1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A different question about Bible versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Nicholas25, Apr 16, 2007.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only one who is claiming that we "Bible experts" who know everything is Jon-Marc.

Don't go, but simply read for a while, study up and give an answer for the faith you have in God and His Word and the English version of that Word you have chosen.

Discuss the verses in particular from the version in particular that you find offensive.

Maybe we will learn something, maybe you will learn something.

HankD

2. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I've gone to KJVO churches, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it was a "sin" to read other versions.

I've got an array of versions, but I'm pretty much KJVO for myself as I serve his "Son", not just his "Servant" (Acts 3:26), I beleive "too superstitous" is not the same as "very religious" (Acts 17:22), and I beleive I am "saved", not "being saved" (1 Corinthians 1:18).

I do use the others when I want to see context when someone quotes a verse.

Tim

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

A question to those who live in other parts of the world: What are the eagles like in your area?

I have observed that even vultures are majestic while soaring, BTW. What do vultures eat when there is no roadkill?

One thing that I have found to be beneficial is when reading about animals or plants with which I am familiar, I look them up to see what they are like in Israel, particularly if I can find out what they were like when the Scriptures were written.

Swine, for example, aren't the lazy, fat, rolling around in slop animals that I had on the farm when growing up. They are more akin to javelinas, which are fierce and vicious, but do enjoy a good roll in the muck.

Goats, are soft-haired animals that were used to make wigs. Think about this when reading about Jacob and Esau, and look at the root Hebrew words.

There are mustard trees in the area of Palestine, as well as South America, although the ones in South America, I don't think were being talked about.

There are more, and I always find more that I have not looked up. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes not.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Amen! I second that. :thumbs:

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Askjo,

Your opinions would have more credibility on this board if you would provide some support for your beliefs and quotations. All we have gotten so far is the run-around. It is not ethical to make statements such as "the NKJV disagreed with the TR 800 times", and then when challenged for proof say "If you want to get his research, GO to Waite's website!" without AT LEAST posting the web address.

6. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because (1) the TR was not the earliest original language text available, and/or (2) the TR translation was not the translation of the majority of texts available and/or (3) the KJV translators interpreted the original language phrases inconsistently from one passage to another, or perhaps a combination of 2 or all 3 of these.

The authoritative texts are those copies and manuscripts in the original languages (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic) -- NOT the KJV. Ultimately translators must weigh the meaning and authority of the manuscripts using complex methods of interpretation. This is not much different than what the KJV interpreters did in the early 1600's -- only now we have a vast wealth of other source material and manuscripts which we've discovered in the last 400 years.

Oh, and incidentally, usually if the NKJV alters the reading of a verse found in the KJV, it is noted in the margin, giving the original KJV interpretation.

JDale

7. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ah.....WHAT?!? Hmmm...Do you ever check the Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic there OT?

JDale

#47 JDale, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Oh, and do you believe God leaves no man sure of life?

9. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. :laugh:

I believe I John 5:13 - "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may KNOW that you have eternal life" (NASB).

The cute little pat, Fundamentalist retorts won't work with me -- I've had over 20 years to learn how to parry them...

JDale

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Parry that with the nkjv's Job 24:22 then.:tonofbricks:

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, did I miss something, here? Explain what is the supposed doctrinal difference, here, please. And how does this passage refer to "eternal life", in the first place? Sounds like some good and fanciful eisegesis, to me.

Ed

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ed,

You must not be reading with your '[SIZE=-1]SuperKJVOfragmentalisticexplainadocrinious'
    glasses. (My sincerest apologies to Mary Poppins.)

:laugh:
    [/SIZE]

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Now that's a mouthful! :laugh:

I think Mary would be proud!

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Duh, consider the context of Job 24 and then "parry" the false statement found in the other versions when compared doctrinally with the entirety of Scripture concerning life: mortal and immortal.

Fancy the fact that all the verses leading up to verse 22 are dealing with the antics of wicked and evil men.

The Lord Jesus Christ does NOT! fit the context. (nor the Hebrew)

#54 Salamander, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can be sure of eternal life because Jesus said we would "never perish" but I don't know if I will survive even this very day in my mortal body.

HankD

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Ok, sure, but then you have to deal with John 10:10. Unless of course you're trying to pit Jesus against God.

The Hebrew doesn't support the deity even being suggested in Job 24:22.

The KJB has it right and according to doctrine and context.

I may not be sure if I'll be alive tomorrow, but God hasn't risen up to make anyone unsure of life either.

The context determines that evil men seduce and deceive with their power to ensnare men with their craftiness even to the point of taking the lives of their victims by their threatenings to steal their goods. That is the context of Job 24.

Parry,parry,parry.:tonofbricks:

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay - possibly a valid point.

The where is God in the Greek in Romans 6v2?

What's good for the goose is usually not for for the gander in this arguement.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Look at the quotation from other site:

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Gotcha - its okay to insert God's name in Romans but not okay in Job. Now I understand - thanks for clarifying that.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reference stuck me as odd.
    The Oxford English Dictionary usually doesn’t define phrases.
    I’ve looked for the source of this reference before and have never found it...

…until now.

It’s under “Forbid”: (OED F. pp. 416, 417)
    It merely says that it is a phrase that was noted in the KJV in 1611.
    It doesn't provide ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL that it was correctly translated.

Rob