1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Dream Forgotten?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, “The word from me is firm: if you do not make known to me the dream and its interpretation, you shall be torn limb from limb, and your houses shall be laid in ruins.
    Daniel 2:5, ESV

The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, The thing is gone from me: if ye will not make known unto me the dream, with the interpretation thereof, ye shall be cut in pieces, and your houses shall be made a dunghill.
    Daniel 2:5, AV 1873

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2:5 The king replied to the wise men, “My decision is firm. If you do not inform me of both the dream and its interpretation, you will be dismembered and your homes reduced to rubble! (NET]

Here is the footnote for the disputed phrase:
    It seems clear from what follows that Nebuchadnezzar clearly recalls the content of the dream, although obviously he does not know what to make of it. By not divulging the dream itself to the would-be interpreters, he intends to find out whether they are simply leading him on. If they can tell him the dream’s content, which he is able to verify, he then can have confidence in their interpretation, which is what eludes him. The translation “the matter is gone from me” (cf. KJV, ASV), suggesting that the king had simply forgotten the dream, is incorrect. The Aramaic word used here (אַזְדָּא, ’azda’) is probably of Persian origin; it occurs in the OT only here and in v. 8. There are two main possibilities for the meaning of the word: “the matter is promulgated by me” (see KBL 1048 s.v.) and therefore “publicly known” (cf. NRSV; F. Rosenthal, Grammar, 62-63, §189), or “the matter is irrevocable” (cf. NAB, NIV, TEV, CEV, NLT; HALOT 1808 s.v. אזד; cf. also BDB 1079 s.v.). The present translation reflects this latter option. See further E. Vogt, Lexicon linguae aramaicae, 3.

I like the NASB95, the command from me is firm. :)

#2 Van, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, when Daniel recounted Neb's dream to him, Neb's memory coulda been awakened for him to remember it. However, he was impressed that Daniel knew the dream's content, so thus he believed God's interp of it thru Daniel.

This accomplished several things: it warned Neb of coming events if he didn't worship God, showed him that the Chaldean soothsayers' "powers" were false, and served warnings to those Chaldeans themselves to drop their "black magic".

4. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel 2:5 The king hath answered and said to the Chaldeans, `The thing from me is gone; if ye do not cause me to know the dream and its interpretation, pieces ye are made, and your houses are made dunghills; (Young's Literal Translation)

I believe this was a divine act of God. God took the recollection of the dream from Nebuchadnezzar to expose the ineffectiveness of the Chaldeans and to exalt Daniel. Recalling the dream and it's interpretation could only come from God.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If Nebuchandnezzar had forgotten his dream he would have no way of knowing if the astrologers/magicians got it right or the interpretation of it.

He commanded that the dream be told to him by others so that he would know that the interpretation of it was accurate and a true prophesy.

So no, he didn't forget his dream.