1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Doctrine for Cowards

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Protestant, Apr 26, 2014.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Okay, I didn't have to use your name. I will try to remember that in the future. As you said, It was just a hypothetical; no offense was meant.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you place so much confidence in an unsaved man to buttress your case. But in the interest of acquiring more information please fill in the gaps. Elaborate.
    I commented on Tregelles because you demeaned a man of God by slandering him. I came to his defense.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Another example: When Charles Taze Russell was in Canada he was taken to court on the charge of adultery. The point of his ability to read Greek came up at the trial. He was asked if he had that ability as he said he did. He answered in the affirmative. A Greek NT was placed in front of him and he couldn't read a word. He was almost kicked out of the country for fraud and perjury, let alone adultery.
    The courts (the unsaved) had no interest in the evangelicals or the doctrine of the J.W.'s. Concerning religion, per se, they were neutral and objective. Their concern was with other matters: adultery, ability to read a foreign language, fraud, etc.
    Likewise the professor's opinion on whether or not this so-called text would hold up as a "text" in a court of law. It wouldn't. It is entirely "eclectic." He looked at the evidence and drew his conclusion. He didn't have a bias to start with.
    He wasn't like Protestant: prove post-trib by using post-trib sources.
    He wasn't like others: "My position is right because I say it is."
    He had no reason to take either position. He was completely neutral.
    I didn't slander him. My views on the TR are very strong. Such a discussion does not belong here. You can find those discussions in the version forum--plenty of them. So that is off topic. Concerning eschatology his view is post-trib, and therefore not relevant.

4. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rev 7:3
    3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Mat 24:29-31
    29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven:and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Rev 6:12-17
    12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
    13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
    14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
    15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
    16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
    17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Obviously this event comes, immediately before the Wrath is poured out.

You have to be educated to be stupid enough to not see that.

Of course, you probably think that the Great Tribulation lasts for 7 years...So this is meaningless to you:

Dan 12:12
    12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is in the context of the Lord sealing 144,000 Jews during the time of the Great Tribulation, which, yes does last for seven years.
    This describes the Second Coming of Christ immediately at the end of that Seven Year Tribulation when Christ comes in His glory to defeat the enemies of Israel as described at the end of Revelation 19.
    This is one of those passages that is not chronological. Many dispensationalists believe all the seals, trumpets and vials are in order. For the most part they are. But I don't believe the seals are, at least not all of them. This one definitely takes place at the end right before Christ comes. There is terror in the eyes of the world. They know he is about to come and take his vengeance upon them.
    There is no need for name-calling. I gave you my interpretation and can back it up. There are many reasons to believe it is seven years, not the least that the Bible itself declares it to be.
    There is an additional time added on. It is there most likely to take time for the Judgment of the nations (dividing of sheep and goats) before the actual reign of the Millennial Kingdom can start. We don't know. It doesn't say. We do know the world will be a mess--physically. A great war will have just taken place. The earth will somehow be turned from this horrible mess into a pristine place like the Garden of Eden. How? We don't know. Is that time related to the preparation of the Millennial Kingdom? I don't know. There are many things we don't know.

Eye has not seen, ear has not heard...

6. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Humpty-Dumpty dispensationalism.

You divide up so much, you can't get it back together again.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't divide history into various periods of time. The Lord Himself did.
    The Bible is a book of history, in fact it is His Story.
    Historically he starts with Creation, and then the Fall, and then the Flood, and then on to Moses and the deliverance of Israel from Egypt, and so on. Most of this history is given by Stephen in a very good summary in Acts 7 as he preached to the Israelites, and then was stoned as Christianity's first martyr.
    The Church Age had just begun and will end when Jesus comes for his own.
    The entire OT is a history of the nation of Israel.
    Do you have something against history? Something against those periods of time in history where God deals with his own that we call dispensations?

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have something against our fascination with calling the passing of time "periods".
    Where does God tell us to divide the world's history into periods?

Sure , the Flood is a Marker, we just about started over that year.
    But, why is anything before or after that a period?

Who decides what qualifies as a period, and where it starts and ends?

The Darwinists like "periods", and, hmmmm, they also were getting pretty popular in Darby's day.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Lord divides the time:
    Heb 1:1-2
    1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

"in times past" he spoke
    "In these days spoke to us"

He tells us here about dispensations. When he spoke, how he spoke, to whom he spoke, why he spoke, etc. This is the basis of dispensationalism. It is just one of many, many verses.

10. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Times past does not equal "periods".

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Combined with "sundry times" or various different times, it does.

12. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, no it still doesn't.
    It means "at many different times and manners".

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

(CEV) Long ago in many ways and at many times God's prophets spoke his message to our ancestors.

(ESV) Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,

14. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Divers is synonomous with different.
    I could care less what the ESV says, and the only Common English Bible I know, is the Authorized one.

Heb 1:1
    1 God having spoken in many parts and in many ways formerly to the fathers in the prophets,
    (Darby)

Your guy put "parts" in there. Look familiar?

I work in a field, where the word "sundry" is used regularly.

"Diverse" is being whined about daily, in our society.

I know these two words.

1 God, that spak sum tyme bi prophetis in many maneres to oure fadris, at the
    (WYC)

1 God in tyme past diversly and many wayes spake vnto the fathers by Prophetes:
    (TyndaleBible)

These guys are at least in the lineage.

15. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

I might also add ‘Arminian.’

The point in using Tregelles as a witness against the ‘Secret Rapture’, which somehow escaped your comprehension, is the fact that, as a sincere Plymouth Brethren, he was once a die-hard Pre-Tribber, but changed his view upon serious study of the Scriptures, whereby he became a recognized authority on the Greek texts.

16. Protestant

I will review a few of the many Scriptures I have quoted.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

This Scripture speaks to martyrdom for one’s faith, not Christian living.

They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
    For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

This Scripture warns of losing one’s soul through believing the lies of Antichrist. It is not about Christian living.

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

This Scripture warns of losing one’s soul through believing the lies of Antichrist. It is not about Christian living.

I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

This Scripture speaks specifically to the impossibility of a pre-tribulation Rapture for the purpose of escaping the evil that shall come. It says nothing about Christian living.

In Logic this is called ‘begging the question’….assuming the 'Secret Rapture' which has yet to be proved.

I will, however, admit that millions of Christians have gone missing.

They were slaughtered by Antichrist.

Their blood cries out for vengeance.

How is it you cannot hear their cries?

Your method of prophetic Scripture interpretation has a name: Eisegesis.

When Jesus comes once, visibly, personally, and very loudly to Earth in wrathful Judgment at the end of the Age true believers alive at that time need not fear because God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ.

BTW, the ‘nasty’ doctrine of Predestination is taught in this verse.

God’s ‘appointments’ are all eternal before the foundation of the Earth….without the counsel, works, or faith of men or angels.

Alas, more eisegetical question begging.

Yet more eisegetical question begging.

Exactly. Jesus took our wrath-filled punishment upon the Cross.

Therefore, Christians should not fear the killing of their body done by Antichrist.

So glad you asked!

Solid, biblical, historical evidence is what I am all about!

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

This is a classic ‘Rapture’ Scripture.

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Another classic ‘Rapture’ Scripture.

In both verses the dead in Christ are raised in glorified bodies. This is the first resurrection. (Cf. Rev. 20:5)

In both verses those alive in Christ will be translated into their glorified bodies. This is the second phase of the first resurrection.

Ergo, since both verses teach the same event, i.e. the first resurrection, so then the trump of God in 1 Thess. MUST be the last trump of 1 Cor. 15.

17. Protestant

The wheat represent the sheep, the true Christians, the Bride of Christ.

The tares (similar in appearance to wheat) represent the goats, the false Christians, the Bride of Satan.

Ergo, the Lord’s command to His angels at the end of the Age: Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

By God’s grace alone I am a member of His Body, the Bride of Christ.

The Scripture cited says nothing of a resurrection.

Instead, it speaks of a separation; a categorizing of those alive at Christ’s one-time, visible, personal, very loud Return in Judgment.

Futurism and Dispensationalism go hand in hand. Are you denying you are a Dispie? If so, Praise the Lord!

Allow me to quote the respected non-Christian historian, Edward Gibbons, who has no bias toward Christianity:

(Source: http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap16.htm#conc )

The central theme of the mystery of iniquity perpetrated by Mystery Babylon and Antichrist is that of an ongoing life and death struggle and war between Satan’s false Roman church, posing as true Christianity, and Jesus Christ’s true church of the Elect, comprised of both Gentiles and Jews.

This war was announced in the Garden: Genesis 3:15, and will continue until the one-time, visible, personal, very loud Return of the Lord in Judgment.

Antichrist has come and has been with us for at least one thousand years, as Martyrs and Reformers have testified with their blood.

The fact that you and millions of other professing Christians do not recognize the Antichrist, the Man of Sin, the Son of Perdition, The Beast from the Abyss, is proof of the true nature and efficacy of the mystery of iniquity.

Unless the Lord reveals it by His Spirit (‘Revelation’), the mystery of iniquity will remain just that……a mystery.

I will be posting an in-depth treatise on this very subject which has the Word of God for its authority.

As confused as the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith?

I will be posting another in-depth treatise concerning the impossibility that the Pope of Rome could have fulfilled the prophecies by ‘mere coincidence’…..much like it is impossible Jesus Christ could have fulfilled the prophecies by ‘mere coincidence.’

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church of Rome, or the papacy were NOT the foretold Antichrist to come, as a sure sign would be that IF either of them were, the Lord Jesus would have returned in His second coming, and there would be a Millinual reign going on right now, and all of us would have been glorified by now!