1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A different perspective... back lashing against scholarship

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Tatian, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Tatian

Tatian New Member

I generally read more about the problems with the scholarly community, regardless as to whether they are conservative or not. I would like to remind believers the serious debt we owe to the scholarly community. If they hadn't been a tool the Lord allowed, we would not have Concordances, references, Bible Dictionaries, Hebrew and Greek Lexicons, commentaries, and every other translation of the bible that isn't Hebrew and Greek.

Consider this. We so frequently say the bible is a simple document that was written so that any
    may understand, but perhaps that is, ironicly, to
    simple an answer. We may also say Jesus took 12 men who were unlearned. Imagine if you took 12 unlearned men and placed them within the greatest learning institution possible. Do you believe those 12 simple men would be the same after four years?
    Consider also that Paul and Luke have written the majority of the NT, extremely educated men. Finally, Hebrews, the crown jewel of the bible in
    educated writting. In the words of Barclay, the level of Greek was so incredible, it would have made the most eloquent of greek oratists proud.
    It has gotten to the point I believe when people start talking about the inappropriate love
    of scholarship, they are making a pre-emptive defense. Give credit where it is due. And it is ritchly due.