1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Determinist Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the Light { or perhaps darkness}
    let me introduce you to the scriptures;

Calvinists believe Deut 29;29..there are secret things.....and there are
    revealed things.....like God's covenant which we study and believe..seeing what part of the eternal decree he has revealed to the church;

QUOTE]but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law[/QUOTE]

ITL. Whosoever will may believe the truth of the doctrines of grace. Whosoever will not may follow Benjamin and let him philosphize them into a coma:laugh::laugh:

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is the scriptures that are God given and consistent. By God's grace I believe them and continue to grow in grace and knowledge.
    The scriptures cannot be broken. the whole bible is a revelation of God's eternal purpose as i posted in the other thread..I will post it here again, so benjamin can claim i am proof texting again:laugh:

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. Is condescension a standard part of your service?

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, the five points of the Remonstrance were written by godly men as well. But you would hold them in error, in much the same way I do those confessions you post. I disagree with quite a bit of the Remonstrance, especially how one can forfeit their salvation, YUCK!

Can't say I disagree with any of this. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

YUCK!

6. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

How are you reading article 5? I see it not as a denial of perseverance but as an affirmation of it. It says it doubts that any can teach that some can fall away, or at least that such apparent passages that indicate such are not yet fully persuasive.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That sounded/looked to me like they could forfeit their salvation to me. However, I could be wrong. I am prone to these "moments" you know?

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Are you asking him if he is either a strong or moderate calvinist here?

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ITL....it is when you post this;
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iconoclast
    It is not foreknowledge...it is God's omniscence that he knows all things, and yet the ham and swiss is God's provision for you....The why it happened this way...is part of the secret things of God.

I see, so "it's a mystery, and some day we will know the answer". Now, where have I heard that before. Oh yeah!

Then you link saying cals are copping out....I figure if you want to communicate in that way...i will respond to you in the same way so you will get it. If you are sincere...you get a sincere response.....when you want to ridicule or mock....like here again;

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yes, Jon

I read the 5th point as to acknowledging in our humanity that there is ambivalence regarding this point. It appears, in an honest way that JA was unsure and unconvinced. It does not appear to me, as it seems to appear to some, that he felt God in anyway incapable.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast posted...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A big difference I see between the way these two views are presented is that the Remonstrates are saying that they believe "these things" can not be taught in full assurity, or good conscience to only be interpreted to mean only one thing (meaning strict determinism while effectually voiding free will) and "these things" yet need to be "more particularly determined" and they are not willing to settle on some boxed-in soteriological view pertaining to the matter. OTOH, the 1689 confessions profess to have the answers and the authority to declare their view correct. It seems rather cultic to me for someone to say these views of the 1689 confessions are what others must believe to have or know the truth. Not much has changed in the attitudes of those who go about to teach "these things" as facts and it seems kind of apostolic in nature to think of one's self to be an authority in the matter and to decalre it truth by the authority of the confessions is to adopt that disturbing type of mindset. Plus, those that do strictly hold to it (determinism) have through the times come up with disturbing doctrines about the nature of God to maintain their view as settled and correct.

#52 Benjamin, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Remonstrance" ....sounds like an Italian eatery in Little Neck Queens. :laugh:

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

God determines all things, but not quite in the manner in which you describe. You ask a complicated question along the lines of, "Did your wife enjoy it when you stopped beating her?" where any answer that one gives will automatically be incriminating and wrong.

Rather, we have a scnenario where God is ultimately in control of every sub-atomic particle in the cosmos. He HAS to be in order to be God, for if ANYTHING could over-rule Him, that thing would exert more power than Almighty God, so logically, like it or not, God IS sovereign (at least the God self-revealed in Scripture).

But, the WAY He controls all things is where fatalistic determination falls short, for there IS NO SUCH THING. If that were so, we could neither love God nor have any reason for faith, both of which God has decreed (indeed, unless He ordained and created both the concepts and the ability there would be neither!). Take your example of lunch next Friday, for instance. God already KNOWS what you will eat for lunch next Friday. He knew that before He created you. Further, He also knew/knows WHY you will eat what you will eat (or not). There is no state of being that you can adopt that God doesn't already know -- and that He didn't plan -- and yet, your action to eat whatever for lunch is FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE an absolutely FREE action based on your will and based on your circumstances.

And there is your answer... God can SO easily arrange circumstances to suit His divine will that He can and does whatever He needs to do to insure that His will is true always (there is NO other state that His will can inhabit, for to will is to be as far as God is concerned -- think about that for a bit). That God can will every particle in the cosmos is beyond human comprehension, but not beyond human logic, nor beyond Scriptural revelation, both of which admit that an all-powerful, all-knowing God could/can do all.

Your objection then is the problem of evil, which is only a problem for rebellious human beings who reject the fact that God is God. From His perspective, there is no true rebellion nor any true problem with evil. He wills and it is -- period. To US, there is a problem with evil, for our moral compass is skewed when we see what appears to be great evil in the world -- as if God neither cares nor is powerful enough to halt -- BUT -- in the plans of God that evil has a purpose and I expect that we will become fully aware of that purpose once we see face-to-face ALL of the facts that God was manipulating in order to bring about His good and perfect will for His divine purpose (only one), and for His ultimate glory.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

GL, do you see any distinction between "control" and "authority". As I see it God had complete "authority" and can exercise complete "control" whenever and however He sees fit. I do not "believe" that omniscience = determinism.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

GL, your post #54 is really helpful to my understanding, and I'm sure it is to others, as well.

I would describe it as brilliant, but I wouldn't want to create any situation where you might quit being humble.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Nor do I... Determinism (in the fatalistic sense that it is used) is a red herring argument used against Calvinism.

Allah is a fatalistically-deterministic god. The God of the Bible created creatures in His image -- cursed by their fall into sin and in a state of separation from God -- and yet possessing free moral agency (in a limited fashion -- we DO NOT have libertarian free will as did Adam (Eve), the first and only "free man" on this earth until Christ was born a man) that brings with it culpability for sin.

God both knows and arranges all things but does not "determine" in such a fashion so as to eliminate the free moral agency of people -- something that to Him is literally child's play because of two reasons: First, He knows EXHAUSTIVELY all things, down to the quantum level movement of sub-atomic particles and guides them as He wills, and second, what He wills IS, for anything else would make God something other than God.

Now, a question back atcha... By what scenario could God WILL something and it not be? How would God reconcile that sort of issue? And, is that not precisely what those who hold that God does not control all things by the power AND authority of His will are saying?

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thank you, and I am actually considerably a humble man. God sees to it. I have my own "thorns in the flesh" to make sure I stay that way. for instance, fingers that are currently bleeding while I type on the keyboard and a host of birth defects that could make my life a living hell at any given moment.

I'm not here arguing this stuff to just make people angry, to illicit a response, etc. I lay my neck before the King's sword and give Him permission to do with me as He would like. Not that I have to... I GET to!

That He would take a vile sinner such as I and give me life and hope and love is beyond comprehension to me. That is not an act -- it is a VERY real thing in my life.

Now, back to the party... :laugh:

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That explains it, it is all simply an allusion to us that what is (all things including the origins of evil) “actually” under the ultimate control of God, which is a must in order to be sovereign btw, which isn’t “fatalistic determinism” btw, because what appears to be an “absolutely” necessity to avoid theological fatalism in reality it is not actually “absolute” …it is just us rebellious types that believe things like evil being attributed to God’s nature and things like absolutes which cannot be true and can be true at the same time that is what is the problem here; it’s that darn perspective of ours that “truth” is actually “truth”. It's all in the “way” He controls all things, you see, God be can true and not true at the same time, because Truth doesn’t “actually” exist, …got it!

:rolleyes:

#59 Benjamin, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why the anger? Is that of God? Or is it of the rebellious enemy of God?

You are CONSTANTLY on this board telling us that YOUR POSITION represents God and God's Word, and yet you are SO SO SO ANGRY. That is not God. That is YOU. Can you not see it? Guess not...

Why not do what I mentioned above and start with the first verse of the Bible and we'll examine the Scriptures together to see what God has indeed said.

Question for you, because I know that the Parable of the Sower is one of the proof-texts that those holding a free will position often use. What is the seed sown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.