1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a comparison

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by donnA, Feb 24, 2007.

1. amity

amity New Member

Omigoodness, I hear it all the time. People deny depravity more often than not. Right here on BB.

Yeah, as a matter of fact! But the question is not... are we compelled to do only evil every second of our lives without respite. The question is... can we initiate a relationship with God without God extending His grace to us first?

Plus, look at the OP:
    "Lets let each side explain what they believe and why, without bashing someone or what they believe.
    For a simple comparison I'm starting here, but will no limit anything to one site."

So this is hopefully not just another thread with each side showing the other's mistakes! ;) I think clearly stating the content of the two belief systems in a nutshell is a good place to start. We usually have about 8 or 10 threads of Arminians bashing Calvinism and vice versa going on here simultaneously. Don't need another one, do we?

#21 amity, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calvinists must have a really short memory, as I hardly see Lot "persevering" in S&G, yet was declared righteous. Doesn't quite fit the "P" as explained by the calvinist.

I don't know about the "process", but salvation is totally of God even if our faith is genuine. Since faith in Christ is required for salvation, it looks like God has given man responsibility.

#22 webdog, Feb 24, 2007
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to Pastor Larry, the highlighted is not what calvinism teaches. Is this "brand" the hyper kind, or classic calvinism? The calvinists can't even agree...

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show where...or by "denying depravity" are you referring to the aforementioned strawman I stated?
    I'm sorry, but Scripture tells us that God's creation was deemed "good". There was no "spark" of evil created within Adam and Eve.

We can NOT initiate a relationship with God of our own free will, and I don't see anyone on here stating such.

5. amity

amity New Member

Look, webdog, you may be the orthodox-est and most articulate Arminian ever. Good! Just who we need! Because this thread is about examining Arminianism. Let's keep a cool head and just look at Arminianism and what it really teaches. You may be a very good person to do that. And put the proving and disproving on the back burner for once.

As I think you can gather if you have actually read these posts, I am on fairly civil terms with actual Arminianism. (I said it was a sub-type of Calvinism! Highest praise I can give, right?) I will ask questions, but I will not attack Arminianism, as I think you will agree I have not thus far. In return, I would like the same consideration from you. Because that is not what this thread is about (hopefully!). Just deal with Arminianism and what it teaches.

As Gordon Slocum would say, were he here, "your turn!"

#25 amity, Feb 24, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's hard to deal with arminianism and what it teaches, if it is being misrepresented, yet slightly, or the opposite stance (calvinism) as being deemed the truthful of the two. We must first deal in errors of what is perceived as being truth before attacking the "errors" of the other.

7. amity

amity New Member

That is what we are trying to do in this thread. I tried to provide a couple of articles that present Arminianism (and Pelagianism) accurately and objectively. Did I succeed? If not, please post what Arminius believed in summary, or link us to a website.

#27 amity, Feb 24, 2007
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think it matter now what Arminius believed, if it is different then what arminians believe now. I spent about 3 hours on this, with numberous browers open to different sites, and I kpet find thing the same types of stuff.

9. amity

amity New Member

Pelagianism has been almost universally viewed as heresy for over 1500 years. The fact that it, in half-baked form, has now become the predominant Christian belief 'system' (I will not call it a theology) of modern America doesn't change that.

If anyone joins this thread with an attempt at a coherent statement of beliefs underpinning this view that man initiates faith himself, it will totally surprise me. I don't believe any such thing exists, which is why that Wikipedia article on Pelagianism is woefully short. They only seek legitimacy by passing themselves off as 'Arminians.' But let's not fall for that. That is not what they are.

II Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.​

#29 amity, Feb 24, 2007
  10. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Amity is quite right about what most people calling Arminianism is actually semi or full blown pelagianism.

Donna, Arminius believed that God gave all men a measure of faith. Then it was actually up to the man to believe or to not believe. Those God foresaw believing were elected.

He also believed that there was no salvic goodness in mankind.... or total depravity.... hense the need of a "measure of faith" or as some call "previenient grace". I don't think my spelling is correct on that... but I'm tired.

I think Grudem does a good job of explaining it. I'll look it up when I have time and try to post it here. I think it was Grudem.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Cool! :) See you tomorrow kids. :)

john.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    ----------------------------------------------

#32 rsr, Feb 24, 2007
  13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite right. Doesn't keep it from turning up repeatedly, even among folks who should know better. Perhaps it's because it's the kind of religion that men can understand - because they make the mistake of thinking God is like they are.

Well ... I suppose you are referring to Semipelagianism. My first objection is to the name of the thing itself, which, of course no adherent would lay claim to. After all, to be "half-heretic" isn't a particularly a satisfying label.

In addition, I believe it obscures the gulf that exists between Pelagianism on the one hand and Semipelagianism, Arminianism and Calvinism on the other. Pelagianism is monergistic, eliminating the need for God's grace at all. Now, however you feel about synergists, it seems to me that they are in an entirely different position than monergists who can practically do without grace.

14. amity

amity New Member

Yes, that is why I think the distinction between true Arminianism and Pelagianism is an important one to make. And to tell the truth, I don't see any distinction between the Pelagianism that passes for 'Arminianism' and the heresy of Pelagius. We have all heard purported 'Arminians' who will quote every single tenet of Pelagius verbatim and then attempt to portray that as Arminianism, to the endless confusion of practically everybody, as we have seen ample evidence of in this thread. I don't see anything 'semi' about it. True Arminianism I feel a certain kinship for and certainly don't want to lump them in with Pelagians. Their beliefs are quite different from Pelagius'. Webdog, for example, who i don't doubt is probably a very sincere and well informed Arminian who was quite justifiably offended to see Pelagian views portrayed as Arminian.

Gotta sign off for tonight, friends, so I can be bright eyed and bushy tailed in church tomorrow. G'nite.

#34 amity, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Arninism was declared a heresy in 1618.
    In 1618, they considered arminism to be pelagianism, that would be those people who were there and knew the teaching first hand.

16. amity

amity New Member

Did they consider it Pelagianism? Please show me where the overlap is. I may be missing it! Some people have tried to hybridize the two, yes, and that is what is going on today. If someone tells you that it is entirely up to man's "free will" to make a decision to believe, that is Pelagianism. If someone tells you God must first extend grace and change the heart, that is Arminianism. To me that is a fundamental difference after which there can be no real convergence. And sure enough on the other side we see faith versus works. Pelagians must in the end deny the saving work of Christ, as the Wikipedia article shows, because in the end they come to the view that they can of their own free will do all that is necessary to salvation. If it is of works, then it is no more of grace.

I think that although some Calvinists may consider Arminianism a heresy, EVERYBODY considers Pelagianism to be a heresy. Catholics, Calvinists, Arminians, Orthodox, Mormons, Copts, and everyone else! Even modern day Pelagians would consider Pelagianism to be a heresy if they recognized it for what it is. But the facade of 'Arminianism' seduces people into believing they are well within mainstream Christianity.

#36 amity, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello donnA.

The Remonstrance.

Article 3.
    [Deprivation - corresponds to the first of TULIP’s five points, Total Depravity]

That man does not posses saving grace of himself, nor of the energy of his free will, inasmuch as in his state of apostasy and sin he can of and by himself neither think, will, nor do any thing that is truly good (such as saving Faith eminently is); but that it is necessary that he be born again of God in Christ, through his Holy Spirit, and renewed in understanding, inclination, and will, and all his faculties, in order that he may rightly understand, think, will, and effect what is truly good, according to the Word of Christ, John 15:5, “Without me you can do nothing.”
    http://www.crivoice.org/creedremonstrants.html

Chuck Smith.

Free Will - Arminius believed that the fall of man was not total, meaning that there was still enough good left in man for him to will to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
    http://christianity.about.com/od/denominations/a/calvinarminian.htm

Chuck Smith. :)

In these five articles they advocated conditional rather than absolute predestination, universal rather than limited atonement, the necessity of regeneration and transformation through the Holy Spirit, and the possibility of both resistance to and rejection of God’s grace.
    http://www.crivoice.org/creedremonstrants.html

Is Arminius saying that a man must be born again before he can decide to resist or accept salvation?

john.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

This is from the official document, arminianism was considered heresy by the church who knew the original teachings of arninianism, even back then they associated the original teaching with Pelagianism.

http://www.reformed.org/documents/i...www.reformed.org/documents/synod_of_dort.html

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

your statement proves point 5, Lot was declared righteous, not based on himself or anything he did, but based on God alone, perseverance means not losing salvation, if Lot was declared righteous, despite what he did and how he lived, the he did persevere.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

gotta go kids and read a chapter of a book for class tonight, and get supper ready.