1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A dilemma (?) :Conscience and/or Conscientious

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UZThD, Dec 18, 2006.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

My dictionary defines the former as "...conformity to one's own sense of right conduct," and the latter as, "...thorough and careful."

I wonder ,if when being critical, as recently regarding Bethany of Dothan, these twinges of regret for my words are due to conscience trying to break through snobby academia ,and should be heeded, or are to be rather smothered because the study of the Word must be conscientious.

The answer that the truth should be spoken in love, may require further defining as "what is truth," and what is to be loved most.

These Christmas breaks...too much time for reflection!:BangHead:

#1 UZThD, Dec 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Nothing wrong with high standards, especially when looking for yourself. I think it is just hard to figure what the difference between best,good,acceptable, and unacceptable are when setting standards which would apply to others. There are many things to look at when looking for schools such as liberal,conservative,or fundamental,Calvinist or non-Calvinist,or whether the school thinks in the direction of HOW To more then WHY.

An education that might include you as eligable in one group would automatically exclude you in another.:godisgood:

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HZThD & POB Response.

Hey guys,

It is good to see the two of you are still thinking those deep thoughts.

I was wondering if the continuum of the "Indoctrination vs. Investigation" from one pole to the other could be used on some level as application for the conundrum posed above?

This has long been a problem in SBC circles. If you "investigate" too deeply then you are considered a "liberal." If you "indoctrinate" too deeply then you are considered a "fundamentalist." Seems like the old "darn if you do--darn if you don't" puzzle to me?

Let me know what you think. As usual I look forward to the responses from the two of you and others.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    P O B Follow Up!

Bill,

Does it have to be one or the other? Why can we not take the best of both worlds and come to some synthesis?

An example might be:

Must we choose between the "Historical-Grammatical" method over against the "Historical-Critical" method? It seems that in my formal education in "them-thar 'Liberal schools,'" they made me think of some things and on some levels I would not have been forced to have thought other wise!

Just a short thought follow up!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

====

I'm not sure that it would be wrong for a Conservative to get training in a liberal school or a Calvinist in an Arminian school. What I am pondering is whether one desiring a graduate degree in Bible/Theology should opt for a more rigorous or a more easy program of study, and whether I should criticize schools offering only the more easy programs.