1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A connection between PRAYER (intercession) and Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

1 Timothy 2
    1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men,
    2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
    3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
    4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
    6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.
    7 For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
    8 Therefore I want the men in all places to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.

This seems to imply that prayers on behalf of men can bring them to the truth and salvation.

2 Thessalonians 1
    11 To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power,
    12 so that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

There seems to be a "chain" of cause and (potential) effect:
    1. prayer
    2. God accounts worthy of calling (ie, "chooses"; cf. "many called but few chosen", Matt 20:16)
    3. glorification with Jesus Christ

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is one of the great Calvinistic truths ... that God works through the prayers of men to bring about his will in saving those chosen from before the foundation of the world.

But putting two passages that are unconnected together is not a good way to argue unless you show how they are related.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep....

Good verses. Oftentimes I am guilty of NOT praying for our leaders.
    Sure... I gripe about them often, but I'm not praying for them as I should.

4. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

The prayers are to be made for all men and God makes it clear it includes kings and all who are in authority (meaning those who might be antagonistic toward Christianity which was the case much of the time at that time) as well as everyone else, not just people we like or favor or our own. And then God makes it clear he desires that ALL MEN be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

Of course for some the second "all men" magically becomes only those that eventually believe instead of the obvious contextual use, inclusive of all humans. And even worse the third "all", for whom Christ was a ransom, well that is crudely and erringly forced by some to magically be reduced to only those that believe.

But never minding those horrible errors the passage does make clear that our prayers are commanded and effectual regarding the gospel, enlightenment of others and their eventual salvation. As well our prayers are effectual for establishing peace and tranquility that we may live lives before such and with such in a godly and dignified manners.​

5. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

1 Timothy 2 talks about "Salvation".

2 Thessalonians 1 talks about "God counting you worthy of your calling".

It seems clear to me that Salvation = God counting you worthy.

Is this not true?