1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Christian's biggest sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, May 29, 2013.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

In a general sense, cliques are no problem at all; But when it comes to the local Church they can mean big trouble for those who are in them.

A “Clique”(a small, exclusive group of friends or associates), sure seems like a nice place to be, but when it’s within the Church and there are people who you regularly “dismiss” as not being good enough to be friendly to; It can mean BIG TROUBLE.

Not only are you hurting the Church and those within it, but your hurting yourself, by distancing yourself from people who can really be a blessing to you, if you would only let them. But this isn’t the BIG TROUBLE that I am referring to.

According to the Bible, there is “one sin”, that stands out as the biggest sin a Christian can commit. In fact, the Lord plainly tells us, that this sin is SO BIG, that it most likely means, that we aren’t really saved at all.

For sure, there are unsaved Church members within every Church; But how can they be identified(according to the Bible). In 1Corinthians 5:11 we have a list of sins, that the Lord tells us are at the top of His list. But none of them is said to cast doubt upon a person’s salvation.

Yet there is a sin, that the Lord regularly tells us, is so bad that committing it could mean that we aren’t truly saved at all......
    1John 4:20
    “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

According to this verse(and others), “not loving your brother” puts you on VERY DANGEROUS GROUND.

So the next time, you see a brother or sister in Church, that is not part of your particular clique, you should go out of your way to show your love for them. But, if you discover that you just can’t do it, then there is another Bible verse you need to read....
    2 Corinthians 13:5
    “Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?”

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I wonder how the Amish view these scripture when they decide to have a shunning ?

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

biggest sin for Christians is the preaching of false doctrine and the supporting of it--they will suffer the same portion as the Unbelievers--really sad thing :-(

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Seems to be that favoritism that God's word speaks about in James 2 and we do it in the Church and outside the Church to the detriment of growing God's Kingdom.:(

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree that it's a Christian's biggest sin but I do think that it hinders our work for the Kingdom.

6. stilllearning

What do you think is the Christian’s biggest sin?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Unbelief.
    :tear:

8. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

Good original post and I can see where you are coming from. And thank God I'm not one to play favorites or to be "cliquish....as to me I try and see good in everyone and basically I am a people person who likes people and for by the grace of God there go I.

There are a few things to keep in mind though so as to not take it so personal. For one OFFENSE is the number one tool Satan uses to cause dissension within the church. And yes there are tares among the wheat.

The truth is just as it is wrong to cause dissention, it is just as wrong to be easily OFFENDED. Believe me I know where you coming from as I too have been hurt by those who have dissed me or ignored me (usually women) get in their little groups and you become the outsider.

IDK, maybe it is because my whole life I have been set apart. I never really did fit in among women groups and most of my friends growing up were all one on one and many were guy friends...so I really don't know how the "GAME' works, so I don't play.

I have learned that I am accountable for my RESPONSE and that is all.

I have learned if someone or some group doesn't want me it is their LOSS, not mine. Why would I want to be around people who don't want to be around me?...to what "fit in?"....I know who I am...I am a child of God, I have a lot to offer...I'm not doing anything so bad as to deserve dissing.

So, I need to keep my head up high, continue to be who God made me and be kind one to another as best as I can and with the help of the Lord.

Don't worry about what others think (unless you do need to change something) for you're not going to please everyone...do the right thing and know God is with you and loves even if others do not.

I highly recommend the book..."THE BAIT OF SATAN"

9. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

So if you believe in eternal security for the believers, how will they suffer the same portion as the unbelievers ? Or do you believe in backsliding ?

10. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

Good one Salzer...Christians works will not be judged only their faithfulness
    1 Cor 3:11... For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's;

22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's;

23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

11. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

same as the servants of the Lord that do as the Unbelievers do in the Parable of the Steward and his Servants--they suffer the same portion as the Unbelievers--now you have to figure out whats the portion of the Unbelievers ?? the scripture is plain on that teaching--read it and see what you think that it teaches

I do Hold to the Security of the Believer--that has nothing to do with the rewards they suffer for their deeds--People want to try and make it where the Saints will have it made in the shade--no matter how they act or do--that is NOT what the scripture teaches--more is expected and required from the Saints than the unbelievers--and those Saints who know to do good and do it not--MANY stripes will they be beaten with :tear::tear::tear:

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When believers are taught false doctrine, they cannot live a life that is fully pleasing to God - and often times just don't have the maturity to understand that on their own. We just counseled someone who grew up in false doctrine and he loves the Lord with all his heart and is absolutely saved but his growth was completely stunted by what he learned. He now has the job of overcoming this bad teaching and working harder to grow to where he needs to be. So no, he didn't lose his salvation but he certainly wasn't even mature enough to give the gospel to anyone else - or lead his wife in a way that the Word tells men to.

13. stilllearning

Hello HisWitness and welcome to the board.

This parable.......
    Matthew 25:14-30
    V.14 ¶ For [the kingdom of heaven is] as a man travelling into a far country, [who] called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
    V.15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
    V.16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made [them] other five talents.
    V.17 And likewise he that [had received] two, he also gained other two.
    V.18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.
    V.19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    V.20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
    V.21 His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    V.22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
    V.23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
    V.24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    V.25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, [there] thou hast [that is] thine.
    V.26 His lord answered and said unto him, [Thou] wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
    V.27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and [then] at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
    V.28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents.
    V.29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    V.30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

......is depicting the Church, in the same way that most parables do.
    (From the viewpoint of the local Church; That has a both saved and unsaved membership.)
    It is clear from Verse 30, that this “servant” was an unsaved Church member.

There will be NO PUNISHMENT for Saints, in glory; Just a loss of reward and being ashamed for their foolishness.....
    1 John 2:28
    “And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.”

14. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you cant be a Servant of the Lord and be unsaved--unsaved people are unbelievers--how can the unbelievers have the same portion as the unbelievers--doesn't even make sense--having the same portion with the unbelievers is speaking of the believers in this case--I understand you are trying to protect eternal security(which is true) many times our misunderstanding of scriptures and doctrines leads us to take what truth we do know and twist the other scriptures around to fit the mold--we ALL have done this--But lets focus on getting the true meaningof all the scriptures.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Since Jesus Himself tells us that no one will snatch us out of His hand and any sheep that stray, He will rescue, I don't see at all how one can believe that we can lose our salvation.

However, as I was reading John 6 today, I saw where some of the disciples were upset about something that Jesus said. He said, "But there are some of you who do not believe." (vs. 64). They were in the company of Jesus, followed Him, probably enjoyed being a part of that group - but were not His. I have known numerous people within the church who were the same. They were not saved but instead enjoyed the social aspect of church. Yes, there are those who are in the church and even serve but are not at all a child of God.

16. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I NEVER said a Saint could lose their salvation--here again Dear friend--you are reading something im not saying in this--because it seems to go against eternal security--when it does in no wise do so.

And Again if they were not saved--then they would already have been Unbelievers--So I ask again how can unbelievers suffer the same as unbelievers?? the point is ALL unbelievers suffer as Unbelievers--there is a contrast being made in this text that seperates unbelievers from Believers and says the believers would have the same portion(contrast) as the Unbelievers-Again note that Unbelievers are doing the same as the rest of the Unbelievers--he was warning the Believers in this case to do NOT as the Unbelievers--no sense in warning some unbelievers to not be like unbelievers--Unbelievers are unbelievers

17. stilllearning

Hello again HisWitness

You said.....
    “you cant be a Servant of the Lord and be unsaved--unsaved people are unbelievers–“

Yes you can. The Bible is full of examples of God using UNSAVED people(and even Satan himself) as His servants, to accomplish his will.
    Furthermore, there is no Scripture saying that God couldn’t or shouldn’t use the unsaved.
    -------------------
    You also said.......
    “how can the unbelievers have the same portion as the unbelievers--doesn't even make sense--having the same portion with the unbelievers is speaking of the believers in this case”

The “portion” you refer to is “one talent”, or one opportunity. As my handle indicates, I do not have all the answers; But Verse 30 of this passage, lets us all know for sure, that this “servant” was not saved!
    -------------------
    Then you said........
    I understand you are trying to protect eternal security(which is true) many times our misunderstanding of scriptures and doctrines leads us to take what truth we do know and twist the other scriptures around to fit the mold--we ALL have done this--But lets focus on getting the true meaning of all the scriptures.”

You don’t understand my intent at all. I try hard, to NEVER HAVE an axe to grind or a point to PROVE(this is very dangerous). But there are the sound teachings of Scripture, that I have an obligation as a Christian, to defend.
    One of those sound teachings, is God’s promise to born again Christians....
    2 Corinthians 5:10
    “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things [done] in [his] body, according to that he hath done, whether [it be] good or bad.”

No Christian will ever be... “cast into outer darkness: where there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth”.

18. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

have you forgot about the other 2 servants in this text ?

if you say that the servant we are talking about is unsaved because he did not do anything with the 1 talent--then you will have to say the other 2 servants with 5 and 10 talents were saved because they done something with the talents they had--this only leads to works and not grace for salvation--and we both know its ALL of GRACE I hope

So you must say all 3 were saved by grace and the Lord left out after giving them gifts--then at his return he is gonna reward those servants according to their works--as 1st Corin says that the FIRE shall try every man's work of what sort it is

19. stilllearning

HisWitness

You don’t understand.
    This passage has “NOTHING” to do with SALVATION!
    It is talking about rewards in Glory for true Christians in the Local Church!

The first two “Church members” being talked about, were truly saved;
    Therefore they were FAITHFUL and were rewarded for their faithfulness!
    But the 3rd “Church member”, wasn’t even saved, so he was sent to hell!

It is talking about the REAL CHANGE that takes place in REAL CHRISTIANS!
    (And the RELIGIOUS PRETENSE that takes place with unsaved Church members!)
    --------------------------------------------------
    A lot can be learned about you from your very first post, mentioning this parable.
    You said.........
    “I do Hold to the Security of the Believer--that has nothing to do with the rewards they suffer for their deeds--People want to try and make it where the Saints will have it made in the shade--no matter how they act or do--that is NOT what the scripture teaches--more is expected and required from the Saints than the unbelievers--and those Saints who know to do good and do it not--MANY stripes will they be beaten with”

It looks like you have an axe to grind, because you somehow want CHRISTIANS to be PUNISHED in heaven for unfaithfulness!
    (You will have to find another religion for that, because in Christianity, Saints who do not follow God’s instructions are punished in this life, by CHASTENING and only experience a “loss of reward” in heaven!)

Also the Scripture you used about being beaten with many stripes, is talking about the unsaved in hell, not Christians in heaven!

20. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Remember Quite Well....

...a visitor coming up to me after the service and telling me that she loved the music and my message was superb! She went on to ask me how her, and her husband could get into the "inner-circle" of the church without having to go through the time and hassle of growing and getting to know everyone. She then added that she liked the idea that we were a small church [between 100-200 people], as that gave her a chance to get close to my wife and me!

Those were truly the most audacious question/statements I ever heard, but she was only seeking what she had found in other churches.

Good post, and an even better point...I wish cliques didn't exist, but wherever there are people, there is that totem pole, pecking order system. I do not believe this will be so in heaven, and these kinds of folks will have an awakening like nobodies business. So will those who don't like to sing a lot. I take it to mean, in Revelations that the singing of worship and praise to God goes on endlessly! :smilewinkgrin: