Wonderful Life".

Also see if you can find some of the old dramas made in the forties.

They told a story, had a moral, a lot had no profanity, and you had to imagine what they were doing in the bedroom when the door closed.

I for one would like to see a lot more films like that today.

(Just my two cents)

Tam.

[​IMG]

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Amen Tam! [​IMG] And me too, I can't stand how morals have been changed over the years because of what is on the tube. I'd say try some Little House on the Prarie stuff. I would love to be able to watch a show (any show) agian without having to block the TV screen like I used to every few minuets from little eyes. :eek: (if ya know what I mean?) Accually you'd be surprised how many might feel the same way about something clean and entertaining. [​IMG] I don't watch too much TV anymore because of the content, but my hubby still does so I still hear it. :(

Wishing you the best on your movie making career~

Music4Him

7. aefting

aefting New Member

Many of these issues are dealt with thoroughly and from a Biblical perspective in an article entitled, A Biblical Approach to Objectionable Elements, and available at

www.bjup.com/resources/articles/white_papers/objectionable_elements.html

I think you will find this article thought provoking and very helpful in deciding what is appropriate and what is not.

Andy

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

It was actually one scene from "Its a Wonderful Life" that came to mind when I wrote that thought in my last post. It is when Violet says about her dress, "O this little ole thing. I only wear when I don't care what I am wearing," and she flips her hair and walks down the footpath. All the men look, one fella almost gets hit by a car, and Bert the cop says, "I'm going home to see my wife." EVERYONE got the idea about what kind of girl Violet was and the impact in that she had on men in that one little scene. The look on Jimmy Stewart's face was enough by itself.

It is possible. It just takes work and creativity.